“A Wonderful Day in September”
Review of Brooks Falls

Brooks Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: Area on the Brooks River where a large number of brown bears spend their summer due to salmon migration.
Reviewed 26 September 2017

We made it to Brooks Falls on a Saturday afternoon in September...two days before the lodge was closing. Getting to the falls was harder than we imagined - we didn't know that the bridge would close so often and for such lengths of time. In September, there are many bears downstream - and the bridge closings are often and timely. Twice, we had bears falls asleep right under the platform! We did eventually make it to the falls - and just enjoyed being there. There was no wait line- and at one point, there were five bears right at the falls (and maybe 4 more in the area).

The salmon are not jumping the falls in September, but if you still want to see the bears...we found it a good time to go. No waits, lots of bears, and No Mosquitoes!

Just be mindful of the bear jams if you do a daytrip . We did a one-night stay. After watching about eight people almost miss their flight the day before we left, we opted not to cross the river the day we were leaving...too risky. There were seven others on our 4 pm flight that made the same decision. The bridge didn't open until about noon - the people were told that if they had the 4:00 flight, based upon the high bear activity, they should not cross the river and expect to make the flight. They were right, we left without two people. Luckily, there were two people from the 5 pm flight that took their spot leaving two spots open on the later flight. Just be mindful if you are making a day trip - it might not always work out for the best.

There are pit toilets on the brooks falls side of the river...use them when you can - you just never know how long you might be stuck somewhere!

Other hikes in the area that we thought were good -
Dumpling Mountain - we went to the overlook - gorgeous!
Brooks Lake - like a sheet of glass - a lot of anglers
Cultural Site - we did the ranger talk, very good and interesting...more on the history of why the park is a national park.

3  Thank warrenville111
"three days"
"once in a lifetime"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Salmon jumping, bears shopping, humans in awe. It's that simple. An unprotected path traversed while we loudly talked, leads us to a sheltered platform. The elevated viewing area provided all an uncluttered scene of those large animals dining on Nature's gifts. Migrating salmon straining all they have to propel to the summit of the waterfall. Few succeed. Speechless tourists experience the breathtaking sights of Grizzlies while the sound of falling water drowns out conversation. Absolutely stunning and a privilege to all of us. A once in a lifetime pleasure.

4  Thank bill s
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I went to Brooks Falls with my son and daughter on a day tour with Katmailand departing from Anchorage the 3rd of August. Everything went as expected and it was an incredible experience to watch the bears. It is a lot of money but I decided to do it anyway because I thought that I will regret it afterwards if I didn't try. I don't know if I will ever travel to Alaska again, so I am very happy I did as much as I could while there. This place is a unique spot to watch the bears because they have so much salmon to eat that they are less territorial with other bears and with humans. No need to fight for food and territory if you have plenty. We saw mothers with their cubs, we saw young teenage bears and of course we saw adults. As they say: it is Bear Paradise. We had lunch at the Lodge and the price was reasonable and the food was good.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Definitely we will come back!Highlight in our trip to Alaska.When the grizzly bears are only 5 yards away from us we are all frozen.Dont be afraid.Calm down and you will survive