See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 April 2015

We only stayed there fro 1 night, hotel located less than 5 minutes walk from JR Ueno station or less than 10 minutes walk from Keisei Ueno Station. Price is cheap so great for budget traveller who don't want to share toilet in hostel. Room is reasonable spacious and clean even though it does look a bit ages. only minute walk to restaurant and shops, downstairs has 24 hours seafood restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Its location is at the center of the city. You can enjoy shopping while having some great place for food right in front of the hotel. Also, the hotel is only 10 mins away from the train station on foot. So, it is very comfortable to get on train to travel around the city and come back to the hotel when exhausted.

The facilities in hotel is well-prepared. They have everything essential for travelers to backpackers. Free wifi is available here.

Rooms are divided into 2 types; smoking room and non-smoking room. The hotel staff are helpful but they sometimes frown and look unfriendly. Nevertheless, it didn't bother me much because I spent most of the time outside the hotel and came back only when I need a bed and a bath.

If you're looking a comfortable budget hotel, Marutani is one of the best choices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank taw55
Reviewed 18 December 2014

This hotel was recommended by a friend who stayed here before. And I am glad that make the right choice to choose of this hotel as our base during our stay in Tokyo. We traveled with 2A+2C and it is quite difficult to find the hotel room can accommodate 4 persons in Tokyo. In this hotel, we got a Japanese style Tatami room for 3 adults and it is good enough to cater 4 of us.

The location is perfect as it is just few mins walk from JR, Metro, and Keisei, and it surrounded with many restaurants. The Keisei line has the direct skyline train to Narita airport which is very convenience especially we touch down at the late evening on the 1st night.
Hotel staff can speak basic English and the check in /check out was without any issue.
We requested for the additional pillow cover as there are four us and they sent it to our room within 10mins! Fast service and very responsive.
The hotel itself has the public bath separate for man and women. Hotel guest can use the facilities for free if you want to have a try. There have laundry service in the public bath area, very convenience too.

I was worried about the smoking room smell as other trip advisors mentioned in earlier review.
However, it never come to our concern when we checked into our room. Nothing special to wow about the room but basic bathroom amenities and sleepwear are provided. The room is clean, decent but small (but I think the room size is quite ok to compare the previous hotel that we stayed in Osaka). Best part is, it provide free Wifi service which is hardy get in Tokyo's hotels!

Overall, we are satisfied with this hotel and yes, we will be back!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank happy_vacation77
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked this hotel because it's near the places I want to go to; in a market where I can try local food and shop without straining my budget; and near the train stations (about 5-minute walk) One downside is that it's probably a little difficult to find (Tokyo addresses are confusing if you're a tourist I suppose). I suggest asking the friendly people at the tourist center in the Keisei station - they'll point you to the right direction. I had a bit of trouble when I was checking in because my credit card was rejected twice; I don't think that the staff and I understood each other - their manager sorted it anyway. The room is always clean, fast wifi. a bit small, but we don't really mind - we're out for most of the day. The air conditioning in the room where we stayed in though...I guess it's alright since it was still spring when we went to Tokyo, but it won't be enough in the summer months. They provide bathroom amenities and sleepwear, so you don't need to worry about that. It's clean, convenient and it suited our needs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Aida205
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is located near JR ueno, metro and keisei ueno. It was easy to get meal and shopping. But the hotel had very bad smoking room, very bad smell like you are smoking. There was smoke stained at the ceiling and wall. The hotel staffs were poor english speaker, difficult to communicate. At this time I were here, they made mistake about my booking resulting in I got double payment and they refused for that mistake and responsibility.

• Stayed: April 2014