Ryokan
USD 88
USD 79
Priceline
All reviewsthe room was nicesubwaychiyodasinkbudgetstation
Reviewed 20 May 2017

I enjoyed my stay at Chiyoda. It's a charming place, hidden away inside a small street, and was very quiet when I was there. The room was nice, and had a toilet and sink (although I'm a little mystified why someone decided to put a shelf right on top of the sink, so you can't lean over it). The showers upstairs (shared but private) were good. They also had a coin-op washer/dryer. It didn't look like there was much to eat in the area, but the subway is nearby, and it was no problem getting to other parts of the city. Anyway, I'd definitely stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2017

Third time staying at Chiyoda Inn. It has changed a bit in the layout of the floor plans and they have a few multilangual staff at different shifts. My stay was pleasant and my room was made every day even it was New Year.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2016

We stayed in a two person japanese style room, with enough room for two futons, our bags, and nothing else. That's all we need, but it might be cramped for some. The room and communal bathrooms were clean, and the coin laundry was a big help. The futons were comfortable enough, and we weren't bothered by any train noise, but we were also exhausted at the end of every day. The location is very convenient to three separate train lines, but because it's right on the edge of the city, by the suburbs, taking the train into town anytime near rush hour was more difficult than it might have been elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marina P
Reviewed 28 June 2016

The Chiyoda Inn was a nice combination of Japanese aesthetic and modern facilities. It's very close to a train station, although a little tricky to find because it's tucked away in a little side street. The front desk was clearly very used to dealing with foreign tourists, almost to the point that it felt a little hostel-like. (I think what I mean is that there were lots of signs that felt a little "well, duh" to me, in the way that often happens when you get a lot of short-term travelers.) The room was nice, very simply furnished with traditional, Japanese style beds (read: mats). The room comes with a little tea pot and green tea, and besides the bed there was a small desk and some lovely robes to borrow. The bathrooms and showers are shared for the floor, but seemed very clean. I liked it, but would almost prefer to go all-in Japanese style or not even bother and just do a normal hotel. Still, on the whole, it was a nice place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank BrooklynGretel
Reviewed 7 January 2016

We stayed at Chiyoda Inn one week from Dec. 21st to Dec. 28th 2015, before continuing our trip towards Kyoto and Hiroshima.
It's a lovely guest-house with all the comforts you need. We liked it so much that we decided to book for our last two nights in Tokyo as well. The staff is very helpful and can speak English quite well (except for one girl that was covering some shifts, she seemed to only speak Japanese, but we still managed to understand each other pretty well). Everything is tidy and clean as expected. The whole atmosphere is quite relaxing and peaceful, we especially appreciated the cleanness in the bathrooms and shower rooms.
There is a small kitchenette at the ground floor where you can help yourself with coffee or tea. There is also a small bath area, which can be used upon reservation at a fee of 300 yen (if I remember correctly); we wanted to try it but eventually had not time to do so

We stayed in a Japanese-style standard double room, which comprises two futon beds (I would say the size is a super-single, at least I found it comfortable enough), clean robe ("yukata"), towels, a small basin and a little table. A small hair dryer and an electric kettle are available. Mind you, the rooms are tiny, especially compared to Western standards, but we came fully prepared and were not disappointed about that. There is barely room for two medium-sized luggages and no wardrobe, so my recommendation is to travel light (this goes for basically anywhere in Japan!). On the second leg of our stay we were on the opposite side of the corridor, the room was the same type as the one described, maybe slightly bigger, but you could hear the noise of train passing-by often (honestly, we weren't bothered at all by it). I guess it depends on your sensitivity and level of tiredness at night!
Position: Excellent. Chiyoda is just a couple of minutes walk away from Minami Senju station, which serves both JR and subway lines. The fact that the area is not typically tourist-y and central was a plus for us, we loved to come back to a quite, more intimate Tokyo. Plus, you are still pretty close to central areas (10/15 minutes of train away from Ueno).

To sum up, I defintely recommend staying at Chiyoda Inn. If we ever go back to Tokyo (which we intend to do), we'll definitely stop by again.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple