“An Overlooked Gem”

Look Rock Tower
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 24 April 2017

This tower is very similar to Clingman's Dome. However, you will not have as steep a grade to climb as you do with Clingman's Dome. The views in my opinion are just as spectacular as Clingman's Dome. This would be a great trial climb if you are worried about making it all the way up Clingman's Dome. Only one other couple was ahead of us and when we got to the top of the tower we had it all to ourselves!! Beautiful!!! Thank you Tennessee!

1  Thank Showme_10
in 4 reviews
"drive"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2017

We drove the Foothills Parkway specifically to go the Look Rock Tower. The view from the parking area alone is spectacular, but I had to chuckle at the people who just got out of their car, went over to the small outcrop at the railing, left, and completely missed the view from the tower at the top of the ridge. The park service is usually pretty good with directional signs, but they really need to put one in the parking lot with a map and an arrow pointing people to the trailhead at the upper end of the lot as neither the trail on the opposite side of the road nor the tower are visible from the lot. Also, I would not hesitate to take a stroller up the 1/2 mile paved path. With some help, I would also take a wheelchair. I have pushed my mother up to Clingmans Dome and it about did me in. This is a gentler incline and does at least curve up the hillside instead of going straight up the ridge. The last part is along the maintenance road, also paved, and the tower has a wide, level concrete ramp in three stages. The view is just as spectacular as Clingmans but a lot less crowded. Also, the road to Clingmans is closed in winter. If you have small children or limited mobility I would recommend doing Look Rock instead.

l

5  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 5 January 2017

We were just checking at the foothill parkway neat Townsend and saw the signs about the Tower so decided to check it out.....even before we got on the trail to the tower there was a good view from the parking lot but the tower was really nice and we were glad we checked it out...

1  Thank jlofton2016
Reviewed 16 December 2016

We had a little trouble finding it . There is a sign that points to the left but there is nothing there . I finally spotted a sign at the end of the road that said the trail is across the road . Its moderately strenuous . The weather was not good for our climb. It was rainy and foggy and there was no visibility whatsoever . We climbed to the top anyway just to see fog . The observation tower was locked and we couldn't go up anyway . It would be nice on a clear day .

1  Thank Cindy K