3,287 results
All reviews food court pizza pub minute walk grand canyon south rim national park air conditioning gift shop main building cafeteria style el tovar bright angel shuttle bus coffee maker nothing fancy second floor ceiling fan
Reviewed 20 June 2015

The mattress was worn out. The top rim of the mattress touched the bottom on the sides. Also, my husband is a disabled vet and they put us in the building that was the futherest from where the registration and eating area were. Most of the people in our tour group were elderly and the walk was hard for them. No golf carts or shuttle available to take us to rooms. People staying in room previously unplugged lamps, clock, etc. probably to charge electronics and we had to move furniture to plug them back in. This should be housekeeping's job.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
XanterraCorporate, Director of Sales at Maswik Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

I am sorry that you found the mattress in your Maswik Lodge room to be deficient. I will forward your comments to the Rooms Director. We do offer a bellman ride to the rooms, and your tour bus should have been able to park right in front of your lodge to load and unload. I apologize f9or the inconvenience of the walk to the lodge facilities.

Reviewed 18 June 2015 via mobile

Room was a small sweat box , no air con on South lodge is a joke in this millennium ! Then no wifi and holes in the bed sheets. Super small bathroom and cafeteria style eating We are experienced travellers and don't expect the moon in a lodge, but neither should it be third world If anything else is free book it ! Ps we set alarm for 6-30 am start back to Vegas, we left at 5-30 am as could wait to Escape. Directions also appalling

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
XanterraCorporate, Director of Sales at Maswik Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2015

Thank you for your comments on your stay in our Maswik Lodge, South section. These are our budget motel style rooms, the fan is not as effective during hot weather. This hotel slated to be replaced with a new lodge once the new Park Service contract is in place.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

A few friends and mine were taking a road trip and decided to randomly stay on the rim. As per other trip advisor reviews I decided this was our best bet. Yes the room was a bit pricey, however you do pay for the grounds. The room itself was decent, a bit musky but tidy and quite spacious. The views were absolutely stunning. Not much to eat here or drink for that matter and the cafeteria was very expensive for such low quality and poor variety. This is definitely for the adventurous heart, this is not a classy place. We missed the bus and we were too tired to drive around when we arrived but we did walk the trail and it was beautiful and quite dangerous. Having a flashlight on these grounds is necessary. Beautiful area, decent hotel, would definitely return if we pass by again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diana D
Reviewed 13 June 2015

We had a wonderful time at the Grand Cayon - South Rim. We traveled with our two teenage children (15 & 16). We had super cheap tickets from Chicago to Vegas on Spirit (I dont normally recommend Spirit due to bad experiences with them but in this case all went well and we had $87 RT tickets & with luggage $147 RT - cant beat that!)

We started off in Vegas for 5 nights. My kids got out of school for the summer the day we left. We were all in need of spending days pool side :) and our nights at the shows. We had rented a convertible (which was MUCH better in the evenings due to the bright sun) and after 5 days drove to the Grand Canyon. (the hotel kept most of our luggage for us for a $10 charge overnight) We only stayed one night at Maswik Lodge. I recommend staying two. I felt we really missed a lot by only staying one night. We got there around 4:30 and then left around 2pm the following day. I sure wish we had more time. We did not get a chance to see the IMAX which I was heard was very good.

Our trip was planned only two months in advance so I did not get a choice where to stay. Maswik was the only lodge with availability. Actually there was no availability when I first checked at any of the lodges, but I checked daily until I saw an opening and then I booked it in a hurry! Maswik was actually $80 cheaper than the Best Western outside of the park, so that was a major plus too. I was so excited when a room opened up. From my understanding there are two types of rooms. North rooms are more expensive than the South rooms. The room we had was in Yellow Pine and one of the more expensive rooms. I also saw cabins but I could not find the rates of those. Our room had a good AC unit, Ok beds, fridge, TV (which we never turned on), table and chairs. It was an average room but being in the Grand Canyon it gets High Marks. It was totally what I expected. It was Clean and Comfortable and located in a good location. The main building was a 3-4 minute walk with friendly workers, nice gift shop, pizza place and cafeteria. We ate there for dinner and lunch. There were lots of choices and the food was pretty average. The walk to the Rim was 6 minutes and we were in awe when we first saw it.

The first evening we took the Red line buses to the first 4 view points to the west before sunset. The next day my husband and daughter took a morning run along the same west view points but went up to the 5th stop. They took some incredible pictures early in the morning. I had to go to El Tovar to get my boarding passes. I walked in front of all the other village lodges and peeked in a few. I had a nice morning doing that as well. As a side note, I thought the employees at Maswik were more friendly than at El Tovar. One of the other lodges had an ice cream place called The Fountain (I think). I wish we would have discovered that the night before. We were able to check out of the lodge by just calling down to the mail building, which was handy.

After we checked out of the hotel around 9:30 we went to the Vistor Center to watch a movie and hop on the Yellow line that went to the east view points. We walked between two of the points which was on a nice trail.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying at Maswik. It is spread out but as long as walking is not a problem, you will find it enjoyable. Try to stay two nights if possible. We did not have time to see all of the points, and I really wish we would have. Also, I read the cost to get into the park was $25 but it was $30 when we were there (June 7-8). When getting there at 4:30pm, there was a very long line of cars to pay. I can only imagine it would be worse in the morning. That is another reason I am glad we stayed in the park. Such a wonderful experience to share with my family.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Indianatraveler5
Reviewed 12 June 2015

Sure, it's nothing special, particularly for the pricepoint, but it was a nice hotel. Clean room, spacious, great AC, and windows that actually open. The North Lodge buildings have a rather charming look to them too. Food is plentiful, but expensive at the Lodge cafeteria. That being said, it was rather delicious too.

The main draw here is the location. Wake up at 3 am to head out in search of the Milky Way? Put on some boots, grab your stuff and a coat, be at Mojave Point in 15 minutes. Want to go on that 9am fossil tour? Crawl out of bed, grab your backpack and an apple and be at the Bright Angel trailhead within 10 minutes tops. Exhausted after a looooong day and don't have the energy or attention span to drive through a forest of killer deer ready to destroy your car? Walk back to your room in no time.

I would definitely stay here again if I do the hotel thing, but am seriously thinking about camping next time.

The location was definitely worth the price.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room in the North Lodge
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family