“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Grafty Green B&B and Inns
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I chose the word hidden because it really is. I stayed here with my boyfriend who had a complete pa-lava trying to find it even with a sat nav. I don't advise going there in the dark! Make sure you're prepared to search!
Anyway, the place itself was very nice inside. The staff were friendly and very professional, especially the waitress in the restaurant.
As previous reviews have stated, it is a "pub" with an up market restaurant and some rooms completely separate from the building itself. It's not your usual hotel, just somewhere to stay over night.
We stayed in Moet & Chandon No.10 which is the first room on the left. I picked this as it was cheapest and I preferred it to the other rooms. I was pretty impressed by the size of it. There was plenty of room, though the bathroom wasn't huge and there is no bath. There are two dressing gowns and two Japanese style robes. There is a large TV with Sky freeview channels and a DVD player.
In our fridge/top drawer were orange juice, milk, a small selection of cereal, biscuits, fruit and 2 pastrys. This was our breakfast, which is included. I was told a full English breakfast is served in the restuarant but it would cost an extra £10 PP, so I passed. The breakfast in our room actually satisfied me enough and I wasn't too bothered about the small choice, though do be aware that for a 'proper' breakfast you have to pay extra. We were also left a small bottle of champagne & 3 chocolates.
We had dinner in the restaurant, the service was a little slow but that's my only complaint. The waitress was extremely professional and the food was lovely. On a Saturday night you can only eat off the A La Carte menu and there isn't a great deal of choice, especially if you are vegetarian. Luckily I found something on there, though I was hoping to pick from the Gastro menu which was a shame.
It was very quiet for a Saturday evening, though the restaurant was fully booked all night, we didn't see anyone walking around and didn't hear anyone at all once in our room.
Overall a pretty good stay with only a few slight problems. I would suggest ignoring the previous reviews if you stay in Room 10 as it didn't need any work doing to it at all.

Room Tip: I only saw the Moet & Chandon (No. 10) Room so can't comment on others. Though this is the c...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed in the Piper Heidsieck room, which is one of the cheaper rooms at £140 per night. It is very small, the decor was dated and shabby. Although there was a jacuzzi bath, the hot water ran out. The rooms are like port a cabins, and there was no sound proofing, which meant we could hear everything going on in the room next door. There was also no hairdryer, which I'd expect even in a basic room, although apparently you can get this from the reception, you have to walk across the car park to get to this so it's not very convenient.
The restaurant is a converted half of a pub, the food was good but the drinks over priced. The only good point about staying here was that the girls who worked in the restaurant/reception were very friendly and the service was good.
I wouldn't stay here again, and I definitely feel that the rooms are very over priced.

6 Thank Karm100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Booked a deal in groupon and thought it would be great as all others I have booked have been brilliant ... Not this one!

Rooms are port a cabins! We were in the bollinger suite and the bed was clearly broken. I would have called reception to tell them except the phone in the room didn't work. We had no toilet roll upon checking in either. The light outside did not work either.

When I told them about the bed in the morning we were told it must have been the cleaners that had taken some of the slats from the bed??!! No apology was given.

The meal we had in the restaurant could have been nice except that after being told we could choose anything from either the a la carte or gastro menu, when we ordered we were told our choices were not available. We then ordered again and were again told that what we had chosen was not available. Finally we managed to get our third choice and the food was good although not what I wanted!

Breakfast is in the room and consists of cereal or limp looking pastries and some fruit. All in all a poor place to stay and would not recommend or go back. If I had payed full price for this place I would have demanded my money back.

15 Thank Alders81
London
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed here with my Husband in the Bollinger Suite for the night and what a great time we had. Upon arrival we were greeted very warmly and were directed to our suite which was a very short walk from the pub but if you wanted to park your car outside of your room for convenience this is an option available. Were given a clear explanation of the Inn's policy's amenities available to us.
We had dinner in the restaurant the young lady who waited on us was well mannered and helpful could not have asked for anything more. We ordered from the Gastro menu and it was delicious! After dinner we had a few bottles of Bubbly in the Pub where the atmosphere was friendly - we had a great time with the locals.
The Suite was very clean we had no complaints there. The bonus is this one has a hot tub and there was ample hot water and it did not take very long to fill. The bed was very comfy.

Overall a very memorable stay we were celebrating my Birthday and I enjoyed it so much we have already booked a return stay and have already begun to recommend to friends.

2 Thank VERNsam
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We just got back from our anniversary stay at Who'd A Thought. Like one of the other reviews on here I found the website to be misleading because this really isn't a hotel, it's a bunch of chalets attached to a pub.

I would advise anyone who stays to not be enticed by the expensive items on the restaurant menu. We did eat at the restaurant which was the biggest disappointment. Our meal cost just over £100 with a bottle of wine. The bread that was brought out was shop bought, my starter was burnt underneath and our mains were £20 per head for four small bits of monkfish sat atop a huge risotto.

Restaurants that charge this much really should do better.

The service was really slow and when the music stopped, the atmosphere was invaded by the sound of the owner and his friends watching the darts just outside the entrance to the restaurant.

The pub is lovely inside, although animal prints aren't really my taste, it is a nice building. If you choose to eat there - order off the cheaper gastro menu.

The room was decent enough. Very large Jacuzzi which worked perfectly well and with more than enough hot water available. It would be great if the welcome brochure had a bit more to it - ie things to do in the local area.

The room definitely could have done with a bit of a spruce - the carpet was stained and a light didn't work. Wardrobe door nearly falling off. The space is used well and the four poster bed is very impressive.

This place could be great but unfortunately it currently is over priced and disappointing. We really did enjoy the location and the room but the restaurant was very poor. Just too expensive for what it is. The chef clearly cannot cook the expensive menu and the service and price of drinks do not help make up for that.

We did this through a coupon also and because of that, with the lunch and continental breakfast it felt that we hadn't really got a discount because of the price of the evening meal.

7 Thank Tom D
14.9 km away
Eastwell Manor
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Boughton Lees

Been to Who'd A Thought It? Share your experiences!