“Nice get away from it all cottage”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Monaghan's cottage

Jetty on Lough Melvin
Playing a pike on Lough Allen
Jack and Jill ensuite wetroom
3rd Bedroom
Drying the turf on the cottage bank
Malin beg
Sunset Lough Allen
30 tube solar panel
Surfing Strandhill
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
wizziwaz
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
“Nice get away from it all cottage”
Reviewed 25 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

We stayed here with a 6 month old baby at the end of September for 5 days.
The cottage is reasonably priced and in a lovely quiet, secluded location.
You have everything you need there (apart from scissors) but I have asked the owner to get some :).
The views are spectacular of the lough below and surrounding hills.
The owner was very helpful and everything was prepared for our visit. There are loads of DVDs, books for rainy days and an Xbox with a few games and kinect. This is a first for me in any cottage and I am sure a welcome addition for any children (or big children) to play with.
You will need to make sure that your tyres are in good condition for the stone strewn lane on the way up. The lane is also only large enough for one car but thankfully you meet very few on the way up or down. I had one tractor and two jeeps who all gave way to me or reversed back to let me pass.
There is under floor heating which keeps the temperature around 21 degrees C but there is a fire there in case you get chilly in the evenings. I was a bit disappointed that the complementary timber wasn't in the basket on arrival and I had to purchase my own from a nearby town, but this is probably just an oversight.
The kitchen is well maintained and everything works. There is a washing machine and a dishwasher.
If I had any observations it would be that the house needs a lick of paint and a good scrub here and there. Also one of the bathrooms smells of damp which unfortunately greets you as you come in. However these issues do not take away from the experience of staying there and I thoroughly recommend it.
We had Sunday lunch in Clancys at the bottom of the lane and a short drive to the left which was good home cooked food at a reasonable cost. there is also a handy shop beside it for essentials.
There is a picture on the wall of how the cottage used to look and its simply amazing what was needed to be done to transform it into the comfortable home it is now.
Go for a visit and you won't be disappointed.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
26 Sep 2015
Many thanks for your kind review. I normally welcome all guests upon arrival put unfortunately I was under medical supervision [--] (this is a stressful occupation). It would appear that our cleaner omitted to fill the basket and scuttle with complimentary turf and wood. As part of our welcome pack we would also include chocolate and wine. I hope the additional €28 discount will compensate for these omissions. I suspect that the damp smell was the result of the shower trap drying out, an issue with underfloor heating, I have instructed the cleaner to check both wet rooms prior to guest arrival. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back next season. We have scheduled the painter and decorator for the end of October and the scissors✂️ are on order.
Beryl M
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“A great place to unwind”
Reviewed 29 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

A lovely cottage , just the right place to get away from it all .
Michael the owner is very helpful .
The cottage is comfortable and has all the essentials , it was great having a fire in the evenings even in the summer .
It's secluded enough to get away from it all but there is a lot to do in the surrounding area if you want to explore the history of the region.
These are not criticisms but as it was summer the duvets which were 15 tog were to heavy and we all thought that a covered deck area with a hot tub would just be the cherry on the top (wishful thinking perhaps )

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The seclusion
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
29 Jul 2015
Many thanks for your review and observations. We have purchased 4.5 tog duvets and will leave them in the cottage as an alternative to the 15 tog winter ones. (1 degree C last night July 28th). Great idea for the hot tub to enjoy the views, maybe next year. Best Regards Michael
fishorte
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”
Reviewed 2 June 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Fabulous situation, awesome views, outstanding accommodation - we loved it. Michael, the owner, could not have been more helpful and friendly and we will be back!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
8 Jun 2015
Many thanks for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you next May.
Best Wishes
bjbapp
Belfast, United Kingdom
“sheer peace and quite”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We stayed here with a young family in July. The owner came to meet us and we found him really nice and helpful .He has only started renting the cottage and it needs some small changes to make it 100%. We pointed out about there being no outside table (found this very unfortunate ) and he said he was getting that sorted but for us the most annoying thing was the owner kept bees in the back garden and we were afraid to allow our small child to run about incase he got stung (which he didn't I must say ). Also the wifi was very limited and our kids could only use it for 3 days then asked to stop :-( they had used to much, any modern family is gonna have kids that use internet so this would need to be addressed. Now to the plus side, wow what a view also the house is well stocked with books dvds ect. This is a real chill out place with total piece and quite offered. If you wanna just get away from it all and recharge your batteries try here. We would return to stay again.

Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
25 Jul 2014
Many thanks for your review and appreciate the valid comments. I will provide an outside table this weekend.Unfortunately broadband is not readily available in the country and the 15Gb monthly package was the best available at the time,plenty for emails and surfing, the 8Gb used in the three days was scary as I am charged €20 per Gb over my allowance. I hope to get a 60Gb package from 3 when they take over the O2 network. I accept the hive is close to the house and can be off putting. I will move the hive up by the forest and hopefully we can offer you some heather honey next year. I enjoyed meeting you and hope to add additional features for your next visit. Best Wishes
LMSalsa
Larne, United Kingdom
“A brilliant base for exploring County Sligo, Cavan, Fermanagh and Leitrim. Fantastic views from house, warm and cosy atmosphere,”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Couldn't fault this home at all. Lots of room around the cottage, brilliant views of the lough and mountains. Lovely open plan kitchen and living room .. sofas are cream so are a bit discoloured in places. Bedrooms well thought out and plenty of hot water for showering .. no bath, but didn't bother us. Lots of towels left and washing machine there if needed. A really good base to explore the surrounding areas .. we went to Cavan, Enniskillen, Sligo and the Marble Arch Caves. Michael couldn't do enough for us and rang to make sure we had everything we needed .. a really nice touch. Thanks

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing