“Website in urgent need of updating. Gives long outdated menu info.”
Review of The Griffin

The Griffin
Ranked #41 of 98 Restaurants in Cheadle
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A warm and friendly pub restaurant situated 5 minutes from Manchester Airport. Serving food 7 days a week with a fresh pizza oven and excellent carvery. Serving award winning Joseph Holt beers and a wide selection of wines and soft drinks. The griffin also has sky and BT sport and hosts many tribute acts and local bands
Reviewed 13 October 2018

Arranged to meet a friend here for lunch. Had checked the online menu in advance so was extremely disappointed to discover that the "offers" were not those stated on the "Griffin" website. Further, the meal I had chosen doesn't even appear on the current selection so opted for the cod and chips instead. Service was pleasant but the fish was cold in the middle and barely cooked. Ordered a pot of tea for one to finish and explained that I drink my tea extremely weak so would only need one tea bag. The tea eventually arrived in a single person pot (as expected) BUT, two tea bags in an inch of water and "stewed". Having removed the unwanted extra tea bag, I asked for more hot water, but the tea was still undrinkable. A disappointing return visit. We will meet elsewhere in future.

Nicola J, General Manager at The Griffin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Thank you for your review.

I have checked out official website on seeing your comments and all our menus and offers are correct.

Would you be kind enough to email me what website you viewed so I can see the relevant people to ensure it’s updated to thegriffin-hg@joseph-holt.com?

I apologise your meal and tea wasn’t up to standard as the cod is one of the most popular dishes on our menu.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Karen Laidlaw for making a 5 hour stay in Cheadle a comfortable, enjoyable experience. Having travelled up from the Wirral to drop my son & 3 friends at a local school for a 'media experience day' I intended to find a local pub to pass the time away whilst enjoying some refreshments and catching up on some work on my laptop. On arriving at the Griffin I noticed I'd left my wallet at home. I asked if it would be possible for my wife to give her credit card details over the phone in order to pay, however despite the best efforts of the staff the card machine couldn't accept this. Karen suggested she open a tab & for me & trust that I transfer the funds on my return home, which of course I did. I accept that this isn't normal protocol but an act of kindness understanding my predicament, which is so refreshing in a world where so many people would have taken the easy option to say 'no can't help sorry'. I'd certainly come back again, thank you.

Nicola J, General Manager at The Griffin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Thank you so much for leaving this review!! I am delighted that Kaz helped you out in a situation that has happened to the majority of us at some point!!

Myself and team griffin will always try to go beyond our customers expectations.

Hope to see you again soon!

Many thanks

Nikki ☺️

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

We have been coming to eat here a few times but the last two visits have proved disappointing .. Last Friday and yesterday there has been hardly any staff on. Yesterday one poor guy seemed to be trying to run it all himself , he was trying to take orders, serve the queue at the bar and then rushing to bring deserts out ... Then another girl came out who seemed to be new as she didn’t seem to know wat was going on. When our food finally came it wasn’t as hot as it normally is , I’m presuming it had been sat on the side waiting for someone to bring it out . Also if your on a lunch break you haven’t got time to be waiting to pay , then waiting ages to get your meal . I also don’t think it’s a good lunch time deal anymore , because there’s not much included in the two meals for 13.0O, and if your paying around 10.95 for a basic like fish and chips you could eat at far better restaurants with good service.

Nicola J, General Manager at The Griffin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Vanessa.

I apologise we were short staffed on your recent visit. Some of my team have been off with a flu bug that’s been going around. Unfortunately this time of year I loose some of my team to college and university and it does take some time to train new starters to be fully competent.

The nature of the business also means our rotas do reduce slightly to manage the drop in trade before the festive season. I will check the rotas to ensure there is enough staff at key times.

We use all our feedback to improve our service so thank you for bringing this to my attention

Many thanks

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Went Sunday 2/9. Phoned to book for a table of 4 but when we arrived the gentleman that served us was a bit confused as we were not in the book. Guy who too booming was Daniel.
We had 2 steak hanging kebabs , steak and ale pie and a pasta dish. All food was excellent and tasty and came out together. Will go again.

Nicola J, General Manager at The Griffin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Thank you for your kind review.

The hanging kebabs and homemade steak pie are firm favourites here at the griffin

I apologise your booking hadn’t been put in the diary, I shall discuss this with the team.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Called here for breakfast after staying in a local hotel, I have eaten here at lunchtime and it was always okay. However the breakfast service is given by staff whom are too tired to be bothered in give a good reception or decent food. After ordering the waitress forgot our coffee until 30 minutes later, then when the food did arrive it was dry, bland and tasteless. The girl that served the food stank of body odor and was hung over from the night before, very disappointed in our trip here.

Nicola J, General Manager at The Griffin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Hi Darren.

Thank you for bringing the issues to my attention by leaving a review. Although on duty Saturday and Sunday early mornings for breakfast I use this time to do office work before our busier lunch time service, although I feel it was myself who took your order while passing through the bar (if it was the Saturday) and as I went to make your coffee’s got called into the kitchen to deal with a maintenance issue which I highly apologised for as forgetting your drinks was not my intention and I am sincerely sorry.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and establish who served you. Would you kindly send me a contact number and convenient time to call you to thegriffin-hg@joseph-holt.com.