The Slate
USD 95
USD 58
USD 56
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 63/night.

USD 129
USD 62
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Naiyang Discovery Beach Resort(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
USD 36
USD 25
Rimlay Bungalow(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
USD 46
USD 41
  • Beachfront
Ideo Phuket Guesthouse(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
USD 28
USD 26
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 29/night.

Chez Charly Bungalow(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
USD 49
USD 30
Pen Siri House(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
USD 36
USD 28
Priceline
USD 136
3,942 results
All reviewstin mineblack gingerindigo pearladult poolsfamily poold buk suitebeach clubtin miningcoqoon spapearl bed suiteswim up barmoo's kitchencooking classtongkah tin syndicateindustrial designtennis courtsour honeymoon
Reviewed 3 October 2016

This was a return visit to the now Slate. We first visited when it was the Pearl Indigo over 6 years ago. Since then we have visited many other resorts in Phuket and have a very good idea of what luxury resorts have to offer in this part of Thailand.

We were excited to return since we had read many good reviews here and since it had been so long since our last visit. We originally booked a prepaid 3 night stay, but that changed to a 6 night prepaid stay for reasons stated below.

We contacted the hotel 5 months before our visit and booking to inquire about providing meals for my wife that has an extensive list of food allergies. We eventually got to communicate with the Head Chef who assured us that it would be no problem and that she would be taken care of during our stay. Also, a hotel staff member had stated that they would translate my wife's allergy list into Thai, so that she could take it around the resort and Thailand. Wow, that was above and beyond anything we were hoping for during our short stay(that never happened). With all this good response we added another 3 nights to our stay. A couple of weeks out I decided to contact the Chef to make sure that they would have food on hand for our now 6 nights. I was told they would be ready, but not given any specific details. I decided to contact the GM which you see many of his replies here on Trip Advisor. He assured me that he was aware of our visit and all would be ready.

Since there was an official name change occurring just weeks before our arrival I asked the front desk if there would be any construction or closures in the resort. I was told "None". This turned out to be totally false! You could hear concrete drilling from our balcony and pool. And you could actually hear construction noise at all three pools!!! Plus, there were several closures Rivet & Rebar and two other venues.

We booked a Pearl bedroom suite with a request that it be a quiet room. There are seven "Blocks" of buildings in the back of the resort that surround two pools. One being the swim up "Bar Pool". The front desk was proud to say they put us in the same room as our first visit. This turned out to be not so good. They totally ignored our "Quiet room" request as it overlooked the Pool with the swim up bar. They have music blaring from about 10am till 6pm. It is loud enough to be heard inside your room with the doors closed. It reminded me of a cheap party beach hotel. During the second day which was a day of rain they still had the music blaring. So I requested a room in a block of rooms down by the other pool. I was told that I could move in 2 days, that would be half the stay. The music is repeated on a loop and if you don't like the music that is too bad as you have to basically leave your room to escape it. Even when they said they turned it down, you could still hear it inside your room. Ridiculous! Not a Luxury 5 star resort's style.

On our first night we went to the beautiful "Black Ginger" Thai restaurant. This is were we realized that the food for my wife and even myself off the menu was going to be a huge disappointment. Even after meeting one of the Chef's upon our arrival and being assured again that all would be taken care of we met another Chef for the Black Ginger and was told she was Award winning. They had no meat or fish for my wife and gave her about two cups of steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower with no spice for over $10 US dollars. The Chefs or this resort had not prepared for my wife's arrival what so ever, contrary to what they had promised. The next day this Chef said she was going to the local market and would pick up food for my wife. So needless to say The Slate totally Failed in regards to my wife's food allergies even with 5 months notice!!!

Not only did the resort fail on my wife's issue, but me ordering food at the Black Ginger as it came out only warm, not hot. I also ate at the snooker hall Tongkah Tin Syndicate which I ordered a simple Hamburger which was plain bad. Breakfast was nicely done up but as far as other resorts in this area of this class, it was below average especially compared to the Renaissance Marriott which has an impressive breakfast buffet.

A few other negatives about this now aging resort is that the Pearl bedroom Suites have bathtubs on the balcony. Once upon a time there were blinds that could be lowered for privacy for yourself and others that might not want to see a naked person taking a bath. Those blinds no longer exist, but the old mounts do(see pic) I was told that you could order a folding blind, but otherwise the tub was useless. Unless you were the Gentleman or should I say "Not-so-Gentleman" that decided to parade around on his balcony naked as his tub filled with water. I was glad the children were not on this trip, so parents beware of this possible situation.

Speaking of children. The gym staff was underwhelming indifferent. Sometimes they would open the sliding door for guests and sometimes not. Sometimes they would give you a bottle of water with a towel, sometimes not. But when some irresponsible parents let their three young kids play around on the Cardio equipment while there were several adults trying to actually get a work-out was unacceptable and actually quite dangerous. As one child was walking on the treadmill barefoot, while one played on the rowing machine and the last one crawled behind my treadmill screaming at the top of its lungs. Hours are limiting as well, need to open earlier or how about 24 hours. Good job Gym staff!

