We stayed 2 nights at the Rhino Residence, as part of a group trip through Nepal, (not the Rhino Lodge – there seems to be some confusion there) and were quite satisfied even if the hotel it not up to the highest standards. When arriving, after hours on the bumpy road from Kathmandu, the hotel seems like heaven. However, after a while you realize it is not a luxury resort as advertised and it certainly does not meet the expectations created by the reviews I read before arriving.
The best thing about the hotel is the location. For although it does not offer any views of the river, it is close to the river, about 2-3 minutes on foot, which means you can easily go out at night for shopping or a drink or a meal. The village has a surprisingly active nightlife, which is good since the hotel-bar closes down very very early.
There are about 5-6 rooms to each concrete lodge-building, spread in a circle. The rooms are relatively large, but have a very tired look and are not very comfortable. Two separate beds, no complimentary water bottles. No telephone, no blow drier (though we were given one on request). Complimentary hot water bottle, however, each night in bed, which was perfect, since it got really cold. Can’t remember whether there was an A/C installed, but I know that we did not have the option of using it. No safe, no mini fridge. And certainly no own fishpond to each room, as the site declares.
Bathroom: No complimentary toiletries at all. Appears dirty. Plus, top-part of window has no glass, so consequently:
1) You hear each and every sound from all the other bathrooms (there is something like an atrium in the middle of the lodge.
2) The room gets icy-cold at night, even if you close the bathroom door.
Frequent power-outages, and while the hotel has a generator, taking a shower is not always possible as the generator supports only basic functions.
At some point, after 11 pm, even the generator stopped working, which meant we could not recharge cell phone and camera batteries.
Breakfast: self-service, but little choice.
Other meals: self-service, little choice.
Pool: small, needed cleaning
Free wi-fi, but very slow
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rhino Residency Resort, an exciting combination of luxury and wildlife adventure in Chitwan National Park, which started its operation from January 2000. The RRR with its ideal location at Sauraha, a minute's walk away from the Chitwan National Park, can be reached by four hours picturesque drive from Kathmandu. The C.N.P. known the over for being one of the most, well-managed parks in Asia, is home for more than 550 varied species of birds, the Great Asian one-horned rhinoceros, the Bengal tiger, the leopard, the sloth bear besides deer, monkeys, crocodiles and other small mammals. Our resort offers you three guest blocks, each comprising of 08 air-conditioned and well-furnished rooms with attached baths with 24 hours hot and cold water supply. Each room has a veranda. Our restaurant serves Indian, Chinese, Nepalese and Continental cuisine and our bar boasts of the world's best beverages. In the midst of the serenity of our beautiful garden, lies a swimming pool surrounded by thatched umbrella shades and hammock. Our well-trained staff is always at your service, ever ready to offer you the best in services and hospitality. We offer you nature walks, briefing about elephants, bathing with them and elephant ride safari. Slide show presentations, tharu cultural dance programmes, village tours, jungle excursions, jungle drives, bird watching tours and other wildlife related and cultural activities besides the use of our other facilities like our swimming pool, badminton court, tennis court, library, mini museum, conference room (for 40 people) and more.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and lastminute.com.au so you can book your The Rhino Residency Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.