“what it says on the tin”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Bolthole
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
13carol19...
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Have stayed in better cottages”
Reviewed 4 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

The Bolthole was not the worst place we have stayed in , but not the best. We were unhappy with the standard of cleanliness of the floors and the sofa was covered in dog hairs when we got there.We actually covered it totally with our own throw so the hairs were not from our dog . If I had been staying there and didn't have a dog I'd have left . The mattresses were not good quality , you could feel the springs in them. The towels put in the main bedroom were well past their best . The kitchen was in need of a good clean , the kettle needed descaling . I wiped down the cupboard doors before we left and we had only used the kettle and the toaster !! The shower cubicle was the cleanest thing in the property.
Basically it is in a great location , has enough space for up to 4 people and if it were cleaner and had some better quality towels , beds and bedding it would be excellent.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
anniemrsn...
London, United Kingdom
“what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 25 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

Everything was 'as described' near to the beach, shops pub and chippy. Very clean and well layed out, the kithchen was very well equiped for a rental. Excellent all round.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
DianeLS
Stamford
“Well equipped bungalow in a beautiful village”
Reviewed 26 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

I booked the Bolthole as it was a birthday treat for my mother who is 82 and wanted a property with no stairs. The bungalow is delightful, well equipped and with everything you require for a stay away from home. We made use of the DVDs (there's a nice selection to choose from) and the dishwasher is a real bonus, lots of dishwasher tabs, tea bags and pint of milk- again nice not to have to worry if you arrive late and haven't been to the shops.

Winterton on sea is an absolutely wonderful village and the beach is superb - just a short walk from your door and great for everyone. The fish and chip shop fry at certain times of the day (a sign is in the window) and there is a small general store and post office - both open long hours. The Fisherman's Return was also great for food and drink and the thatched cottages opposite are beautiful!

We had a glitch when we arrived at the cottage as it wasn't as clean as I'd hoped (I think the previous occupants had a black dog due to the hairs everywhere and a young child because of sticky tomato sauce fingers on doors and plates!!) but after texting the owner she kindly organised another clean the following day. We also just wiped up where we could for the next occupiers. The owner apologised profusely and made sure all was put right, even texting after the cleaner had been - how great was that?!

I would definitely stay at Winterton again as the location is superb with so much to offer, my mother had a wonderful birthday and we really enjoyed our stay.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location of the bungalow - couldn't be better
Liked least: Could do with a thorough spring clean and better pillows
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Amy B
“Birthday Treat ”
Reviewed 5 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

I planned to take my Mum away for a relaxing break for her 60th birthday from 27th Oct to 1st Nov (Tues-Sun)
Initially, I had a concern that we wouldn't be able to book The Bolthole as I didn't want the accommodation for a whole week and it was also half term, but I needn't have worried!
After contacting the owner she was more than accommodating in letting me book mid week and also for what would be a busier week of the year for holiday makers.
Upon arriving at the The Bolthole, myself and my Mum were taken aback as to how cute this lovely little cottage was! We arrived a little earlier than expected and I contacted the owner to see if we could get it sooner. She asked us to give her half an hour which was fine by us as we got a chance to explore this lovely little village.
To say that the cottage was spotless is an understatement! There was not a mark or spot of dust or dirt anywhere! All of the linen was clean and smelt fresh and it's clearly been kept very well and looked after by other guests and the owner. The accommodation itself was perfect for the 2 of us with one double room and another with 2 singles. I feel it may be a bit small though for a family with 2 children.
In the evenings, the living room was so comfy and cozy and was the perfect place to come back and relax after busy days out and about. We didn't manage to get the heating to work in the cold evenings but the wall mounted electric heater and portable heaters where more than enough to heat the whole cottage within about 10 minutes. Please don't let this put you off though if you are planning to go in the winter months as the cottage also has a lovely wood burner in the main living room. If I had to have one little niggle it would be that the shower wasn't very powerful. However, I was so impressed with everything else, I wouldn't let this affect my rating.
The cottage itself is situated a 10 minute walk from the beach (which is stunning!) and a less than 5 minute walk from the local shop, post office, pub and chip shop.
Although there isn't much else outside of the village, other places are easily accessible with Great Yarmouth about 30 minutes away and Norwich 45 minutes away.
Myself and my mum throughly enjoyed our week away in this wonderful retreat and would definitely come back to The Bolthole again for a break.

paul b
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 14 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015

The bolt hole is a cosy cottage with enough room and comfortable double bed and 2 single beds ideal for family or freinds winterton on sea is a lovely retreat with a sandy beach and dunes plus beach cafe there is a convienice store post office pub church and fish and chip shop all within a 10 minute walk from the bolt hole winterton is an extremely quiet village with access to Norfolk's main attractions Norwich city centre with the market and nearby Norwich lanes which is worth a visit while in town parking very close to the market great Yarmouth is also worth a visit with a quarter mile of shops souvenir and places to eat there is also a very nice leather shop with various design and sizes to suit everyones taste most coats and jackets about £100 pound on a Wednesday evening there is greyhound meeting in between Yarmouth and winterton which starts at 6.30 pm until 10 pm this could be seasonal please check before you go croma is also somewhere you may like to visit a small town with parking and some shops and pier theatre although this is about an hour drive from winterton we only stayed for 4 nights and spent all of our time visiting these places I would recommend an investment in a sat nav which will take you exactly where you want to go we enjoyed our time in Norfolk and the bolt hole was a great place to stay

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quietness
Liked least: I can't think of anything
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing