2,189 results
All reviewssubway stationnishiki marketwalking distancekarasuma oiketop floorminute walkjapanese standardsstayed here for nightssmall roomcentral locationhotel lobbymanga museumlocation is greatgreen teabuffet breakfastaround the cornerbus stop
Reviewed 26 July 2018

The hotel is a couple of blocks away from the subway station and also a few blocks away from a bus stop. We took buses to most places in Kyoto so this was good. We could also walk to a few good restaurants. It was pleasant as we were there in March when the weather was still cool.

The rooms are small as expected and a little jaded. But we had everything we needed. Breakfast was ok, in a big dining room. There is also a working chapel in the hotel so I suppose they must hold weddings sometimes although I didn't see any.

We didn't experience the bad service that others spoke about here so I have no complains about their service.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lfeyal
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Location is great - close to shops and subway and plenty of restaurant options within walking distance. Concierge extremely helpful especially in assisting with restaurant recommendations. Our stay was in a twin room overlooking the street which was surprisingly quiet even with the Gion festivities. Room was the smallest of our stay in Japan although we knew that and was a bit tired and in need of a refurb, particularly the carpet. Pyjamas provided were so nice had to buy some. Breakfast is good although no egg station or gluten free bread.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Our family of six well traveled adults stayed here in 3 rooms. I agree with previous comments that the reception staff and concierge were terribly unfriendly and unhelpful. The evening reception staff was so frustrated at my English and lack of Japanese communication and showed open hostility and overt irritation!
The rooms were very small but clean
Location is great
Library (bar) is cozy but not very good service either (crying baby in bar one night!!...not their fault but weird)
Good breakfast buffet included with our room

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank markwO9529RQ
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel and the location is basically the only reason I am giving it a 2/5. It’s a couple of blocks away from the subway station, which you can take to the main Kyoto station. It’s also a couple of blocks away from the Nishiki market. Great food and traditional shopping.

As for the hotel itself, we’ve had a number of issues:

1) Checkin. The lady at the counter wasn’t friendly at all and insisted I fill every single detail in the check in form. I travel extensively and I never had to to fill that form the way I did in this hotel. Check out was also a drag: they charged us 1000 yens for leaving the key card behind in one of the rooms.

2) TV service was horrible. Nothing to watch if you don’t speak Japanese. Even the news channel CNN was dubbed in Japanese. It doesn’t take much to add a few English speaking channels for the hotels international customers. Especially in Kyoto where everything closes rather early. Also, they had a flyer with explicit adult content that was placed in the TV. I was traveling with a 9 and 11 yo children.

3) ACs were tricky to operate. All instructions were in Japanese and we had to do some deciphering. Turns out there was instructions in English in the room, but check in never said anything about it.

4) While the bathrooms were thoroughly cleaned, the actual room wasn’t. When we first walked into the rooms, the carpet was very dirty (Not vacuumed) and smelled very stuffy and moldy.

5) After we checked out and left Kyoto back to Tokyo, I accidentally left a small pouch that had a Bose Noise cancelling earphones, and a brand new Apple AirPods. I called on the same evening to enquirer about it and the hotel said they didn’t find anything, though I specifically instructed them were i left the pouch behind.

That last experience was very disappointing and of the 3 hotels we stayed at in Japan, this is the only one we would be hesitant to come back to.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank SamDubster
Reviewed 5 May 2018

Stayed at this hotel for two nghts post-cruise. Very clean and good location. Across the street to Yamashita Park, very nice to walk the park in the morning. Close to Chinatown, lots of earing places aroind. Very helpful and friendly fromt desk staff. Highly recommended. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple