“Wild Animals Held Captive! Confined to Cages. Disgusted.”
Review of Kata Country House

Kata Country House
Ranked #35 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The first morning after arrival I heard extremely loud bird calls and went to the rear of the hotel to discover approximately 100 birds in cages, 1 sea eagle, 1 dog, and to my utter disbelief 2 Jackals. The Sea Eagle and the Jackals are of great concern to me because of the size of the cages. Both cages are ridiculously small for these creatures. The Jackals cage was dirty, with no food or water. I spoke with Title, a front manager, who told me to "Forget about it and go to the beach." He also told me that I should "go somewhere else, Bangkok, and help the dogs there". He was rude and unhelpful. I tried to speak with other staff, but he did not want this. I was told by Title that the Jackals have been there 4 months and then later he told me 6 months. He said that his boss, the owner of the hotel, rescued them from someone who was not treating them properly. He plans to do something with these Jackals, what I don't know. They are still wild and this is the best time to set them free, otherwise they will need rehabilitation in the future. These animals should not live their entire existence in a small confine, unable to walk or run, with only rice and a bit of water in the evening. I have tried to find an organization here to help, but am having no luck. PLEASE SPEAK with Management if you are there. If you care about the establishments you visit and their ethics, this is NOT a place to stay. Imprisoning wild animals is ABUSIVE. Would you like to live out your entire existence in a small cage????

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here, and if you must then choose one in the rear of the hotel so that you w...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Michelle22504
There are newer reviews for Kata Country House

Reviewed 26 November 2011

As we were arriving very late I email and ask to be picked up from the airport. For 900baht a taxi was arranged for us.It was really nice to know it was a taxi from the hotel, as I was traveling with my son who has a disability. We were very warmly greeted at the hotel by the night Gard. The room was upstairs this was a little unsafe for my son, but the very next morning we were given a lovely down stairs room. The staff were so helpful and nice nothing was to much trouble. Our room was cleaned every day 2 bottles of water every day. The food was very good. We felt safe and secure. The whole complex was very clean and tide, swimming pools were very nice and clean. Our whole holiday at Kata Country House was Excellent and we are definitely going to stay there again. Very short walk to the beach.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with your room, they will do there best to get you a new room. We liked the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights. We throughly enjoyed our stay. The room was clean, tidy and well appointed overlooking the small pool. The breakfast had variety and plentiful. The staff pleasant and helpful considering they work such long hours that most westeners wouldn't cope with. Great location in the middle of Kata, close to everything and set back from the road, the rooms were quiet. Do watch out for the blood thirsty mossies at night and in your room.Spray your room before you go out at night.
We have been to Thailand 3 times and found this hotel the best value for money.
To all the negative commenting people, put it in perspective, it's Thailand.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We found this place on our last trip to Thailand and went back for a couple of nights either side of our trip to Koh Phangan. This is one of the cheaper hotels on Kata Beach and in my opinion a good deal. The rooms are always neat and tidy, staff are very friendly and very accommodating to the needs of their customers. The other benefit for us is the locked draws at reception for your valuables while you go off to the beach for the day. We like to take off on bikes and explore through the day and this location is close enough to both Patong (if that is your thing) or Nai Harn (one of the nicer beaches in Phuket). It is true that this hotel is not a five star resort but the rooms are cleaned daily and the beds both times we have stayed have been comfortable. We did have a problem with the aircon not regulating but when we told the staff they quickly found us another room... ask and you will receive. As for the mosquitos, it is hard to avoid them anywhere in the tropics. I have seen staff spraying early in the morning, so it isn't a case of them not trying. I would recommend to stay closer to the pool area or the front of the hotel as there is a pond out the back which would attract more mosquitos. We bought coils from the 7eleven next door for when we were sitting outside our rooms having a few beverages with other friends and this helped a lot.
For the price you are paying and the location you are staying at this is a nice, quiet place to unwind after a day on the beach. We will no doubt be back there next year when we stop over to go to the islands.

Room Tip: Poolside or closer to the reception is recommended to avoid mosquitos.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kirstyfromsydney
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Very popular with mosquitos and cockroaches but I didnt care for it much, neither I suspect will you.

Ignore what you read on the hotel website. It is largely fiction. The descriptions do not bear comparison with the reality. Perhaps there is benefit in the translation, if country style bungalow means the same as dingy run down old shack in the Thai language. Then again they also promote themselves as convenient for Patong which actually involves a 25 dollar taxi fare so maybe its all just deliberately misleading.

Substatial charge for internet which works only occasionally and in 20 second bursts at best The aircon made more noise than the 747 i arrived on an there was no fan. I come from England so my expctations aren't that high but even I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful the food terrible.

I booked for four nights but stayed reluctantly for one. If I ever go back I will need two rooms, one for me and another to stable the wild horses that dragged me there.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Kata Poolside Resort
Kata Poolside Resort
#40 of 56 in Kata Beach

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Kata Beach

Been to Kata Country House? Share your experiences!