The staff at the resort were friendly for the most part, however there were a few standouts during our stay. The ladies at breakfast were friendly and great. The cook in the morning that prepared my wife's meals was great and took pride in preparing the same thing for our short stay. "Aom" was appointed to help my wife with her meals at different venues, great attitude and always there, but unfortunately she wasn't the Chef.

Instead of packing up to change rooms we packed our bags and left 3 days early losing our money on the prepaid stay. The Slate experience is why I don't usually prepay stays, even though I can't remember a time recently that I had to leave a resort to save my vacation. But that was the case with the Slate. We went down the beach to spend our last 3 nights at the Marriott Nai Yang and that experience really showed how bad the Slate was in regards to Staff, Food and room quality (see that review Nai Yang Marriott).

This resort was a complete waste of our valuable time and literally, MONEY. They didn't provide what they stated they would for my wife with food allergies. It would have been simple to say you're not interested or not capable of cooking for a person with food allergies, instead of falsely misrepresenting that you were willing and capable. It is unacceptable that this resort posed and promised to take care of my wife which did not happen. But when we left and went to another resort which turned out to be a vastly superior resort which had NO notice of my wife's food allergies, they provided a gourmet creative meal within hours of arrival, something that was absent at The Slate.

In retrospect, I should have known that this resort is all talk and no action, when "Paul" the GM who comments often on TA said he looked forward to greeting us to his resort, but when we arrived and he was in the lobby that did not happen and it that turned out to set the precedence for our entire stay. Actually, we had no one contact us even though we were unhappy enough with the resort to leave 3 days early, forfeiting 3 days of prepaid stay.

It's unfortunate we prepaid and had to leave early to salvage our vacation, because the Slate doesn't deserve that money!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Tkids
PaulJordaan, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Dear 'Tkids',

I'm very sorry to hear that your stay with us had not turned-out as intended - we are taking into consideration the points you have brought up so we can improve in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Initially the dark decor was a little depressing but the resort grew on me. The rooms were fantastic and the breakfast was superb; all staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Pla at the pool. The Black Ginger on our last night was as good as any top quality restaurant. Even the outside loos offer a unique experience. However, I was surprised how expensive the classes at the gym were, I would certainly have expected them to be free. Advertising of happy hour locations was poor, it was only at the family pool and I had no reason to go the family pool. Although the hotel was renamed as 'The Slate' two months ago none of the branding has been changed, even the sign at the entrance to the hotel still says 'Indigo Pearl'.

Top tips
- the laundry immediately outside the rear entrance of the hotel was excellent, avoid paying the hotel prices.
- A&M massage is brilliant and a fraction of the hotel rates
- Try La Dolce Italian - Tommy is a great source of information
- definitely go to Phuket Town market on Saturday/Sunday evenings

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katefs78

Dear Kate,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort - regarding our branding, we're still in a soft-launch phase of sorts where we'll be replacing branded items as existing stocks finish, and so we will be doing a grander launch some time in November. Regarding our Fitness activities pricing, we will take your thoughts into consideration and potentially make revisions in the future. As for the happy hours, the times and locations are published in our weekly activities sheet (part of our resort newspaper), provided in every guest room. Our apologies if the format or placement was confusing.

Aside from the above points, we're happy to hear that your stay was enjoyed and that our staff were friendly as always - we'll certainly let Pla know how lovely she was. Hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

5 star hotel
Enjoyed every minute
Didnt have enough time to enjoy all ..
Even in low season is was just perfect
Beautiful hotel- everything is being taking care off
Luxury at his best
Amazing service.
Will come back for sure

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
PaulJordaan, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Dear Dana,

Thank you for the kind words and appreciation - we can't wait to see you again, no matter which season!

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, and we were amazed with the hotel atmosphere. The ecletic designs and architecture can be found everywhere from the lobby to the rooms. The hotel complex is big, but the room is huge, more than enough for a family with 2 small kids. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Tips:
- the hotel is located far from other tourist attractions, so it'll be more convenient to have own transport (e.g. rental car, etc. ).
- the beach outside the hotel better than Patong Beach, and less crowded.
- please also check some local restaurants outside the hotel, near the beach.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank merlion121

Dear Merlion,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our resort - we ourselves are quite proud of the unique design and aesthetic, and we're very pleased that you appreciate it as well, along with the vast space and our staff's service and friendliness.

We sincerely hope that we'll see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

We are just on our final evening here after a fantastic week at The Slate. We came here looking for a relaxing break and it has certainly delivered! Fantastic food, where we were well looked after by Sue and the team, delivering faultless service and always with a smile; Excellent cocktails - a special mention to Kwan at the pool bar, who, even when it was pouring down with rain managed to keep us entertained! There really are no faults I can find with the place in honesty except the fact it is a 14 hour flight away for us!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your review, and for letting us know how much Sue and Kwan took care of you. We do our best to ensure service and friendliness go hand-in-hand, and it's always great to hear of our own shining examples.

We certainly hope we get to welcome you back in the future, with less rain and a perhaps strong tail-wind to make the flight over even faster!