“Ok trip through the jungle”

Kok Chang Safari Elephant Trekking
Ranked #8 of 20 things to do in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Ann Arbor, Michigan
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Ok trip through the jungle”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is a small operation and it was nice that they provide a free shuttle. And I guess the elephants were well cared for. But they seemed hungry and my "mahout" seemed disinterested in the whole experience. You do get some nice views on the trek.

• Arabic first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Exciting Elephant riding”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Very good elephant riding experience. It's natural, comfortable but not commercialized. Riding through the forest, watching the silver beach and feeling the wind on the hill, the family were all devoted to loving the nature Thai.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Fred W
Gisborne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful Animals!”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I was in two minds about whether to go elephant trekking or not as I have heard some awful stories about how the elephants are trained, not specifically this place but in general across the globe... I decided to look at it in the way that by supporting the park I would be helping them take care of the elephants and with growth would come better awareness & improved training methods in the long run... anyway, I was glad I did. The elephants appear to be quite well looked after and the trainers do seem to care about them, and it was an amazing experience to get up close and interact with them, the ride was enjoyable and definitely a worthwhile experience, but for me the highlight was just being able to be so close to them and have them kiss you etc.. even though it was because her master told her to rather than genuine love, I didn't care. Their eyes have a real kindness about them, I will never forget the priviledge of being able to get so close to these amazing animals.

1 Thank Ilovemylittlepony
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“BEST EXPERIENCE EVER”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

If you are looking to elephant trek in Phuket I highly recommend doing here at Kok Chang Safari. It was my first time ever and by far the best thing I have ever experienced. I looked into many of the elephant treks and found this to be the best simple because through many of the reviews they don't harm their animals. I asked to hire the private car to pick me up since I was living in Patong and it cost $400 baht for the round trip. The elephant I rode was never once harmed, the driver did have a pick in hand but never used - instead whenever he wanted the elephant to do something he would just shout in Thai. I did the 30min trek and wished I did the 50min one instead - it was spectacular. You walk through the back of the camp then into jungle terrain were your elephant basically climbs up the mountain to the main peak where it over looks Kata Beach. The view is spectacular. I asked the driver if he could take a picture of me and he suggested I sit on the neck of the elephant as he took pictures. I was so excited and moved up and he snapped some pictures. He then said he was going to let me ride the elephant from there as we walked. It was amazing, since we had to climb down the mountain at this point so balancing was a bit hard but then I just held onto the seat that was on the back of the elephant. After you are welcome to pick up some banana's from the banana station (while making a donation) and feed the elephants. I was never asked if I wanted to buy anything. There is also a outdoor bar where you can enjoy alcoholic, non-alcoholic drinks and conversation with locals and tourist as well. Spectacular adventure and recommend it to everyone who plans on elephant trekking and are located in the Phuket area.

2 Thank Thespena K
Hobart, Tasmania
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“They seem to care for the elephants more than other safaris we saw.”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Firstly, I am not sure Jeisure has the same Elephant Safari - Kok Chang does not have a Gift shop.

I had researched the Elephant Safari's prior to going to Phuket and we decided on Kok Chang after the good reports on T/A. We were not disappointed. We are really strong against any cruelty to animals and would not have supported anything where we felt the animals were mistreated. The Elephants here were all under cover from the sun, had food and water and the carers really seemed to look after them well. We saw other Safaris and Kok Chang looked the best, by far. We saw one other safari where a baby elephant was the attraction out the front, This elephant was too young to be away from his mum and was trying to get to her but couldnt.. At Kok Chang you could select how long your walk was = 20mins, 30mins or 1 hour. We took the 30 minutes for 800 baht. We went up through a small forest, passing what looked like the elephant safari owners houses, and then to the top of a small hill with an incredible view. The elephants were treated very well and although the carers had a small stick, it was never used. They verbally encouraged the elephants to move along when they stopped (which was hardly ever). They took photo's of us at the top and at various places with great views and even gave us some frangipani's. Once back down, there were lots of banana's for us to feed the elephants. There were a few gibbons or monkeys up the top and they seemed to have alot of room to move around. I would recommend Kok Chang and glad we chose here as I would not have ridden elephants at the other places we saw as I dont think those places treated the elephants that good.

2 Thank Loveagreathotel