“Don't go on your first impressions!”

Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abbeyleix
Reviewed 3 April 2011

When we arrived, I thought the hotel looked old fashioned and a bit grim. Our room was fine; comfortable beds and everything we needed was provided. We had booked a weekend special which included dinner, but this seemed to only include the main course. Although, to be fair, the main course was huge and I doubt if we could have squeezed in a dessert. On our second night, we only had starters; these were larger than some main courses in other hotels.
The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, apart from one of the receptionists who gave off about 'our' son running around; it wasn't our son at all, but she declined to apologise. This did leave us with a rather bad feeling on check out.
On the downside, there's not much to do in Abbeyleix.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LimList

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Our room was nice and clean, and check in was easy. Our dinner, however, was pretty terrible, as was the bar service. They didn't have any cider (Strongbow, Bulmer's) available, nor did they know how to make a martini! Very strange for a bar. We stuck to the continental breakfast the next day.

Lesson learned- If a restaurant claims to be "the best in the Midlands", don't believe them!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Got married in the manor sept 2008,120 guests with about half of them staying in hotel down from donegal ,great venue,good rates for bedrooms,staff very friendly,alot of the wedding guests stayed on for a 2nd and 3rd night....that was my second stay, and will be back very soon.....

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul72_78
Reviewed 23 January 2010

First, I want to be honest, I am actually from Abbeyleix but left there 30 yrs ago so this review is written from an impartial standpoint and no favors asked, none given. I stayed here last October and when I went to check in yesterday the cheerful girl on reception had all my details from my last stay and welcomed me by my first name. My first target was dinner and what better than traditional bacon and cabbage except that it came with a decent serving of cauliflower and generous amount of everything, none more so than the delicious bacon. One of the things I noticed here was a lady with a carry-cot and baby who got up to leave after her dinner and before she had reached her first obstruction of tables a barman came out and took over proceedings accompanying her all the way out to her car.

My room, bath and shower are spotless and there is a computer desk and free broadband which is a must for me but more often than not you have to go through several loops in other hotels obtaining cards and such, here it is completely free, you sit at your desk, turn on your computer and do your business, as you can do in reception or any part of the hotel if you are a guest. Ok, so the bath curtain is not gold plated but I am in Abbeyleix, not Dubai and my room cost €60 and not two or three hundred euro and since this hotel has undergone complete renovation it does not compare with earlier reviews of complaint about cleanliness, I have found everywhere to be spotless and first class. The only complaint I would have is the smoking area but perhaps there is an alternative one to the one I used as I was too tired to walk around!

As one who uses hotels about once every two weeks I have found that, because we are not just in a recession, but at the height of one, that some hotels are under such pressure there is an air of defeat to be found in some, with justification because staff, rates and overheads have still to be paid. The Abbeyleix Manor is different in that every one of the staff are in a great mood and this rubs off on other staff and customers alike. Inside the door there is a life size cardboard cut out of one of Irelands best entertainers, Brendan Grace and while most pubs and hotels are cutting back the Manor seems to be pushing the boat out that little bit further to add even more fun to the place.

I did not have breakfast because of breakfast appointment in nearby Durrow but when I sat down for a cup of coffee a lady arrived with a choice of papers to have a read before I left. There are a lot of other little personal touches as well and it is nice to see the actual owners mingling with the guests and having a chat. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Fennetec
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We went to a wedding here recently and overall I was pleased with our stay.
Staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and ok size for a 3 star. I asked for extra towels and a nice lady was up with LOADS! within minutes. Some nice touches – free wireless internet access in the rooms, proper iron and ironing board in the room. One thing to watch is the dormer style windows, find for short little me, but gave my 6’ 3” husband a nasty bang on the head.
Breakfast was fine the first day, we were early and got it served hot from the kitchen, second morning was usual buffet – not great. Wedding food was dreadful, bad quality, cold and overcooked - lots of full plates going back to the kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 29sunflowers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeyleix
12.5 km away
27.8 km away
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Abbeyleix Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!