Lowest prices for your stay
AU$141
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
Skyscanner.com
AU$109
Helen K
Andover, United Kingdom
Worst night sleep possible!
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Jan 2015via mobile
My boyfriend and I wanted to experience a night in a capsule hotel so we booked this hotel.
Understandably, we were on separate floors as this is Japanese culture and were were fine with that.
You cannot check in until 4pm and it is quite difficult to find.
On arrival, we were given our keys and assigned a capsule. We were given pyjamas wear but they are clearly not designed for western women who are taller and have boobs! I opted not to wear mine.
My boyfriend and I went to our allocated floors and found our capsule which was small but clean.
The powder room is lovely with showers and many toilets.
There is a mixed floor which has a tv and seating etc.

Despite all of the above, I have rated this hotel poor because there is no door to your capsule which means you hear EVERYTHING and the main light is always on so you can't sleep!
There are signs that tell people to be quiet but people don't adhere to them. At one point, some ladies decided to use the hair dryer in the bathroom for about 2 hours AND AT 2AM!!!!
The number of times I told people to be quiet was ridiculous!
Needless to say, awful night sleep.

The next morning, my boyfriend told me he had also slept badly due to noise and also the capsule was not big enough as he is 6'2 and his feet were hanging out! His lack of sleep was however made up by the men having access to a sauna/big hot bath etc!!!!!

Whilst I understand that capsule hotels were designed to accommodate the Japanese businessmen who work late and are a bolthole to sleep, I didn't enjoy my stay and would never stay again.
AU$219
  • japanican.com
    AU$206
0.6 km from Shinjuku Kuyakushomae Capsule Hotel
View more hotels in Kabukicho
All reviews the women's floor travelling light train station sauna lockers pod shower luggage japan toiletries shinjuku bunk sinks soap pjs
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 January 2015

This place was everything I had expected it to be. Just off of Yasukuni Dori, which I guess is in the red light district, but close enough to the main street where people don't harass you. It is also close to Shinjuku station. Staff was fine. Lockers and bath area were all clean. There was a mix of foreigners and Japanese people. The capsule itself was a good size.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it does get noisy, especially in the morning when alarms are going off. Fortunately I went prepared and brought earplugs. The only negatives I have about the capsule itself is that the pillow was small and uncomfortable, and it does get a little warm and stuffy inside.

Wifi didn't work so well inside the capsule, but worked in the common area. Also, I wish the smoking room was better ventilated, as it was inside the common area. Check-out time is 10am, which might a little early for some.

I would stay here again if I was traveling to Tokyo by myself and looking for a nice cheap place to stay, but I'd probably ask for an extra pillow.

Reviewed 4 January 2015

Decided to try the capsule hotel on our last night in Tokyo out of curiosity. Very close to Shinjuku station (5-10 minutes walk) near the lively district of Kabukicho. Reception is on the 4th floor where you are required to take off your shoes and put it into a shoe locker with a key. Hand the key to the reception and you will receive another key to your personal locker with towels and yukata provided. There are racks provided for big suitcases just by the lockers or like me, you can just put your luggage on top of the lockers. I also noticed people bringing their suitcases up to the capsules and put them in front of the entrance to the capsule (only can do it if you are allocated a floor level capsule). The capsule itself is quite ok for me (I am fairly small built). Not as comfortable as a proper bed (obviously!) but sufficient for a decent sleep. It is a bit of a hit and miss with the capsules as it depends which neighbours you have around you. If you are unlucky enough to get noisy/snoring neighbours then you will have an un-restful night. There is no door to shut the capsule, just a pull-down curtain/blind. There is a small overhead TV inside the capsule, reading light and a socket plug. I also found it a bit difficult to get a good sleep as it was not dark enough inside the capsules with lights from outside filtering through - probably require an eye mask. Free Wi-Fi is provided. There is a lounge area with an onsite cafe serving cocktails and food. There are also washing machines and dryers provided if washing is required. The capsule floors are separated by males and females on different floors. The shared bathing area has a sauna and jacuzzi pools. Overall very cheap option to stay if budget is tight.

Room tip: Depends on luck if you get noisy neighbours in the capsules
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kent O
Reviewed 26 December 2014

Clean capsule hotel with public bathing facilities. This is a busy place but there always appeared to be sufficient space when I needed a shower.

Whilst not spacious, the capsules were adequate for me even though I am 185cm tall.

Depending on who is in the capsules nearby, it can be a bit noisy. Not normally from loud conversations or music etc, but by other guests loud snoring! If you are a light sleeper, it may be worth bringing some ear plugs.

This is a good experience if you are visiting Tokyo or just want a cheap place to stay for a night.

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank GME-SE10
Reviewed 24 December 2014

I mainly wanted to stay in a capsule hotel just to say that I had done it, and I'm really glad I only stayed here one night. I walked around the block about 5 times before I found it - there is no external signage, I just caught an elevator up to see if it was there.
The staff were very gruff and kind of barked orders at me, not friendly at all. The system of keys and checking in is very inconvenient and annoying - you have to put your shoes in a locker, get the key, exchange the key for another locker key, then lug your luggage to another floor. Slippers, pajamas and basic toiletries are provided.
The capsule itself was clean and fine, although the mattress was super super thin. The capsules themselves don't seem to have any air conditioning or proper ventilation, so it got very stuffy in there overnight. There is no door separating your capsule, only a curtain, so it was quite noisy when everybody else was in their capsules, watching tv, coughing, talking on their phones, etc.
However, it was an experience. Now I can say I've braved a capsule hotel!

Date of stay: December 2014
2  Thank Johanna S
Reviewed 22 December 2014

For everyone who visits Tokyo for the first time, this is high recommended place which will contribute your complete experience in Japan.
Cleanliness, facilities, comfort is at excellent level, and location is very suitable for first visit, especially because of Shinjiku train station nearby.

Date of stay: January 2014