All reviews his mother the owner la corte dei papi steam room cycling trip family home personal attention every guest our honeymoon grounds are beautiful beautiful hotel heaven on earth state of the art the perfect host wine tasting very special place salami
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

We had the pleasure of dining at Relais La Corte Dei Papi during our week stay in Cortona and it was our favorite dinner of the trip. We loved the place so much that we would have changed our accommodations had we not been prepaid! The property is just beautiful and the food was outstanding. All the dishes were superb and the service impeccable..The experience was made all the more special by David the owner. He is a charming host and when we commented on how beautiful the property was he invited us back the next day for a personal tour. It is an elegant and gorgeous hotel and we will definitely stay there if we return to Cortona. Thank you David for a wonderful dinner and evening!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2018 via mobile

Where to even begin! My husband and I recently traveled to Cortona from Rome for the second stop during our Italian honeymoon! Our travel agent booked our reservations at this magical place. I’ll be honest in that I told her to book it without even glancing at the website because I was so busy with wedding planning.

I have never written a review on trip advisor but was blown away by our stay at this resort. First, I feel like I cannot even call this a hotel. It feels like you are staying at someone’s home or a private bed and breakfast. This hotel/ resort feels as though it is straight out of a movie set. This resort has been in the family of the owner, David, for many centuries. He explained he grew up on the farm and years ago decided to restore it, first opening the restaurant, and later he and his mother opened the resort. He still lives part time on the property, which is evident by how well run the resort is. There is so much charm and character, both visible as soon as you pull into the parking lot. The resort is set back from the street making it quiet and certainly more private.

On to our stay: Prior to our arrival, David set up a driver to pick us up from the train station and drive us to La Corte Dei Papi (about a 10 minute drive). The driver was there waiting for us as soon as we walked out of the train station. When we pulled into the resort, I was immediately blown away by the pristine condition of the property. We got out of the car and as we were walking to the entrance, we were immediately greeted by David, the owner, as if he was waiting for us to arrive. He guided us to the lobby and then graciously took our bags and personally walked us to our cottage. As we got to the door, David explained that he upgraded our room to one of their spa suites free of charge as a gift for our honeymoon. He gave us a tour of the cottage which included the most beautiful furniture- a king size bed, two large wardrobes, a large vanity, a small sitting area and a large double sink bathroom vanity. The room also had a mini fridge stocked with drinks and wine. The “spa” in the room was devine. Our cottage included a jacuzzi tub and a large shower/steam room combo, spa robes and large towels and even better wash cloths (which I understand are hard to come by in Italian hotels!) The shower was a rain shower and the steamer included lights and relaxing music. I am not one to use hotel bath products but theirs smelled amazing! So much so that my husband and I tried to track down the scent of the room by sniffing all of the products. The jacuzzi tub and steam room provided a nice relaxing spa experience for the chilly, rainy weather we had during our stay. We also had a private terrace outside of our cottage. Even in the rain, it was beautiful. Everything at the resort was in immaculate condition and was so clean and well maintained. We stayed at the resort for two nights and the entire time we were there, it was so quiet, we felt like we were the only ones there. I cannot imagine how beautiful this place is during the summer months because even in the dreary, grey weather, it was beautiful.

On our first day, after settling in, we walked back to the lobby where David and Gulia, once again were readily available to help us plan our day. The gave us information on Cortona, wineries, restaurants, etc. We decided to go into town and Gulia set up a driver to take us the short drive into town. We were greeted by Albeano (spelling?) who was the NICEST person I think I have ever met in my life. He asked where we wanted to go and after asking for his suggestions, he got back out of the car, gave us his map and in his best English explained all of Cortona to us. He took the time to tell us where we should go to views of the city, the best places to walk and restaurants to eat at. He felt like family. He was patient with us while he could have just dropped us off and let us figure it out ourselves.

When we returned to the property, David greeted us on the walk to our room to check in and make sure everything was okay and made sure to ask if there was anything we needed. He reminded us about dinner and offered to make a reservation for us either at the resort or a restaurant in town. We decided to eat in the resort restaurant bc after seeing how amazing the property was, we decided the food would most likely be amazing. We were not let down! At 8pm, David was still there and was also working in the restaurant. He took time to explain the menu and took our order. He constantly checked on us during our meal to make sure it was prepared the way we liked it. There was so much delicious bread served as well. Our meals were fresh and flavorful. The dessert was also amazing. We were the last people in the restaurant and David stayed until we were finished to make sure we didn’t need anything before bed.

