All reviews seafood snack bar cayo santa maria pizza a la cartes french restaurant chicken the bus other resorts ocean view paddle boats guitar player drink service on the beach crepe station beach server crepes mango
Reviewed 9 May 2017

I have been to Cuba a few times now and this is the best Cuban hotel I’ve been to:
The Room:
The hotel opened in Dec. 2016 so our room was modern and clean. Nice balcony and comfortable room.

The Pool:
The pool was clean and usually warm. It is shallow most of the way through, 3’ish, with an area that’s about 5’ deep. There is a kids pool that is large and runs about 1’ deep throughout and an even smaller, shallow pool in the childcare area.

The beach:
The beach is not huge but is great. Soft and sandy. There is great snorkelling right off the beach. Going around the rocks to the left is even better. We saw lobster, barracuda, box fish, star fish, stingrays, eels, parrot fish, angel fish and more. There were plenty of chairs available but the resort was not busy at all. The drinks guy came by every 15 minutes or so, very often.

The food:
The best food at the resort is the Chicken Nuggets from the snack bar.
They have standard food with pasta, fish and meat stations for dinner, crepe and eggs stations for breakfast. We didn’t do any A La Carte visits.

The Staff:
Friendly and cordial, they were usually very helpful and happy to go out of their way. There is a bit too much friendliness between some staff members that sometimes seemed to take priority over guests, but this was not too common.

The area:
There is the good and bad. This area is off limits to locals so there is nobody trying to sell you things or push anything on you. But, if you want to see a town, it’s a way away… The area mostly unspoiled and raw.

SCUBA diving:
The diving exceeded my expectations 10 fold; Lots of coral, colour and life. Many fish and fishes and the diving is not expensive by Caribbean standards (65 CUC, $91 CAD for 2 dives, 155, $215 CAD for 6 dives). The diving is done through the marina (can be organized at hotel) and they also offer a Discover Scuba for 55 CUC where they take you to another hotel for the pool session and then the Marina. I have roughly 150 dives and this was among the best. The gear was reasonable.

Conclusion:
The hotel was very safe. We left money and electronics in the room and on beach chairs with nothing going missing. Including leaving the safe open by accident a few times. I will be going back. My concern would be when the hotel is full as there is only 1 pool and the beach and dining rooms are not huge.

Feel free to contact me with any questions

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
11  Thank Jsh99
DhawaFamily, Manager at Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Hi there Aquaman! :)

We are so happy that you have enjoyed your experience here at Dhawa.
It was awesome to have you stay with us and provide us with many tips to ensure that we only improve our, your, resort. You know what I mean LOL. We love to get feedback from our guests while they are in-house…

We are so thrilled that you loved the facility we have for those passionate about snorkeling. We are very proud to have a wealth of marine life just a few meters from our beach.

Thank you for your comments and we do miss you and the lovely group of friends you made here.

Hope to see you at Dhawa in the near future, so we can have many more fun moments and live the new experiences that we are preparing for all of our guests, DHAWA FAMILY :)

All the best wishes...

Dhawa Family.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Amazing week, amazing staff, rooms very clean and spacious, small beautiful beach and really good food at the snack bar (specially chicken nuggets)...Entertainment staff were super friendly, I had great time with them specially with Tania and Yondry :)

Definitely coming back to Dhawa, I have nothing negative to say

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Coastal314653
DhawaFamily, Manager at Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Hola amigo! : )

We will be waiting for you to come back soon, then! Thank you for your kind words, we are so happy you enjoyed your time with our Entertainment team and our famous Chicken Nuggets from Snack Bar Captain Cook! \☺/ ♥♥♥

Hasta pronto!

