“Pick your campsite according to your desires”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shenandoah National Park
Loft Mountain Campground
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We are a family of four (Mom, Dad, two daughters-13 and 15) and fairly hardcore tent campers. Loft Mountain is our favorite "front country" camping in Shenandoah. This is located in the lower half of the park in the "wilderness" area. It is possible to get a decent wooded tent campsite, right on the Appalacian Trail, in the A8 area of the campground. The A8 area is first come first serve (A8a is our favorite, but all in this section are good). The A10 area is also first come first serve tent camping. HOWEVER, A10a and A10b can be reserved--these two campsites are not only on the Appalacian Trail, they have an absolutely spectacular clear view of the mountains and a million dollar view in the fall. I always find it frustrating when I am trying to locate campsites for places that I have not been, so I hope this will be helpful to those of you who are planning to come to Shenandoah and hoping to find the right site. If you are an RV camper, this is also an excellent campground. The sites are very easy to pull in and out and most have a reasonable sized hedged area in each site for privacy--I hate that "middle of the field" feeling no matter how I'm camping. The A 25 area is particularly nice nand part of it is reservable. I hope this is helpful and that those of you who visit have a wonderful time. The hiking ís fantastic!

Room Tip: See above for my idea of the best campsites
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
64  Thank MatildasFamily

Reviewed 14 December 2010

We've been to this campground every summer for the past three years, usually in June or August, and have always found it to be a pleasurable experience very time. Personally, we tent-camp and as long as we stay in one of the tent-only loops, the atmosphere is quite stunning away from generator noise from RVs elsewhere. The campground's location on top of the mountain produces stunning, unobstructed views of the nightsky. A campstore, laundry and showers are located a few hundred feet downhill from the campground, a restaurant-giftshop-gas station complex are located further down the road at a juncture with Skyline Drive. An amphitheater with ranger-led programs also runs, usually on the weekends. Lastly, the Appalachian Trail also runs on the periphery of the campground, so access is easy from multiple points.

• Stayed: August 2010
9  Thank ec_globetrotter
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We loved our visit to Loft Mountain. We were here Oct 22-25th. My husband and I and 2 children ages 3 and 1. I believe we stayed in site F120. It was a busy weekend we did not have reservations. We got there around 1pm on Friday and luckily they had spots open. They did not fill until Saturday. Reservations are recommended especially in the summer and fall. I was told that this campground was full the last 6 weekends. The other campgrounds like Big Meadows fill first.

Our site was clean and private with trees and plants surrounding it. It was very quiet at night. It was in the 70's during the day but got cold at night with the wind. The first night is was down to 36. I would recommend bringing plenty of warm clothing in the spring and fall just in case. I think it is usually windy at night.

The bathrooms were heated and clean. It was a little bit of a hike. There are showers by the Camp store. Those were nice and heated. There is a nice camp store for supplies. There is a small Wayside restaurant that sells hot dogs, burgers, fries and things. I wish we would have brought more to cook with. I kind of got tired of that kind of food but that is just me.

We did not see any bear but did see plenty of Deer and they came right up to our campsite.

We did go to Big Meadow that was fun to visit and see the Meadow area. I'm glad we did not camp there though. Although it was nice I think I liked Loft Mountain more. It was more private and campsites were further apart.

I would recommend this campground to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
14  Thank Tracy19288
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We stayed for 3 nights over Labor Day. The campground had no vacancy but we had made reservations. Only part of the campground is available for reservations. Overall the campground is clean and well kept. My husband says the camp store is one of the nicest he's seen (although they lost electricity for about 36 hours so we had to pay for things in cash). There is a wayside store at the entrance to the campground on Skyline Drive with a restaurant. I didn't see the showers or washing machines, but the building looked pretty okay.

I think we stayed at 32F and I would not recommend it for the reasons I'm about to state- but many other sites looked quite nice. 32F is extremely small. We have a 6 person tent and it was very difficult to even put it up without getting in the way of the fire pit. On our site was a bear box, picnic table, fire pit and tent- all within about 1 adult step from one another. We had no other choice. So our screen shelter and camp kitchen had to be placed beside this walkway. In fact I wouldn't recommend 32 D, E or F- all of those sites are super small. 32 A and B are more along the road and very large- but more in a open grassy area. We saw no wildlife in our actual campsite save a small wayward bunny. But my kids are into bugs and caterpillars so they were more than pleased.

That being said- there are plenty of campsites that looked very roomy. And some - around the 10A section look right over the mountain into the valley- beautiful views. Don't quote me but I tried to take a mental note- that other than the "10" section- the odd number sites (from about 11 to about 25) seemed to have more space than some others. I would stay here again overall.

There are 2 great little hikes right at camp. And on one of these we finally saw a deer. I've seen a thousand deer, but I still love seeing more- they make me freeze in my tracks just to watch. There is a nice hike around the camp itself- lots of apple trees, berry bushes and views around the 10A side of the camp. Then the Frazier Discovery Train is a neat little hike to a view (circuitous trail) with some cool sites. We hiked with out 6 and 3 1/2 year old. Nearby- there is a hike to a fall (can't remember the name) and we hiked down to the lower fall but with so little rain- it was more a trickle. And this particular hike was crowded down to the upper fall section. I think it's 3.5 miles to lower fall (took under 3 hours and we had "lunch" along the way). My daughter had to be carried for some of the trip back up.

In general- a nice campground.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
15.2 km away
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Loft Mountain Campground? Share your experiences!