Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
FamilyTravel
Clayton, North Carolina

Worth it for the location

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks agovia mobile
We stayed here two nights to be close to all the activities for our Grand Canyon visit. The room cost is for location, not the actual room. That was ok with us for a short stay. Our family of four with two teens was a bit cramped but made it work. We appreciated the shuttle around the Village, the food options nearby, and the proximity to the Rim Trail and Bright Angel Trail. The rooms are clean, but dated similar to other USNPS on-site hotels.
Date of stay: June 2024
Room Tip: Make your reservation early!
Trip type: Travelled with family
Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this review
Responded 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review and feedback for Thunderbird Lodge!

• Skyscanner.com
    AU$437
0.2 km from Thunderbird Lodge
Trailer Village RV Park
    2.4 km from Thunderbird Lodge
    double queen room with frig and gas logs fireplace
    • Vio.com
    9.3 km from Thunderbird Lodge
    Pool
    View more hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
    1,054 results
    All reviews bright angel first floor partial view grand canyon south rim el tovar arizona room canyon view room national park beds were comfortable no elevator parking space few steps parking spot coffee maker amazing location can't beat the location
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 4 June 2024

The location is on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Our room overlooked the canyon. There is no restaurant in this lodge. You will need to make reservations at El Tovar dining room or the Arizona Steakhouse that are nearby. There is also a sandwich shop with counter service nearby but no seating. Otherwise it is a shuttle bus ride to other eating venues. The rooms (1960s) were large and clean with plenty of linens and comfortable beds. There were elk just outside of our building. It is a short walk to the Bright Angel Trailhead.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
    1  Thank Papadoc529
    Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2024

We appreciate your review and feedback for Thunderbird Lodge!

Reviewed 18 May 2024 via mobile

The hotel is dated but that’s the case in most of the park lodges these days. But it’s all about the experience. The location is great tucked between the El Tovar and Bright Angel Lodge. Check in is at Bright Angel and gets very busy around three. There was only one receptionist. They were upgrading the computer system so it was a bit of a wait but I’m sure that will get resolved. We enjoyed the cocktail lounge and Arizona Steakhouse on the property.
    One very big negative is we could not get the AC to cool the room and we were there two nights. It was pretty miserable. But really what’s not to love about being in the National Park.

Room tip: Parking is a nightmare. Arrive well before the check in time and then have the bell staff deliver your luggage when your room is available.
    Trip type: Travelled with friends
    1  Thank Susan D
    Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2024

Thank you for sharing your review and feedback!

Reviewed 11 May 2024 via mobile

This is a cosy lodge at the south rim of Grand Canyon. Rooms overlook the rim and are basic in nature. You can just walk along the south rim of the canyon visiting various vantage points and is a short 50 metre walk to the El Tovar Hotel, the grand dame hotel of Grand Canyon. The bus stop is just in front of the hotel so it’s very convenient for exploring the area.

Room tip: Get a room on the second level - the view of the canyon is better.
    Trip type: Travelled with friends
    1  Thank aukahkay62
    Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2024

We appreciate your review and feedback for Thunderbird Lodge!

Reviewed 23 March 2024

This lodge was actually much better than I expected from the reviews I had read. Yes it does look like it was decorated in the 1950's but our room was clean and was ideally located in the park. If the weather had cooperated (it was foggy and then snowed) we would have had great views from our room of the canyon. The beds could have been more comfortable, but the pillows and linens were okay. The major drawback was we had NO housekeeping, something no one (even our tour company) had told us. On asking I was told it was a "Covid policy"....hello?? It is now 2024 and I am not aware of any other places not offering daily housekeeping. Being right next to the Grand Canyon is the reason this places gets 4 stars. The location can't be beat!

Date of stay: March 2024
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2024

Thank you for sharing your review and feedback!

Reviewed 4 November 2023 via mobile

I arrived at the office to check in for our two night stay at 2:45 pm. After waiting to be acknowledged by the desk clerk I told him I was there to check in. He informed me that I couldn’t check in till 3:00 pm or I would have to pay an early $20 check in fee. I told him that was unheard of and that I would wait till 3:00 pm to check in. I’m 82 years old and told him my Siatic nerve was hurting me and I sat down. At 3:00 pm he assigned me to room 16 I proceeded to find it. We drove around the area 3 times and couldn’t find it. We finally asked an employee where it was. When we found it, it was located in a court yard without easy access to park and unload our belongings. We noticed a handicapped room with parking right in front of it, so my wife went to the office to see if we could change the room. He told us no because we booked it through Expedia and he didn’t notice me limping when I was in the office. The Lodge had MANY empty rooms and it shouldn’t have been a problem switching rooms. Because of the lack of consideration by the desk clerk we won’t be staying here again, not to mention all the extra charges they will assess you for dogs, smoking, late fees and hidden fees tacked on to the price of a room. Malcom was the desk clerk when we checked in and he was not very accommodating. Lacks people skills !
    Our stay was from Nov 2 & 3rd 2023.
    I’ve had two back surgeries and now have Siatic nerve problems !

Room tip: Make sure you book a handicapped access room and parking.
    Date of stay: November 2023
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Trikerjon40
    Sam L, Sales at Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2023

We appreciate your review and feedback, your comments have been shared with our management team.