“Simply Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Windsor, Canada
“Simply Perfect”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Wow! Everything from start to finish has been amazing. Never disappointed. Friendly and fun staff. Beautiful grounds and beach. So Clean and always smelling so bliss. From the moment we arrived at the doors in the lobby staff was right there greeting and tending to every need.
I am amazed everyday by the service.
The Spa is so enjoyable. The Aqua theropy was fun and very enjoyable. Would visit and do the couples spa again. It was my husbands first experience and he loved it.
The staff was so wonderful in helping us plan our day trip. organized and on time. Always making us feel special.
I fear the flocks of people to come, for I wish to return many times and almost want this place to be kept a secret.

Room Tip: We had the junior suite with the ocean view in the main building and it was perfect. Could not have...
1 Thank Angel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
East Rutherford, NJ
Reviewed 28 March 2012

If you are looking to party, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to relax and de-stress this is it. I went with 2 other friends for a relaxing few days away. It is a small resort. Though it may look bigger in picutres as they have built condos nextdoor. There are only 3 dining options and not very many activities. It is north of Cancun and kind of in the middle of nowhere.

I had never been to an all inclusive resort before and I didn't have high expectations for the food, but the food at the Beloved is excellent. The dining rooms focused on local specialties, but unfortunately dumbed down the spice for the gringos. The room was fantastic. We had upgraded for a terrace corner room. We had our an indoor jacuzzi and a private outdoor hottub and shower. There were 3 double sized sun beds. We could have invited 50 friends over for cocktails and still had room on the deck/terrace. The spa was the best I've ever been to (book Adrian). I would go to this resort again just to go to the spa.

The only negatives I can say are that I think we were the only friend group there. It was all couples and families. Though the ages of vacationers varied from late 20s to 60's. There weren't many children, but more than expected. I would not bring children here. It was too upscale and, I would think, boring for a child. Surprisingly there was a children's pool area and no one was ever there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WL1066
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The Beloved is a great resort if your goal is to relax and do as little as possible during your trip. They make is so easy to just sit around and do absolutely nothing. There are no annoying shows, people pestering you for excursions or vendors trying to sell you junk. If you’re looking for an excursion the ferry to Isla Mujeres is only a couple minutes away.

There are a few things the hotel could improve. I found the food in the restaurants to be consistently good with a little great and some occasional poor. I enjoy a good meal so I was moderately disappointed that the restaurant dinners were only “good”. The breakfast was good but unusual. It is unlike anything you’re likely to find in Canada but tasty. There was no shortage of fruit and pastry options along with an interesting hot section that changed every day. If you don’t like what they have at the buffet they will make you anything you like. I ordered a few custom omelets and sides of bacon during our stay. Only the Isla Grill is open for lunch but you can order food poolside or down on the beach.

For dinner each restaurant is closed for one night a week so there will be nights where you only have two options. We started each evening with sushi in the lounge. The sushi is what I would expect for sushi in Mexico with nigiri and sashimi but they’ll make you any roll you can describe if it’s not on their menu. Room service was better than most hotels back home. The food was always hot like it had just come off the stove. Depending on the time of day it can be there 5 minutes or half an hour but it was always delicious.

The best part of the resort is the staff. They are incredibly friendly and will bend over backwards to make you happy. A couple times we asked for things on a whim that we didn’t expect them to be able to do for us and they delivered each time. Sometimes it took a while to get service but I would chalk that up to mismanagement and disorganization. The staff never seem like expect tips but I always felt like I wanted to give them more because they were so good to us.

They do not cheap out on the drinks. They make them strong and they bring you plenty. We did our best to use up the mini-bar every day and they only asked us if we wanted more than what they typically stock it with. Ours was stocked with a couple Coronas, plenty of soda, vodka, rum and rye plus as much water as they could cram in. There was also so Bud and Bud Light but who drinks that? There was also a couple bags of chips, chocolate bars, cookies, M&Ms and candies every day.

The rooms have sensors so the staff know if its empty or not and housekeeping won’t even go in the room if you’re in it unless you leave your “please clean” card on the door. We had the two story beach front casita and they cleaned it top to bottom every day, even leaving us fresh towels for the rooftop plunge pool. The turndown service was fantastic as well. It’s nice returning from dinner and drinks to a dimmly lit room with the bed turned down and a little scent pouch between the pillows.

The shower in the room was amazing. Huge with a bench. Along with a rainforest shower head or body spray option that could be used at the same time as a detachable wand for cleaning the back or under-carriage. The toilet doesn’t have a real door though. It’s a frosted glass door similar to a shower door. If you’re super keen on doing your business in private you might not like that feature.

