“A lovely restaurant for a romantic meal when on holiday in the Savoie Region”
Review of Chez Merie

Chez Merie
Price range: USD 45 - USD 75
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Recommended by our chalet owner, we visited this lovely restaurant set in a small village part way up a valley for dinner. We were welcomed onto their patio which overlooks the mountains and their pool - we did not try it!

Our pre-dinner gin based cocktails were delightfully presented. The starters were a little on the expensive side, but again were well presented and tasty. The mains were good value - we had Magret de Canard and Tartare de Boeuf. The local Mondeuse grape wine we selected was okay, but we probably would not go with that again as this grape works best blended. After all the lovely earlier dishes, our desert, Meringue Glacee, was a little disappointing. However the overall food experience was excellent.

The restaurant itself is quite large and in the winter would be cosy with it's fires.

My daughter and son in law visited two nights later and similarly enjoyed a great meal. During our stay in the Region we also enjoyed a great walk over the Col de Montiseti. This starts a short drive up the road from La Mazure which is just across the valley from Le Miroir. The drive up to the Italian border at Col de petit St Bernard is also very pretty and worthwhile, and very accessible from le Miroir.

1  Thank LindiBoy2

Reviewed 11 April 2017

It is well worth taking time to find this beautiful den of relaxation, we visited in the summer so were able to make use of the pool after our lazy lunch, however, I would equally love to visit in the winter months.
I wish that I had paid more attention in my French lessons though ...... still time I suppose!

1  Thank Jelly0naPlate
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Great food but on the expensive side and they don't seem to appreciate kids can eat less and should be charged less. Still reasonable value as it was well done food and nice ambience.

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

One of our favourite Alpine restaurants. Excellent food , service and value. A great place to visit any time of year. Great for lunch in summer too with outdoor pool to enjoy.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

My wife and I were joined by another couple and their two small children. Upon being seated in the lounge area by the fire, we were informed that there was no children's menu, nor any food designed for children.

This is quite clearly a venue that is not wish for children to be brought along for the ride. This in itself is fine; adult diners can enjoy a dignified, romantic evening dining in truly sumptuous, unique surroundings, with peace and quiet.

However, this should be made clear at the booking stage, thus making the occasion better for both the restaurant and its customers.

The interior, as mentioned is wonderful, (see the attached photos). The food, as you will no doubt have read in other reviews, is largely meat based. I chose lamb from one of the three legs cooking on the open fire in the lounge/dining room area. Two of our group ordered the beef for two, while my wife went for the fish option, which was a whole trout.

My wife enjoys fish, but does not want to see an entire animal on her plate. We were informed that this could have the head and tail removed, and the fish filleted. However, my wife was presented with a whole fish on her plate, which was then dissected in front of her, with numerous bones left intact in the fish.

My lamb was delicious. However, I was not asked how I wanted it, and it came very well done. As it happens lamb is the one meat that I enjoy like that. (I have since read that other diners had bloody, raw lamb given to them.)

The beef for two was gigantic, delicious, and perfectly cooked (rare in the middle, becoming medium, and then a lovely thin crisp surface).

Not able to deal with adult food, the children had bread.

So, would we go again? Probably yes. But the children would be left at home.