We stayed at the Phulin in January for 11 nights with a 100% prepaid and very pricey tour package, so when we got to the hotel and saw what it actually looked like, we had no choice but to stay there. The moment we walked into our studio-room, we felt not only shock and disgust, but also cheated by our travel-agent, and by the hotel's pics - it was NOTHING like it was advertised to us by both parties. So without any lyrical preludes, I'll just go through all the things that made our stay disappointing and uncomfotable.
1) ROOMS - as I said we had originally booked a studio, thinking that it would have more space and comfort. In reality we were able to stay there for only 1 night, because it was simply terrible in all respects: it had a old, stale smell of a space unused for a while + there was a definite plumbing stink about it. The already small rooms, felt even more claustrophobic because of really LOW ceilings, there was no balcony, definitely no view - another building of the hotel was a mere 2-3 meters away from our bedroom window, horrible sound isolation - we could hear water moving in the pipes, our neighbors flushing their toilet, their speaking. BOTH SINKS DID NOT WORK - the bathroom one immediately backed up and flooded the floor. The bathtub still had past visitors' hair on it, the shower looked unclean. The utensils that the hotel provided were not washed well - there werу definite stains of coffee or whatnot. We complained and after we'd been given a choice of another studio or a deluxe room, we chose the deluxe.
Ironically, though it costed less, the room was better - bigger, brighter, had a balcony with a pool-view , the same size kichenette with a microwave, a nice fridge and a toaster. Definitely better, but this room still sported the same badly painted cracked floors, an old cracked and unclean bathtub, so we always took showers with our flip-flops on.
2) BEDS &SHEETS&SLEEP: our bed was hardly queen-size, the mattress was NOT comfortable - we had backaches like an older couple. Sheets were dated, in their prime they were probably white, had holes in them, and what was worse the sheets were almost always damp. Now, I understand that Thailand has high humidity, but we had stayed at Marina Phuket, and there was never this problem. Also, there were these wind chimes by the pool - a part of the Thai decor - when windy, even a sturdy sleeper will have a problem tuning the constant ringing out.
3) LOCATION - about a 15-minute walk through town to the beach, unless you are comfortable to cut through Movenpick grounds and guards.
4) No TERRITORY - this hotel is located on the road, there is no place to lounge: you have to go outside to find a place to relax other than your room.
5) SMELL - as you walk through the hotel there is always a smell of plumbing mixed with garbage fumes. This smell is omnipresent - we felt it in our bathroom regularly.
6) POOL - small, not nearly enough loungers, water really really cold! Towels were old faded.
7) Room Cleaning - almost satisfactory, but the floor was never washed, we had the misfortune to look under the bed - I dropped my tiger balm - it looked like it was never swept - dust-bunnies, dried insects...
8) INTERNET - not free and very slow!!! you have to buy a card at reception (100 baht for 70 minutes, 200 baht for 150 minutes).
9) STAFF - friendly, but only 3 of the people speak English.
10) BREAKFAST - artificial juices, variety is not bad, though not all edible. Scrambled eggs and fruit are good though. A fair number of flies present at all times.
11) RECOMMEND - for a good price-quality ratio check out "Red Onion" - they 1/2 portions, which are excellent for lunch. "Pappaya" - a little more expensive, but very good food, and friendly English-speaking staff.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Phulin Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phulin Hotel Karon
- Phulin Resort Karon
- Phulin Resort Phuket/Karon