1,044 results
All reviews no lift top floor lovely grounds privilege room public rooms country house small lake lovely hotel lounge area first floor listed building buffet style sat nav restaurant manager breakfast and dinner flights of stairs staff were attentive
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed here for the night while working in the area and was very impressed. Room was clean, bright and comfortable but it was the grounds that delighted me. Sweeping views of lawns and mature trees rolling down to a lake. Very peaceful place for a rest. Breakfast was fine. Dinner was OK, but a little expensive. Good location for Gloucester - just a few minutes drive - and exploring the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven1961
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here back in July and strangely got put in the same room on this visit in October. The bed was still comfortable and the extractor fan still stayed on constantly. The staff were still friendly.... Would stay there again, but would ask for a different room for a change.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicolae335
Reviewed 10 October 2018

Really sorry to report that we ended up cancelling this booking and moving to the Cheltenham hotel, thanks to your booking helpdesk. The room was full of live flies and ladybirds, which apparently find their way into the room when the sun is on the wall outside and it is warm. The reception desk was not able to really assist, although she did arrange for someone to remove the dead flies and put some fly spray in the room. When we returned to the room half an hour later, there were loads of dead flies and still quite a number of live ladybirds. Plus an overwhelming smell of fly spray. As we returned from our walk there was another couple complaining about the flies. This is the first occasion when a Mercure hotel has not been brilliant, and we have stayed in many.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank nigelpope
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night and as it turned out, thank goodness. The hotel is in a nice position and the welcome was excellent. The room was of a good size, and very clean. However, the room, 446, was on the top floor and there is no lift. Carrying suitcases up the stairs was no fun at all.
We had dinner and have to say that the food and the service was very good. The same could be said for breakfast the following morning.
The problem lay with the room. It was situated at the top of the stairs and the bathroom was adjacent to them. This m ant that we were kept awake most of the night by people using the very creaky stairs. We could hear every step all the way up and it was awful.
On check out, I mentioned to the receptionist what had happened and told her that in my opinion the room was only fit for purpose as a linen store or similar because of the disturbance by people using the stairs. Her response was that 'She would feed this back to the management'. My response to this was that they should already know it because I couldn't possibly have been the first to complain about it. She repeated the phrase and I left because I didn't want to cause a scene. My advice therefore is that if you stay at this hotel and are offered Room 446, turn it down.
A real shame because everything else was fine.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thecoolehouse
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

I would book a premier inn over this poor hotel. Booked for a local wedding with early check in so we could change for the wedding- the room was not ready! No apology at all... it just wasn’t ready. We had been kept waiting while the reception person was being flustered and seemed unable to cope with the pressure of multiple arrivals and was definitely understaffed. The early book in was one of the main reasons to book here! Conveniently a friend’s room (not early booking) was, so I managed to change. Still no room at 12 when we left for the wedding. No offer to move case - which I had to carry myself up 3 flights of stairs despite having lymphodema in my arm - no offer to help.

We arrived back at about 1 in the morning and finally got our key, however my friends key wasnt working- it’s your fault you put it next to your phone.. rubbish! She had 2 bags that day- Phone in glamorous wedding bag- key in other. There were another 5 couples with keys not working! 15 minutes later receptionist unable to sort room key- he came out with a master key and went off with 3 couples- no Organization of who was where etc. Chaos in reception with one guest answering the reception phone telling guests there was no one there...another member of staff went to the bar to serve customers and said it wasn’t his problem. The reception smelt of damp carpet and was very unpleasant. Eventually he returned and after again saying we can’t get in the room he took us- no checks on who we were- We could of been anyone! There was a drink spilt outside the room and up the door- I got to my room with my case at 2am!

In the morning I went to reception- again no one there.. I made a flippant comment about is there ever anyone there.. a member of staff said- (not receptionist or willing to help) said do you see that light that’s a camera we know you’re here... I was livid but held my tongue.

Breakfast was adequate but nothing fantastic and not worth the £32 for 2- coffee was bitter and of poor quality as was jam. No one asked if everything was ok.

I feel they were understaffed and staff badly trained as were unable to deal with problems. No WiFi in rooms. No information given, ie breakfast times.. where it was- nothing said about facilities- no help with luggage when no lift- blame the guest seemed to be the attitude- I shall not return to a mecure hotel!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family