Our friends had the beach front casita with plunge pool right below us and I’m not sure which room I liked more. The rooms themselves are almost identical except the two story one loses a little space to the stairs to the rooftop. The rooftop plunge pool wasn’t much fun. It wasn’t a hot tub and it was too small to splash around in so it was kind of useless for anything more than a refreshing dunk. The views from the rooftop are great and we did enjoy some late afternoon naps on the bed up there but you’ll never hear the phone or a knock at the door. The ground floor plunge pool is big enough to splash around in but not big enough to “swim” in.

The beach is great but the water only gets chest deep at the end of the swimming area. It gets darker which appeared to be a drop off but was actually just seagrass at the bottom. We encountered a few pieces of broken glass in the sand on the beach though and there seemed to be a lot of small sticks in the sand to stick you in the bottom of the foot with each step.

There were more kids at the resort than we had expected. As a small group of adults we would have prefered less children but they didn’t annoy us as much as some of the other adults. It is a small resort so you will be seeing the same people over and over again.

We had a great relaxing time reading on the beach or by the pool. We ate a lot, drank even more and probably erased a few months of stress. If that’s what you’re looking for I’d recommend The Beloved. If you want to party or have an adventure you would probably enjoy yourself more somewhere else.

6 Thank wiscad
Northbrook
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The highlight of our stay was our beautiful room and bathroom. The room is done in all white and cream - very modern. The bathroom is also very contemporary in style - the shower could fit multiple people. Be warned that the shower door is clear glass if you are at all modest. This is the first hotel in Mexico that we have stayed in that had instant hot water and toilets that flushed on the first try. The toiletries are by Bulgari - very top draw. The 3 restaurants are good - not great. The hotel is very quiet - there is music near the sushi bar from 6-7:30 with another group from 8:00-10:00. That's it. This is a hotel that allows children and I must admit when I am on vacation I don't little children around me. There were 2 weddings during our stay - each of them took over a restaurant on different nights. This limited our choice as to where to eat dinner. The resort is very small. The staff is wonderful - couldn't do enough for you. There were clouds and strong winds over the hotel for 4 out of the 5 days we were there. We were wrapped in towels and shirts while trying to sit at the pool. We never went in the water (pool or ocean). There was no place to go - even in the resort. No bar was open in the lobby and no place to play cards indoors. In spite of the lovely room and staff I'm not sure I would go back.

4 Thank TERRI SCHWARTZ
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Let's start with the room. Very rarely you find the actual room to be better than the images you see on the hotel's website, but in this case, it's absolutely true. We stayed at one of Tierna's 2 Story Beachfront Casita. The room was spotless, amazing bathroon, great shower, huge bed, nice jacuzzi in the corner, walk-in-closet, beautiful terrace for breakfast or a nap, and upstairs, absolute paradise on earth. Our own heated plunge pool with a nice lounging bed. Room temperature, privacy, lighting, everything was perfect.
The pool by the beach is very nice, with comfortable sun-beds and great water temperature. Restaurants are nice and ood is good quality (not Michelin star, but good), and Lupita Lounge is so chill, you want to spend the night there.
All the staff is very nice and helpful (we're from Spain so obviously speak the language). We went for a massage at the spa and it was delightful, the hidro-therapy course "Aqua Viva" was very pleasant as well, and price was reasonable.
We will definitely be coming back, the place is so relaxing, the room so amazing, that you simply forget about your hectic life. This is true luxury.
There is one negative and one watch-out though. The negative is the responsiveness/accuracy of Room Service when dispatching their orders. As soon as we arrived (evening) we asked them to bring us some pillows. We had to chase them the following morning. We ordered room-service breakfast every morning, and lunch on a couple of ocassions. I can safely said that NEVER was the order complete/right. Sometimes cutlery missing, sometimes salt/pepper, wrong toppings on pizza, and so on. Also we had to call for the room to be made a couple of days. Don't get me wrong, we would still come back, but this is not acceptable for a place like this. The manager very kindly called us to apologise, and I'm sure actions will be put in place. To compensate us, he sent us a bowl of fruit (this was quite poor, given we could get that at any given time, we were expecting something like a couple of massages at the spa or something more meaningful that some fruit)
The watch-out is, this is a family hotel. There were many many kids running around, in the pool (some pouring drinks in the pool whilst their parents paid no attention whatsoever), etc. When we return, because we will definitely return, we'll probably try the Excellence next door, which I think is owned by the same people, but is adults-only. All in all this definitely enters my Top 3 best hotel experiences ever. This place is amazing

Room Tip: Tierna 3 is really nice, good views, great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14.5 km away
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!