“Village Pub”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Frenchay
Price range: USD 3 - USD 22
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A village pub on the edge of Frenchay common with a great range of beers and ales, wines and spirits, Inside and outside dining with beautiful gardens, live music monthly, bbqs through the summer, televised sport, quiz nights
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We have recently moved to the area and are so relieved to have such a wonderful village pub a short walk away.

The pub itself is situated on a picturesque village green with a great view from the front and impressive view of the Frome river valley at the back. It always has a good atmosphere and is always busy when we have been.

The beer is excellent with a number of bottled ales, lagers and about 3-5 ales on tap which change regularly. I have never had an off pint here. There all the expected spirits and a small wine list. Drinks are reasonable in price.

The menu is wide ranging, the standouts are the burgers, mixed grill and the pork-belly. The food is not ground-breaking but it is tasty, good quality and reasonably priced,- exactly what you want from your local!

It can sometimes be difficult to get a table due to how well utilised the pub is by locals and visitors. Staff have universally been pleasant and helpful and the pub is family-friendly.

2  Thank Rico4891

Reviewed 10 January 2017

There was 6 in our group, the table we sat at was full of glasses and cups and saucers, after 2 hours we asked an assistant if she would kindly tidy the table for us, her reply we have been really busy and to be patient we replied we had been there 2 hours surely that was long enough.

We ordered some food and each had a voucher for 33.3 off our food bill, the land lady served us and was really frustrated we had these vouchers and that we were not entitled to the discount as we needed to register on line, we told her no where on the voucher did it tell us to do so, she agreed to give us 25 percent off as she could not work out 33.3 percent, we were not happy but as we were starving agreed to this. She told us how she had been up since 7am and non stop working which is not the customer problem, if the job is too much for her then she needs to leave.

8  Thank Tracey W
White L, Manager at White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Hi, thank you for your comments, once again I apologise to you for the issue you had on your visit,I understand your frustration, and can clarify again that there was an issue with the voucher that you had, as it would not register off the till, and that the team and I believed that this was because in the booklet it stated that you had to log onto the website to look up which pubs were doing which offers., so the team asked me to try to sort out and I came out of the kitchen as soon as I had a gap in cooking to try to do so, and yes I could not get the 33% off food voucher button to work, hence my offering to use a 25% off all food and drink button instead, which did not require a code to be entered as did the voucher you had - during the conversation I was asked why the tables weren't being cleared and I explained that we had been caught totally off guard and that the small team we had on had worked exceptionally hard trying to keep on top of the trade, and yes I did comment that I had been in the kitchen myself since 7am and had been so busy I couldn't even get out the front to help them even though I knew they were struggling.... and believ me I would have if id been able to, I believe I apologised for the wait you had when you let me know that the waitress, - the only one on the floor that afternoon explained that she would get to the clearing as soon as possible, sometimes trade takes a turn that we cannot envisage and we get caught out, this was one of those days..... once again apologies

Reviewed 7 January 2017

this is a great pub for a lovely drink or great food ,the staff are very friendly and helpful ,
a must for Bristol,

1  Thank davidhodgkins5
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Been here twice in the space of a month! I am yet to be disappointed by the food!
Cute little place! Can imagine it's a good place in the summer too as you could sit on the common!
One of the times i visited was with my grandad and it is easily accessible for him with his frame!
I'll be a regular for sure! Love it!

1  Thank Toni H
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

Called in after visiting relatives and it looked OK. Then suddenly it hit me I was standing not in a private pub but a greene king pub. Well as in nearly all other greene king pub vastly under staffed which is never good. The food well it was adequate. We were hungry and after all there's not all lot that can go wrong with frozen food well that's what I thought. But our chips well some were under cooked overs over cooked not sure how they managed this. There is not much for vegatarians and what there is, is not brilliant. Also my aunty said her chips tasted meaty. It does say separately cooked and suitable for vegatarians but iam not so sure anyway I did not have chips. The puddings well again frozen or defrosted but OK. For the money it was as I said adequate but certainly nothing special. The wait was over forty five minutes and trying to get drinks I just gave up not the best experience I have ever had.

1  Thank Cyndi M