“Lively English Village Pub”
Review of The Old Volunteer

The Old Volunteer
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Caythorpe
Price range: USD 13 - USD 32
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Volunteer is ran by Joanne, who has re-vamped The Old Volunteer to the Stylish but comfortable pub/restaurant it is today. Stephen Taylor, who runs the kitchen is an experienced and talented chef who has many years in the industry. We have a wide variety of Food on Offer to suit all tastes, with daily specials. We also offer a selection of Ales, Lagers, Spirits and Wines to suit all.
Reviewed 1 August 2017

We visited with friends and were delighted with our food, the service and the lively atmosphere.
3 of us went for the pork belly which was divine being not only very tasty but it also melted in your mouth. The chef here knows what he is doing. Clean plates from all. Whilst we are of an elderly generation and ate in the restaurant area the bar was lively and full of, shall we say, the future generation. Great to see. A must visit if you are in the area.

1  Thank 280mell

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I haven't been here for many years and Boy has it changed.

It is a well laid out modern restaurant/bar.

The service was excellent.

We all went for the Sunday lunch option and it was extremely good and well priced.

Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I had the same call from the proprietor for my online booking that coincided with the 21st B'day party which she handled very well with an apology and genuine interest in our re-booking. Neither my wife and I or our friends would have wanted to be surrounded by a pub of full of noisy, excited youngsters as occurred when our children reached that landmark age.
We rearranged and had an excellent evening with great service and lovely atmosphere.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank kizopage
Reviewed 5 July 2017

Though not a vegan restaurant, the chefs at The Old Volunteer are most definitely the most talented and obliging that we have ever encountered.

Having phoned ahead with our requirements, we were greeted by a chef and were asked if we had any specific likes or should we, leave it to him to come up with something? - we left it to him to produce us a 3-course meal.

To say the meal was stunning would be an understatement.
The starter; was simple enough, a tomato and red onion salad with a black olive tapenade dressing, simple, but delicious.

The main; Biryani fritters, with sweet potato chips, seared asparagus and a selection of other vegetables, beautifully presented and again delicious.

Desert; a strawberry 'soup' with mint

We travel extensively throughout Europe, the only other place that comes anywhere near close is a small but ridiculously expensive restaurant in Sees, France, again, a talented chef prepared to think out the box.

We cannot recommend The Old Volunteer highly enough, we visit twice a week, the staff, food, and ambiance are superb.

1  Thank Graham G
Reviewed 28 June 2017

My meal was excellent and on the strength of this I reserved a table in four weeks for seven people for a very special occasion. I arranged for a couple of bottles of Prosecco to be available in the bar for my guests whilst they ordered their meals. I sent out invitations and some taxis were arranged. Ten days prior to our booking I was telephoned to say that as an existing customer had increased his booking they were cancelling mine and, I understand, some others. Placing a reservation with this restaurant means it is OK until something better turns up and they are likely tolet you down.

Date of visit: June 2017
6  Thank Roy B
TheOldVol, Owner at The Old Volunteer, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Hi Roy,

Thank-you for taking your time to review The Old vol and we're pleased that you enjoyed the food on your first visit, that in turn triggered you to book a second time. I do, however, find the remainder of your comments very unjust and unfair.

For the evening that you chose to book there was a 21st Birthday Party that had booked the whole venue, this was confirmed over 12 months ago. Unfortunately, our automated booking system allowed some online bookings to be processed for this same evening. I did give you, and the other bookings that had slipped through the net, a call to explain the situation. I didn't believe that a 21st Birthday Party with a DJ would have been the experience of The Old Vol that you wanted to experience so I was honest with you as to not disappoint your expectations for the evening as I would not have wanted to be in that situation.

We're sorry that you feel disappointed in this instance.