All reviewspastaother guestshorseback ridingfarm staytruffle huntingthe buscheese makingcooking classthree nightsfruit treesmeal timesstayed longeryear old sonamalfi coastfamily stylefresh producefeel welcome
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at Italy Farm Stay for a week and loved every minute. As a solo traveller, it was fantastic - I met loads of great people from all over the world here. Eating dinner together outdoors every night was a highlight. The food is delicious and plentiful - very good value, whether you choose the vegetarian or the meat option.
I stayed in the dorm room, which was basic but comfortable - and as I was outside all day I didn't need much.
Antonello and his family are incredibly warm and hospitable, offering free transfers to and from the bus stop in Sora, free bruschetta and homemade wine on arrival, impromptu guided tours of the farm (thanks, Guiseppe!) and a friendly atmosphere.
I highly recommend the visit to the local cheese shepherd and the truffle hunting. If you're interested in experiencing genuine, organic farm life that's off the beaten track, you'll love it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have an organic olive grove and was attracted to this glowing website. It was admittedly cheap, but the food was terrible and the family only wanted to take extra money where ever they could. The place was dirty and untidy. The animals were kept in filthy conditions, and the woofers drifted in and out, moving chairs and serving stale bread. There was noise at night outside the room, and the rusty, rubbish filled garden was a disgrace. Nothing like the website which took over promise to new lows. Stay away.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cadilllac
italyfarmstay, Owner at Italy Farm Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We rely heavily on reviews to make improvements at our farmstay in order for it to become the success it has over the years; we will continue to do so.

I am a bit sad to read an untrue statement such as, “the rusty, rubbish filled garden”. This does not reflect reality at all, and things like this can be easily checked by looking at pictures of our garden submitted by past guests here on tripadvisor.

I am also a bit surprised to read that this guest found the website inaccurate. Over the years, it has proved to be one of our strongest points, and guests always express an appreciation for our website. They say that they can easily find useful and very accurate information. We try to present ourselves for what we are: a working farm. There is not one single picture on our website that has been embellished using photoshop. In fact, most of the pictures are actually given to us from past guests. All the prices are updated on the website, and any inaccuracies pointed out to us by guests would be quickly remedied. I am not exactly sure to which inaccuracies Cadillac is referring, and wish he would better explain in what ways the website is lacking.

Our animals are kept outside and have three hectares of land to roam upon. There are both forests and meadows in which they graze, and the animals are happy and healthy in these surroundings. Again, if you check the pictures of other guests on tripadvisor, you will see this is the case.

“The family only wanted to take extra money where ever they could.” I wish Cadillac would explain this statement better as well. There are no hidden cost and all prices are listed on our website for the food and activities we offer. I am confused by his dissatisfaction with the cost, as it seems to contradict his other statement of, “it was admittedly cheap.” Luckily, at our farm we are able to offer many free services: wi-fi, pickup on day of arrival and departure, and seasonal fruit from the farm, to name a few. Such things would normally have a fee attached, but at our place are completely free of charge.

As to the food, we are aware that it is simply impossible to please everybody. Fortunately, 98% of our guests are highly enthusiastic about the meals we serve and eat with us every night, even though there are alternative eateries within walking distance that we also recommend.

I would like to point out as it is very clear in our website that we host our guests on a working farm. This place does not have the look of a resort, an aesthetic we chose intentionally. Our guests should come expecting that. If a guest comes here expecting a resort-like guesthouse, they will be greatly disappointed. We are glad that the principles of our farmstay clearly emerge from the reviews of past guests.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

My 18 year-old daughter and I stayed at Italy Farm Stay for one week following an intense 12-day tour of France & Italy. It was just what we needed after being on the go for those 12 days! The farm is very restful and peaceful - my daugher slept for the entire first day we were there! The house is very comfortable and, of course, clean. Although we did not have air-conditioning, the house was never warm, even though it reached 37 degrees celsius (about 98 degrees F?) every afternoon.

The food was one of my favorite parts. Breakfast was fairly spartan - just fresh bread, jams and the ubiquitous Nutella. I wish there had been some cheese. But you could get an egg for an extra euro if you asked for it. The lunches were fabulous - Maria's fritatas were wonderful! We choose the vegetarian meal every night and we were never hungry - just waive after waive of wonderful vegetable dishes along with pasta, rice or lentils. Guissepe's homemade wine was excellent. The best part of the dinners was sitting at a long table al fresco with all of the other guests, making new friends and learning about other cultures.

We only participated in a few activites, including truffle-hunting, a visit to the goatherd/cheesemaker, and horseback riding. There were a few walking tours that you could do on your own that we chose not to do simply because we were so exhausted from our travels. When we weren't on a tour, we spent a lot of time reading and napping. If you do not want to do a lot of walking, make sure you bring plenty of books to read, although they do have a modest library you can use. Of the activities, the highlight was seeing the goatherd make cheese with his wife and then being able to buy some of his cheese.

I would definately recommend Italy Farm Stay if you want to take a break from the frantic pace of sightseeing, you enjoy hiking, or you just want a peaceful place to read and get away from modern-day life and focus on relationships with other people.

Room Tip: We had a room with a shared bath. It was very basic, but met our needs. The bathroom was very clean.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I can strongly recommend this place for both families, couples and single travellers, who want to experience the Italian countryside in a genuine and warm atmosphere. The family who runs the farm were very friendly and so were the rest of the staff. The lovely, long dinners in the evening together with the other guests and sometimes also the family members, were for us best part in our stay at the farm. The food was very good and very healthy, just what we wanted. The family room we got was big and tidy. I had the best ricotta ever at the shepherds farm, which was so fresh that it was still warm. Watching the shepherd and his wife make the cheese was a unique experience and horse riding at a farm close by, was also very nice, especially for our five year old son.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed at Italy Farm Stay for a week in May. I have to say that we had a lot of fun while there and we were lucky to have meshed with all the other guests which made for a great time. We did most of the activities: horseback riding, visiting the shepherd who makes the cheese, the truffle hunting... but my favorites were the favabean festival in Pescosolido, (a night of dancing with the locals, drinking grappa etc.) and the hike to the waterfall. The farm is more beautiful in person. Guissepe, the father, is a very warm and generous man who made our stay memorable. Maria, the mother was very hospitable and friendly. She went out of our way to serve us gluten-free pasta for us which was very nice. And Antonello is a real character, fun, quirky with a funny sense of humor. There is lots to do in the area and we were never bored. I would love to return if I get the chance. Learning some Italian before would be helpful to get more out of it but hand gestures and a smile go a long way! Thanks Antonello!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple