“Fantastic Restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
dub in oz
“Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed in a beach house which is part of the carnaween house, we ate at the restaurant for the 3 nights we were there, each night the food was outstanding, As a chef my self I always manage to find fault in the food or service where ever I go. On this occasion I have to say the food, atmosphere and views from the restaurant were amazing, I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is travelling to Narin- Portnoo, well worth the visits. Also have to add the chocolate brownies and aero mint cheescake were just to die for...

• Visited April 2012

FIVEMILETOWN
“Food with a view”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Traveled to Portnoo for a day out with a meal arranged at Carnaween House, I had previously stayed a few days and thought the food and indeed the whole package was supberb.I was not disappointed had a sea view table and food of the highest order, all piping hot with very generous portions and lovely home made bread (if I had one problem it was that I took a starter which then limited what room was left) . The great thing was that you where made feel at home and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Visited April 2012
jayjjay
“The best food in Donegal?”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I often travel to Donegal for short holidays, Portnoo being one of my favourite spots. The options for eating out here have been fairly slim, with the Woodhouse (or the Nairn Inn pre 2001) being the only good option; so it was fantastic to see a resultant like the Carnaween open. Since its opening i have eaten here 3 - 4 times a year and I have to say that I have yet to have a bad meal, the food is fantastic and the portions generous every time! The service is always good and often outstanding. On one particular occasion in December 2010 Portnoo was essentially cut off by heavy snow, yet they still managed open the restaurant for just a handful of guests! They also have a great little cafe open in the summer nearer to the beach, serving easily the best coffees in Portnoo.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank jayjjay
Norn Iron
“Promised much, delivered pooly”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We spent our second wedding anniversary evening at Carnaween House, and things started well as we got one of the coveted window seats. Unfortunately the experience didn't get any better, with the harried waiting staff serving our pre-dinner drink and starter at the same time (even though we requested some time to get settled in). The food was just ok, with the chowder lacking seasoning and depth. The main courses also disappointed. My grilled lemon sole was doused in chilli powder, destroying the lovely natural flavours of the the fish. My wife has roast duck with a cherry sauce. The duck was overdone and the sauce too bitter to make up for it. A shared dessert selection showed some improvement, with a simply delicious warm chocolate fudge brownie taking top prize. The final blow was the bill - €105 for two including wine for what was a very mediocre experience.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank rich9
SouthAmerica
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Have eaten there twice now and really enjoyed it. Amazing setting make sure to get window seat! Atmosphere is great. Highly recommend and love the beach feel

1 Thank ChicaSouthAmerica