Reviewed 4 May 2017

My boyfriend and I went for 4 nights from apr 23-27. Check in was amazing as were the welcome drinks upon arrival. We were given a tour of the area when taken to our room. The room was clean and spacious. Housekeeping came every day around 11am and did an amazing job. Mini fridge was stocked and refilled daily. The pool was gorgeous!! Ample seating and no need to save seats. We enjoyed the buffet and the a la carte restaurant. We opted for the lobster dinner and ours were cooked to perfection. Every morning for breakfast we were greeted by the same server who had a special table for us. He always had our orange juice, mimosas and coffee ready for us. I wish I remembered his name, he was so attentive. The receptionist Elena at the front was always answering our questions and offered to purchase us a cubacel SIM card in town so that we didn't have to go searching for one. The hotel could have some more evening entertainment but after a day relaxing at the pool by 10 we were exhausted. We did venture down to the beach and it wasn't bad as the other reviews. We strolled along the white sandy beaches and it was tranquil. The staff were all friendly. We could hang out with them and have conversations. They even played a game of pool with my boyfriend. Water polo and activities in the pool with Tanya were fun. All in all we will definitely be coming back here. It was our first time in Cuba and we found nothing wrong.

Room tip: Building 5 near lobby, pool and buffet
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tanya L
DhawaFamily, Manager at Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

So it was your first time in Cuba and you already selected our beautiful DHAWA as the very start??

You couldn't have began any better than that! ♥♥♥♥♥

Thank you so much for your review Tanya L! We are very happy to know that you loved our comfortable rooms, the cleanliness, our amazing lobster, the pool, the beach...simply everything! \☺/

We are really looking forward for having you again soon for your second (and even better!) great time in Cuba. : )

Hasta la próxima!

Reviewed 2 May 2017

My 2 sisters, mother and I were at Dhawa from April 8th to April 15th and we enjoyed it !

Most employees on the resort gave an amazing service, except at the lobby where they didn’t smile much and we felt like they were disrupted from their group talk. Most employees did not understand English or French.

Elsewhere on the resort, everyone was great, kind, smiling and welcoming. Some of them even greeted us by our first name. At the beach, the chair/towel service was amazing and the food/drinks waiter was incredible and very sweet.

The beach was a big disappointment with all the seaweed, broken sea shells and stones. The nearby lagoon with stagnant water had a very bad / yucky smell all the way to the beach.

On my last day, the maid took all the clothes I had folded on my bed in order to pack up my suitcase instead of just taking the pesos as usual. Thankfully, she returned everything the same night. The acting manager on site was supposed to keep me posted on the returning of my clothes later that night but he never came to see me. I had to go back myself to the lobby and recuperate the bag which was again given to me by the same unpleasant staff. Never had excuses from anyone; I even paid my lobster fee of 15CUC thinking to myself it would maybe be graciously offered to compensate all the inconveniences and stress this had caused. Nope, they took my money anyway.

The food was very good for Cuba, especially à la carte restaurants, but the buffet food was not identified. Thankfully, it was so quiet during that week, we were able to have 5 times in restaurants with delicious champain. We wrote an e-mail to the hotel manager and the reception desk one week before with some special requests, but never got anything. We found out other clients got special treats but nothing special was done for us.

We were in bungalow 6 with a great view. The patio door (mosquito net) was amazing and allowed us to sleep listening to the sound of the waves. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. There were no facecloths (you need to bring your own).

The internet was very bad. We had to connect in the lobby but it constantly crashed and it was continuously very long for pages to upload.

We are far from being party animals but we found the site was lacking animation during the day at the beach and at the swimming pool. There was no Cuban band in the lobby during the evening which would have been really nice. They had one at the buffet some of the evenings with very limited people present to really enjoy them. The lobby and hotel site had 90’s and today’s music jam playing all the time…. we would have appreciated Cuban / Latino music instead.

My mother had to consult a doctor for an eye infection. He was difficult to track down and nobody on site could really tell when he would be present at the hotel. When we finally saw him, he was very kind and treated my mom very well.

In general, we enjoyed our week, but will unfortunately not return.

Room tip: Bungalow no 6
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Manon G

Hello Manon,

We would like to thank you for your visit in companion of your family to our beloved DHAWA.

We are sad to hear that you had a good time with your family, but it didn't exceed your expectations. Sometimes things go wrong and we are very sorry for the misunderstandings and mishaps. We are glad though you did like your room in bungalow 06, second floor as you have requested. ☺

If you could give us a second chance to make things better it would be great! All our Family enjoyed to have your family around here. It would be fantastic having you back.

Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 27 April 2017

This was my 7th time to Cuba, third time to Cayo Santa Maria.

Stayed at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, rated #1 in Cayo Santa Maria, and compared to the price difference for Dhawa, it is definitely worth coming here!

It is brand new, so minor issues are expected. Please keep in mind, the people at this resort work much harder and longer hours than the average North American will ever work in their life, and even with rude guests, they still manage to keep smiling! You try doing that every day you go into work!

Hotel - ground are well maintained and clean, no garbage anywhere and easy to get around

Rooms - basic but nice, everything worked, fridge was re-stocked and towels were replaced - could have used more of then, but no biggie.

Food - For Cuba, fantastic! I walked through the Memories Cayo Santa Maria when I stayed at the Royalton, and i wouldn't eat there even if you paid me. The buffet was not HUGE, but it was quality over quantity.
For those who want to eat copious quantities of crappy food and maintain their large figures, go to Memories. Fresh meats and seafood to be cooked in front of you, how you like it! Yes you might have to wait, but it will be fresh, not sitting under a heat lamp for hours!
Snack bar serves the best seafood and Hawaiian pizzas! Unbelievable!

Bars - more than enough selection, never had to wait. Bartenders are friendly, just smile when you order and you are good.

Beach - Gorgeous!! Little bit of seaweed a few mornings, but workers were cleaning it all the time. We never had a problem finding chairs on the beach, and the gentlemen working there would help us find a spot if there wasn't one right away. Osvaldo at the beach bar walked up and down the beach serving drinks to everyone, absolutely amazing! Not sure how he manages to keep going all day!

Pools - Clean, chairs available. Some food/drinks were left out on chairs couple of times, wish the guests wouldn't act like such slobs. Waiters do their best to come clean up around the pool area. Afternoon entertainment was nice, couple of activities, then just music playing.

A La Cartes - Excellent! The food was delicious, staff was remarkable! We prefer to eat later, so we made late reservations. No issues, only thing is the hotel needs to make sure people with reservations are seated first. Some French Canadians showed up without a reservation and tried to tip the hostess to get a seat without a reservation. That's how complaints about the hotel start - so hope the guests can respect the booking process.

Shows - were about a 4 star quality but the effort was 5 star. Tried their best to get everyone going! Entertainment seating area always had seats available, no need to go early.

Disco - not too full while we were there, but the DJ was fantastic! (He also is a waiter in the restaurant) Best DJ we have ever seen and played music the crowd loved.

Gym - not big, but enough where you can get some cardio in and use a machine or two
Tennis - available until 7pm everyday

Overall, I would come here again. The people are nice if you are nice to them - treat people how you wish to be treated. You will not find another hotel, in the same price range, in Cuba, with this type of luxury!

Learn a few phrases in Spanish and you will be fine! Also - you don't HAVE to tip - service is good regardless, but a dollar here and there goes a long way! The staff absolutely deserves it!

Room tip: Loved our room, perfect for us who like to go to the gym in the morning. building 11
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
22  Thank TravelSDF
DhawaFamily, Manager at Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

That´s the spirit, S-Family5...the workers that wants to be part of the DHAWA FAMILY don´t have to be the most experienced professional, but MUST HAVE tremendous attitude to work here everyday! So we try here to have the best of the best to serve you. We all work everyday with a lot of passion and pride of what we do.
We are so proud with your review! We are pretty sure that sharing it to all our Family members it will be an amazing motivation for everyone. ; )
Once again THANK YOU for your visit and your words. Worths more than any tip. ☺☺☺
See you next timeeeeee!