“Good food, service is poor.”
Review of Fujiya 1935

Fujiya 1935
Ranked #4 of 2,538 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Dined in this restaurant for set menu recently on my trip to Osaka. Food is good, it is more with local and seasonal ingredients. Service needs big improvement if it wants to live up to the expectation of 3 Michelin stars. one of the courses server failed to know what is the matching utensils and did not provide anything, when I asked how do I supposed to eat the pasta dish, she said just use your fingers. even though the manager bowed 90 degree later to apologize for the mistake, this should not happen in a regular non-Michelin star restaurant, did Fujiya hire some cheap labor apprentice to save the cost? totally unacceptable. very inexperienced waitress and don't know what she is doing at all.

1  Thank TorontoTraveller188

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

To say I was blown away by this restaurant would be an understatement, quite honestly this was one of the top meals I have had in my life. I’m not sure where to start....

We received and extremely a warm and friendly greeting in a minimalist waiting room with one of the coolest water features you’ll ever see. Walking passed the kitchen (all open so you can see what’s going on and greet the guys working there) we were shown to our table in a very unfussy yet comfortable restaurant.

We were already very content and then the food started to arrive (we went with the pairing wines which were delicious and varied and about a 1/3 of the price you would pay in London).

I won’t spoil all the courses but will name
My favourites. The raw slices of red snapper with a delightful salad and a sauce which I can’t even describe, yet they complimented each other perfectly. Then came the true eye opener of the “starter” dishes namely the sea urchin, I hadn’t tasted it before and now I have I think I only ever want it prepared this way, lightly crumbed then rolled in deep fried seaweed and served with Japanese mustard. This my friends was a revelation! The firefly squid with linguine was melt in your mouth perfection. The sea bass with a carrot sauce (this description does it a disservice) was divine as was the lamb with mishimaudo. The show stopper amongst the desserts has to be the kumquat course, pastry topped with kumquat cream, topped with fresh kumquats topped with candied fruits to bite through the bitterness. If I had to eat only one desser for the rest of my life this would be it!!

The staff were all so helpful and friendly I couldn’t fault them in any way.

If you love food, do yourself a favour; eat cheaply and well for most of your holiday then savour the true skill and attention to detail that is your dining experience here.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Fujiya1935 runs by 4th generation owner/chef Tetsuya Fujiwara took me through one of the most enjoyable food journey I have ever had. From the appetizers to the end of the desserts; every dish served to me is of high food quality, stable and the presentation delightful. I especially like the soft, fluffy, cake like sponge bread with truffle cream. It is so delicious!!! The main course of venison is cooked to perfection; very tender and juicy. So yummy! Nothing is spared on the ingredients, and the flavors are brought up skillfully highlighted. It was a stunning dinner, and I had a great time. Chef Fujiwara is indeed talented both in the kitchen and out. Very well managed restaurant. Met Chef Fujiwara at the end of the meal, and he is so friendly that I am surely looking forward to my next visit. Dinner course ¥15,000

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This was our 4th visit in 5 years (last year we missed out sadly) and it's as good as ever. Very different seasonal menu to the last (winter) one but perfectly balanced and genuinely beautiful as always. Went with the wine pairing which was perfectly matched to the lighter more nuanced summer fare. Impeccable food, Great wine and immaculate service. If you haven't been here yet you're missing out. We'll be back !!!

1  Thank SaigonStevo
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Impeccable food, drink and service. Location is a bit out of the way but definitely worth the effort. As it is a Michelin star restaurant, so early planning is required so be sure to book in advance. The menu / ingredient changes with the season. During our visit, I had the opportunity to try the sea urchin for the first time and it was delicious. Would definitely go again the next time I'm in town.