“Worth the trip!”

The Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The beers made at this abbey are some of the best ranked beers in the world and I couldn't agree more! We didn't get to see much of the brewery, but were able to enjoy the beer at the restaurant next door. They have a small exhibit at the rear of the restaurant about the life of the monks at the Abbey. The beer is only sold by the case ( By reservation-one per car/per license/per 60 days) We didn't have a reservation, but were still able to purchase two 3 packs to enjoy at home. If you are in the area make a quick stop in for lunch and a drink.

All reviews
"bread"
"car"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is my second visit in the last 12 months. I tried all the 3 beers (blonde, 8 and 12), they are just great with my personal preference going to the Westvleteren 12. Having tried all other Trappist beers (and other Belgian beers) I cannot say the 12 is the best in the world, it is just a fantastic, excellent beer on par with some of the best beers I have ever tasted.
I found the food (mainly open sandwiches, croque monsieurs, cakes and ice creams) at the restaurant to be very good as well. The sandwich with ham (similar to Ardennes ham) was excellent, the abbey pate' and cheese are also very good, the chicken in beer jelly was also nice. We also tried all the cakes, my favourite was the cinnamon & syrup one with the almond one a close second. Apple tart was good but nothing new.

1  Thank LBJohnston
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We rented bikes and headed out there only to find out that the cafe is closed on Thursday and Friday though we had checked the website when planning our trip.

You can rent bikes from the Hotel Belforth in Poperinge for 10E for the day. It's a beautiful and easy bike ride to the abbey.

1  Thank trickytricky
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I made a side trip to Westvleteren during my short stay in Belgium, because I had to try the only 100pt/100pt beer in the world! Unfortunately, I was unable to tour the Abbey... Luckily, there is a restaurant right across the street called In De Vrede that serves all 3 beers. Plus, there was a gift shop where I was able to purchase a gift box filled with 2 beer glasses, and 1 bottle of the famous beer (Westvleteren Bruin 12). The restaurant is fantastic; super clean and spacious. There is even a nice patio area. I was there for about 4 hours. I had all 3 beers, and 2 sandwiches - I really loved my pineapple, ham, and cheese sandwich. So yummy! I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Belgium. I was very limited in my means of transportation. I took the train to Poperinge, and rented a bike from a hotel (Hotel Belfort) and rode about 3 miles to Westvleteren. Well worth the trip! One of the highlights of my time there.

2  Thank Yohsephina