New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“True Northern Hospitality!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auld Reekie Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gowganda
Auld Reekie Lodge
Burlington, Canada
“True Northern Hospitality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

I recently returned from a 5-day “all inclusive” fishing trip to Auld Reekie Lodge – I cannot wait to go back again! Urs and Diane Brunner are two of the most friendly, genuine people I have ever met. Their primary mission is to make you feel welcome, and to ensure you are completely comfortable. Within minutes of meeting them, you feel like you have known them for years.

Diane warmly greeted me when I arrived and promptly had me settled in my cottage. I met Urs a couple of hours later, when he was preparing the weekly fish fry under the pine trees. What a feast… do not miss it! (Just remind Diane to serve the tomatoes – otherwise you will see more tomatoes on next night’s salad than you have ever seen!)

I found the accommodations to be clean, comfortable, and more than adequate. The restaurant/lounge was very warm and inviting, the boats and motors were safe and reliable, and the meals were exceptional! Breakfast and dinner in the restaurant were served in huge portions and were always delicious. Make sure you leave some room for Diane’s desserts! I also found the flexible seating times to be a bonus, compared to other lodges I have stayed at.

Sincere thanks, Urs and Diane, for being such fantastic hosts, and for an unforgettable five days in the splendor of the north country!

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Easton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Went there with a friend to Bear Hunt... First Bear Hunt for both of us... Not knowing what to expect we were prepared for anything... "Anything" was not what we got... Upon arrival we were greeted by Diane and from there the trip just got better and better... Diane and Urs are two of the best people I have met in my 60 years living... I love them both... They live right at the lodge with their four GREAT kids... Even though I did not harvest a bear I had a great, great time... I will go back... I'm hoping to make the trip again next year... Gary

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

Home Away from Home.

My colleagues and I often work away from home most recently for 3 months this spring and summer. I had a choice of where to book and I chose Auld Reekie Lodge. We are all glad I did.

We primarily stayed in a fully equipped cabin with tons of room, and an amazing view. Clean comfortable beds with ceiling fans in every room. We don’t normally get access to satellite TV and internet when working in the field but these free amenities made us feel guilty (but only for a brief while).

Whether it is breakfast or dinner, the food was excellent. Very good quality and big portions too. The fully-licensed restaurant is very comfortable and seats quite a few people. I can just imagine the wood stove going in the winter. Our top five restaurant highlights were: 1) Urs’ homemade salad dressing – if you try it you’ll understand; 2) the Wednesday night fish fry brought people from far and wide – walleye, baked beans, potatoes cooked over a campfire with all the fixin’s; 3) Urs’ schnitzel; 4) breakfast – anything and everything; and 5) when we had very long days and the restaurant was closed, our meals were wrapped up and waiting for us – thanks Diane.

The lodge owners, Urs and Diane, are down to earth, genuinely and friendly people. From the beginning they made us feel welcome to their home away from home.

Pros
Great breakfasts and dinners served every day.
Next to the highway and they sell gas too.
Scenery.
Free satellite TV and internet.
The price was more than fair.

Cons
They refuse to give the recipe for the salad dressing.
Scenery and clean, refreshing lake water made some of my colleagues always want “just another 15 minutes” on the dock before dinner.
The huge hot tub is only open during snowmobile season.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

My two teenage boys and I just returned from four days on AP plan at Auld Reekie Lodge. We had a ball. Fishing was fantastic. So good in fact, that my oldest son...once the most difficult kid in the world to get fishing...is now a hardcore enthusiast. Thank you Auld Reekie. Urs and Diane Brunner , owners and operators are simply superb hosts. Accomodations are spacious, relaxed, clean and comfortable. You will sleep like the dead on this peaceful lake. The food is off the charts and I dare you to clean your plate. Urs's portions are Viking sized and neither me nor my very tall teenage children were ever able to finish a dinner. Incredible. The boat and motor we were outfitted with were top notch as well. A brand spanking new, almost silent 25hp electric start Merc zipped us around without a care. Thanks to Morgan as well for his very helpful and informative guiding service and knowledge of the lake and surrounding fisheries.
I would recommend a stay at Auld Reekie in a heartbeat. Whether you want to go hardcore fishing all day or simply sit on the deck and listen to the loons, the option is yours. You'd be hardpressed to find kinder more accomodating folks than the Brunners. Just as an addendum....this was my second trip to the Lodge. Last year, mid way through our five day stay last summer, my Dad had some health issues and we had to cut our stay short. Certainly not the fault or responsibility of the Lodge, but Urs and Diane sent me a very generous gift certificate to more than make up for the lost days of our trip. That's the kind of rare hospitality and thoughtfulness that makes this place so special. Thanks once more Urs and Diane. See you next season.

Room Tip: Love the cabins. Big and comfy.