In the morning, after we slept in a bit, we walked to the main house for breakfast. David had had a table set for us and had asked the wait staff to keep the buffet open for us even though we almost missed breakfast. The breakfast was also an amazing buffet of meats, cheeses, cereal, breads, fruit, yogurt, etc. The presentation was even beautiful. Because we got a late start to the day, we decided to forgo going to a winery out of town and decided to go explore some of the historical sites in Cortona. We asked if we could get Albeano to drive us again, and David and Gulia set this up for us. Again, Albeano picked us up and during our drive made stops and explained the history of different sites. He drove us to the “Eremo De Le Celle”, stayed with us and gave us his own little tour of the property. We seriously felt like he was our grandpa. Afterwards he drove us to Santa Margherita and we agreed on a time for him to pick us up. When he dropped us back to the resort I wanted to cry at his kindness. He made sure we had his card and told us to call him if we ever come back. Once again as we were walking back to the cottage, we ran into David, who wanted to make sure we had eaten dinner and offered to set up a driver for the train station in the morning.

The morning we left, we had an early train and we stopped into the hotel to grab a quick breakfast. The buffet hadn’t opened yet but David had set up a table for us with a small mini buffet just for us. The food was just as good as the large buffet the morning before.

My last point: David, the owner of the hotel is absolutely wonderful. From the moment we arrived it felt like we had met an old friend. The girls working at the desk were also so friendly and kind and wonderful. The entire staff works very well as a team to run the property and to ensure their guests have a perfect stay. I have never been to a hotel with such exceptional service. This is something you just don’t get in the United States. David is always available and is there to greet you like somehow he knows when you leave and come back! We joked that he must keep a sensor on us somehow because he always popped out at just the right time. You can tell he wears many hats and he is an excellent host. You can tell he has great pride in his resort and has worked hard to make the resort what it is today.

If I could give this resort a 10 star rating I would! But definitely deserves 5 stars. I actually cried when we left but will hopefully be back someday. We will recommend this resort to anyone we know visiting Tuscany.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this luxurious hotel while on a biking trip through Umbria and Tuscany. The rooms were stunning and immaculate. The accommodations were over the top. The service was friendly and excellent. You should visit the restaurant if you can, as it is also first class. We would definitely return here if we are ever back in Cortona. It truly is a beautiful and unique property.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank dmbolles
Reviewed 6 November 2018

In the weeks leading up to our stay, the owner of the property, David Papi, did an incredible job helping us coordinate tours to wineries and day-trips throughout Tuscany, as well as transfers to and from the train station to the Relais. David's help, attentiveness, and attention to detail prior to our stay impressed us before we even left the USA for our trip.

We had an amazing stay for our 30th anniversary at La Corte dei Papi. From the moment we arrived, we were very impressed with the beauty of the property and the hospitality provided by David and his staff. During our stay, David did everything possible to make sure we were completely satisfied.

We had breakfast and dinner at his restaurant throughout our stay – the food and service were amazing. The accommodations, grounds and amenities are incredible. And the location couldn’t have been better for the memorable daily excursions that David personally arranged for us to explore Tuscany.

Thank you for the awesome hospitality David, we will be back!

Room tip: All of them that we saw are excellent
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2018

We recently had the absolute pleasure of staying at Relais La Corte dei Papi.
I had read reviews before we booked and the constant theme was that David Pappi - the owner/proprietor was an amazing host.
So when we arrived i had VERY high expectations. Well we were immediately greeted by David - who showed us to or upgraded room . He then helped settled us in for the night and made himself available for any questions , request , etc. and gave us a full tour of the property which in a word is spectacular.
We had dinner at his restaurant the first night - it was amazing. He played host , sommelier and bartender. The staff was efficient and professional.
We based ourselves in Cortona so that we could spend five days enjoying both Tuscany and Umbria. Each morning David was at the front ready with any help we needed for our days' travels - each evening he would greet us upon our return and suggest another great restaurant in town.When returning from dinner - no matter the time - he would be there to greet us with a coffee or an after dinner drink.
As i said we had VERY high expectations - and The Relais more than surpassed those.
David and his staff are the definition of professional hospitality.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple