“Gorgeous house”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Cottage

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous house”
Reviewed 15 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018
person found this review helpful

We had a lovely stay at this cottage. We had four kids and they all had a ball, playing hide and seek. Such a lovely clean and well kept house. Will definitely be back sometime. Maeve the owner was always on hand if we needed something..she was most helpful.

19 Aug 2018
I was delighted to have Stacey & the family its great to share the cottage with nice families
Thanks Stacey
GaryArizo...
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Quiet, clean, and cold”
Reviewed 23 June 2018 for a stay in June 2018
people found this review helpful

Had a good week in the farmhouse. Reminded me of the homes my elder relatives used to live in . Big, lots of sitting ares. Nice yard leading down to pasture. Lots of leaky faucets, also like my relatives. Two surprises . Wifi is twenty euros extra. 50 euros at the end for processing. Found out that 24 hours before arrival. Maeve, put that up front. Felt a little slight of hand. It was an extra cold week in June. Lots of different heating suggestions so I should not complain. Ballymahon a good town to use as a base for exploration. Friendly people, groceries, well stocked pharmacy for med emergency.

Your age range 65+
24 Jun 2018
Gary its a pity you didn’t ask for heating as its standard to have 2 hours whenever you wish at no charge . It was difficult to contact you if you had any problems you should have contacted me . I’m available by phone /text as indicated. It was one of out warmest weeks of the year and visitors in recent weeks have not required heat
I hope despite that you enjoy your stay
mollyspor...
Rochester, New York
“A Lovely Irish Cottage!”
Reviewed 21 June 2018 for a stay in May 2018
person found this review helpful

When I first began to look for a rental in Ireland for my sister, sister-in-law, grandson and I, it began to look very confusing. However, since we were going to be renting a car and driving to various things and places we wished to see, I began to narrow my search to a central location. I found myself being drawn back to Maeve's cottage near Ballymahon. It was one of the first I had seen when starting my search, and it screamed "authentic Irish cottage" to me. However, I wasn't sure where it was at the time or where we might be going. I ended up back to that. I was NOT disappointed in any way!! The cottage is in a very beautiful, slightly private setting, yet it is close to lots of amenities and shopping and pubs. Maeve was always available to answer questions we had. She responds promptly and succinctly. My only regret about our stay is that we never got to actually meet Maeve in person, as she was on holiday seeing her sons. If you are considering a stay in the Irish countryside, and you want a great place to retreat at the end of the day, this is your place!! Every day when we returned from our excursions, as much as we enjoyed them, we would walk in to the cottage, put our stuff down, plop down in the living room and breathe a big sigh of relief. We absolutely loved our stay at the cottage!! Thank you Maeve!!!

24 Jun 2018
Thanks Molly for your lovely review its very much appreciate
Regards Maeve
Steve J
“Good but needs a little TLC”
Reviewed 21 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
people found this review helpful

Let’s by stating this is not a bashing.

The owner Maeve is a delight to deal with, however the same cannot be said for her agent Trip Advisor who were the people we dealt with for payment of the cottage.

Despite paying the deposit and then final amount just 2 weeks before leaving Australia , Trip Advisor advised is payment had not gone through and that we had to make the payment again, we refused and provided bank proof full payment had been made,

Nope, not good enough, Trip Advisor refused to believe us and demanded full payment again, we refused and demanded our deposit back and we will stop the full payment with our bank, finally a French lady from Trip Advisor actually rang us and eventually after a lengthy heated argument she said , “ I will call you back in half an hour to see what has gone wrong” .

Credit to the young lady, she called back and admitted they had made a mistake their end and that indeed full payment was received.

The owners of the cottage should address their choice of agent.

Ok, besides that.

As international guests we do not have full knowledge of directions on Irish roosts so when asked how to get to the cottage pretty much in the middle of nowhere with no street name or house number the directions given “ Take M8 to Athenry then M6 to Athlone then N55 to Ballymahon” meant very little to us coming from Shannon airport.
Getting to Ballymahon was not the hard part, directions from Ballymahon to the cottage would have been nice, you know, travel 2 kms out of Ballymahon on N55 heading towards Carrickboy and turn left at 4 way intersection, go over bridge for about 1 km and cottage on RHS with steel gate.

We ended up google earthing the cottage and then street viewed it in relation to Ballymahon.

Yes!!!! We found it and arrived safe.

The cottage viewed from outside and in are just as they are in the description online.

There are a number of minor maintenance issues that do need attention, to which Maeve has been made aware of and said she will address.

We do agree with another reviewer that perhaps extra towels and linen would be a nice touch as washing sheets and towels while on holidays sucks. We were lucky the weather was favourable.

Bringing extra towels in a already weight conscious suitcase was not an option for us.

Tv reception was poor to nil most days and we gave up and never used the tv room at all. But, in all fairness this was disclosed in the literature in the cottage.

Wi Fi, yes! and works very well and very well priced.

Wood for the heater was made available and do the right thing and leave some cash for what you use.

Central heating is an option at a good price but after our first night we found it far to hot for our liking, but nice to know it is there.

As mentioned earlier, Maeve is a delight to deal with and communicates well and often.

A few things like extra utensils in the kitchen, like tongs, potholders and a saucepan that fits the steamer pots would be nice.

Not sure of laws in Ireland but we were surprised no fire extinguishers or fire blanket was installed in rental accommodation.

A few issues with plumbing ( but again addressed by Maeve).

Overall this is a beautiful out of the way cottage with some great rural views from sunroom and master bedroom.

Would we stay here again ?

Would we deal with the agents to book it again.

HELL NO.

Andreas R
“Idylic Cottage”
Reviewed 10 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
people found this review helpful

First of all: Thank you Maeve for the wonderful vacation we could spend at your Cottage.
The Cottage Toome Bellymahon ist located in the rural naborhood of Bellymahone - a place to refresh and gain new energy.
There is almost nothing you will find amiss in the Cottage. Traditional concept with modern standard.
If we would like to come back? Yes we would - it is more than just a place for vacation - its a home for a short time.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing