All reviews family room ice cream taichung railway station family mart excellent location fengjia night market value for money complimentary bottled water buy detergent provided daily polite staff bath towels safe deposit box superior double room one night stay free laundry small gym
Reviewed 17 December 2015

excellent location just few steps away from taichung train station but far from everything like night market, food spots, etc. no breakfast included in room rate, room was small and bathroom was like 90s very very old style

Room Tip: pricey old hotel
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Heloise qi Z
Reviewed 16 December 2015 via mobile

A class act in a rather rundown neighborhood. I thought this hotel was for businessmen, feels like a newly renovated hotel. Reception staff was very helpful to help us book day tours.
Got upgraded to a bigger double bedroom. King size bed (two single combined), an island counter top, french windows, separated shower n toilet. No wardrobe, only a wooden clothes hanger.
Very spacious room nicely furbished. Plenty of shops nearby for you to walk around. 5 minutes walk from Taichung train station, just walk straight all the way. Very lucky to stay in great hotels on this trip so far.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2015

We were looking for a clean hotel near Taichung TRA Station with family or quad room with windows and free wifi, to use as a base for day trips to Earthquake Park, Xinshe and Sun Moon Lake. Narrowed our choice to Plaza Hotel and Hotel 53. Plaza Hotel's quad room is cheaper, has breakfast provided but has no windows. We decided to pay more for Hotel 53 even though there's no breakfast because we wanted a room with windows. That's about USD115 per night per night for a quad room with two queen beds for four persons. Travellers arriving by taxi from the nearest HSR Station at Wuri should note that Hotel 53's name in Chinese 宝岛 is completely different and not a direct translation.

The room was clean and the location was convenient. That's not a tall order as there are other properties with similar attributes near the Taichung TRA Station such as Kiwi Express Hotel. However the room was much smaller than the impression we had from Trip Advisor photos. The window was small and it faced the hotel's backyard which was a dark lane that was a motorcycle/scooter parking lot. The room not adequately equipped for four persons (only one arm chair, four hangers and two packets of 3-in-1 coffee.) The female staff at the reception issued us with only one key card and when pressed for another three, she explained curtly that the hotel's policy is to give out a maximum of only two key cards per room irrespective of the number of persons who were booked and paid to stay in it. The room was equipped with four pillows, one for each occupant, but they were flat. We asked for an extra pillow each but the female staff said the hotel's policy was to give out a maximum of only one extra pillow per room. She said extra pillows were chargeable but could not come up with the fee when probed and suggested we could buy cushions. As it was high season, we had to put up with the inconvenience at Hotel 53 as it was tough to look for alternative accommodation at the last minute.

What was most disappointing for us was the broken promise of free wifi. The wifi in our room was non-existent though it was supposed to come with free wifi for four devices. When we called the front desk for a router, they sent a polite guy up to our room to tell us that Hotel 53 does not have any routers. HUH??? He said the wifi signal was poor and the best (and ONLY) place in the room to log into the wifi was to stand next to the window. We tried but the signal was weak, only ONE device can be logged in at any point, and even then the speed was painfully slow, and the connection was dropped and we had to repeat the log in process all over again. He suggested going to the ground floor seating area near the lift lobby.

Location is the only plus. The female front desk officer with an attitude problem was a one time nasty encounter; we're independent travellers who are self sufficient so we never had to get help from her or her colleagues again. We visit Taiwan several times again but we are unlikely to return to 53 Hotel on future trips to Taichung even if they comp us.

Room Tip: Ten rooms per floor. Avoid the corner room ending in digit 8. Poor mobile phone signal and very poor, weak, slow and patchy wifi.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Frappezz
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Location and price are of the foremost factors when I choose a hotel, and I must say that 53 Hotel has both reasons nailed down to the letter. The hotel is located within 5-8 mins walk from the Taichung Train Station, the undisputed transport hub of Taichung. Once you exit the station, you can either roll your luggage on the road, or use the underpass if the weather is bad. Both ways are equally convenient. There are plenty of food options around the hotel, but I do recommend you must visit the ice cream parlour across the road at least once.

The hotel is trendily decorated, from the lobby, to the common corridors, all the way to the room. As for the room itself, there is a feeling of luxury without being overwhelmed. The mattresses on the beds are thick and firm, so my family had a very good night's sleep for the two days we were there. The hotel staff were also extremely helpful as well. We arrived before our room was ready, and we used the time then to explore the vicinity. When we came back at the designated time, we were given our room cards, and told our luggage were already in there. Very well done!

Perhaps the only down side I can think of was the hotel breakfast. Although there was a choice of traditional and western fare, the best thing I could say was that the quality was basic. Compared to the delicious breakfast we had at our previous hotel in Kaohsiong (which was a budget hotel), the items at the relatively more luxurious 53 Hotel was a shade off the mark. However, this was no big deal for us, since the purpose of breakfast was to get us ready for a day of outing.

Overall, for the price we paid and the second-to-none location, the 53 Hotel is well recommended. We have already made plans to visit Taichung again, and this hotel would be the top of a very short list.

Room Tip: As you exit Taichung Train Station, take the road on the left
Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2015

This is an exception hotel . I am very impressed by the staff services and attitude to customer. Can you imagine that the receptionist send me to the lift and bow before I go inside the lift?
We took the family room , 2 double bed. at only NT2800 1 nite ( no breakfast) cash pay upon check in @ booking .com.
I purposely dropped our luggage in the morning at the hotel before we left for Sun Moon Lake/Cingjing . The counter staff just smiled and passed me a luggage tag ( no problem -they said after verifying my booking ). At first, I was afraid I may need to bring my big luggage to Cingjing if they rejected.
Super service - amazed that the luggage was already brought in my room when check in 2 days later .

The Hotel is clean and new. Free washer and dryer for guest.
It is right opposite the famous ice cream chain . Also 5 min from Taichung Railway station and bus station . we took a bus next day to 921 earthquake museum . Very convenient place to bring sun biscuit and restaurant nearby are quite famous. I really enjoy touring the shops around this area compared to Fengjia . It is more traditional. There is a famous sandwiches shop . ask the hotel for the map with the famous shops direction

One thing I note is that there is construction of building right next to the hotel. I can see it my window. I guess it will be noisy in the day time with the construction going on. we left early in the morning and come back at night .so no problem

Room Tip: Pls choose a room face the road so avoid the construction building
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family