All reviews pasta other guests farm stay truffle hunting the bus cheese making cooking class fruit trees meal times stayed longer year old son amalfi coast family style fresh produce feel welcome abruzzi national park italian countryside
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I had such a great time at Sora Farmstay! I met some great people here who were volunteering and also just staying as guests. It's such a friendly, comfertable environment with a lot of activities to do but also a great area to relax. Antonello is hilarious! There are a lot of group activities and as a solo traveller it was so nice to have a homecooked meal and sit down with everyone for dinner. I would definitely reccomend staying here and would stay again myself.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
italyfarmstay, Owner at Italy Farm Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Ciao Smaiorino,
thank you very much for coming to stay with us. It was our pleasure hosting you.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed our farmstay and meeting all the people that were here at the time. I agree we host really nice people. I feel very lucky that I can get to meet so many special people from all over the world. It is such a gift. For some reason the guests that pick our farmstay are very unique and have a similar mind set. As a result the energy that is created is just beautiful.
We are looking forward to meeting you again.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

Our choice to go to the farm stay was really quite last minute, so my friend and I headed, by bus, with little expectation, but alot of hope, for a bit of a relax after a few months of backpacking in hostels. We arrived at the station where we were warmly greeted by Maria and another one of the guests.
We arrived at the farm and it had a great vibe. Guests were playing fussball out on the verandah, the volunteers were sitting around having a great time preparing dinner and that's when we met Farmer Antonello! He is so friendly and welcoming, we had felt a little like outsiders walking into a family farm, but we were soon part of the family of guests, volunteers and farmers.
We were only at the farm for three nights, but the nights were certainly the highlight. Dinner time would come around and, like the family that we came to be, we sat around for hours, eating and talking and drinking. One by one, we would peel off to bed and wake in the morning to come back together for some of the activities on offer.
Horse riding was a laugh for all of us. I got to ride an old, tired, very friendly horse through lakes with a castle upon a hill as the beautiful backdrop.
After the morning of riding, Antonello dropped the guests in the town to go to a market, and we stuck together and had a picnic lunch in the warm afternoon sun.
We opted to walk back to the farm, and as a group of four young girls, we obviously got lost. The greatest part about the friendly small town was that EVERYONE knew Antonello, so we found ourselves in a sportscar, roof down, with a man who spoke no English, but knew exactly what we needed when we dropped Antonello's name. We were soon back on the farm for another amazing dinner.
I wish we could have stayed longer to visit the shephard, and learn to make pasta, and to just get to know everyone better, and to get to know the land better as well.
I travelled around Europe for four months, and made no friends like the ones I made on the farm.
The farm is by no means luxurious, but it is down to earth, and an amazing experience.
I would love to go back, and I really hope that I can some time soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank steph255100
Reviewed 12 January 2011

After traveling through Italy over the last year and living and working in Rome, I knew I needed a holiday weekend that was relaxing. Interested in the slow food movement and wanting a more "family-style" weekend, I contacted Antonello about staying on the farm. What I discovered was one of my favorite places in Italy. The weekend was amazing. Despite continued rain, we took a long hike to see an old fashioned oil press and to attend a Truffle festival in a neighboring town. Tired after the hike, the other guests and I relaxed by the fire in the kitchen and drank homemade wine as Maria (Antonello's mom) cooked a delicious dinner (one of the best I've had). I recommend that any one who wants to get off the beaten path (note: this is not a 5-star hotel and doesn't claim to be) to relax for a bit to take some time to visit Antonello and his family and design your own vacation at the farm with the many activities that are available.

1  Thank johnsobd
Reviewed 24 December 2010

An amazing place, with superb hospitality offered by Antonello, the host, Linda, Maria and Guiseppe. A lovely warm welcome, with lots of information offered as to all the activities available, along with tasty bruschetta on toasted bread served with their homemade wine, which was delicious, and very welcome after the 2hr journey there.
Maps and suggestions were given out on arrival, what to do first, being the most difficult choice..the weather was gorgeous, so the horse riding beckoned..
In a gorgeous valley nearby, which Antonello drove us to, we rode through woodland, quiet lanes and best of all, the river Liri, a beautiful ride, led by the owner/cowboy (friendly italian) to a 1000 year old church and onto the nearby castle and very old village..beautiful...I could've ridden all day. (Full day and overnight rides are going to be available I have since learned)
The waterfall hike, a must-do, was another beautiful day out, the autumnal colours were beautiful and I had it all to myself, except for the odd bell-ringing cow..(you have to see and hear them!) eventually led me to the waterfall in a mountain gorge, beautiful but very cold water..I warn you. Fantastic views all round, well worth the hike, and roasted chestnuts on the fire when I returned, lovely.
Market day in the lively town of Sora next. and chance to try all the local cheeses and hams available, they want you to try it all! Great choice of produce, as well as clothes, shoes and anything else you might need, and only 40 minutes down the trail into the town, after that a nice meal in one of the local restaurants (la Ciociara, recommended by Antonello) and a walk up to the castle finished off my day..amazing views 360' round the valleys, and a chance to explore the old ruins, tunnels and rooms...slowly after my late lunch!
Another day I was lucky enough to explore the Lake Barrea and surrounding villages in a hire car, beautiful scenery, wild horses and deer, and lovely mountain villages (medieval complete with castles) finished off with hot chocolate (like you'd never imagine) in the local cafes there.
Trekking up into the mountains on the overnight hike, through ancient beech forests, along mountain gorges...yet more beautiful scenery, above cloud level ( the views there unbelievable) most of the mountaintops of the Arbruzzi National Park visible, snow-capped too, was one of those unforgettable experiences I was so lucky to do, a truly magical time for me..
Meals at the farm, a great shared experience with other guests, the hosts and volunteers, made for lively conversations and lots of laughter, especially with stories from Antonello to entertain us...delicious food, all freshly prepared and home grown, washed down with home made wine..made it difficult to want to eat anywhere else, though Antonello did offer recommendations to other good restaurants in the vicinity, if anyone wanted to eat out.
Guiseppe was good fun, showing his farm and animals to me, explaining the wine making process, and olive picking/pressing which also is carried out there (delicious too) and teaching me a few Italian words also.. a lovely friendly guy.
Maria, was great to cook with, showing how to make home made pasta and sauce, which we ate for dinner that night..yummy and sharing home made Limoncella with us as we finished..
All this and the best nights sleep in a comfy bed, warm and toasty with blankets and duvet, and ensuite bathroom. Lots of room to chill out on the porch in the hammock with a book enjoying the sunshine and chatting with the other guests and volunteers, or by the fire later in the day, comparing where and what we'd done that day or planned to do the next..
This is one of those places I will definitely return to and will recommend to everyone I know....chance to see rural Italy at its' best, staying with a family who love to share it with you.. What more could one ask for???

Reviewed 9 December 2010

Our family of five, three children (7, 9 and 11) and two adults, spent a fantastic 5 days at Italy Farm Stay. Stream, fields, fruit trees, animals, nearby castle and waterfall were just what we all needed. After staying in Italian cities this was the perfect stopping point to let the kids run, relax and spend some time with nature. Antonello, Maria and Gessepi made our stay here a highlight of our six week trip. Our room with attached bathroom was clean and comfortable. The waterfall hike was beautiful (we did arrange through Antonello for a ride to the trailhead). The horseback riding was also great - lovely horses. We recommend this to all, particularly to families and anyone who enjoys getting to know friendly, authentic people.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family