“Does anyone know the scientific name of Robin's "pumpkin cheesecake fruit"?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naguabo
Rainforest Fruit Farm
Reviewed 8 May 2017

I went to Robin's fruit farm in 2008.
All I wanna know is - what is that pumpkin cheesecake fruit that Robin had? It was out of this world amazing. Even he didn't really know the name for it, as he got it in Malaysia or something. If anyone knows what it's called in English - or its scientific name - that would be great! Please tell me!

OK to write a real review.... It was a memorable part of our trip for sure. I went as a budget traveler and recent college grad, and I knew that this was more like camping than glamping. I actually didn't stay in the treehouse (it was damaged by a hurricane at the time), so we stayed across the street at his neighbor's empty house that he rents out from time to time for him (This was also rather rustic: open-air, bugs flying in the non-screened windows, and next door to that the other neighbor had fighting cocks that crowed at each other all night starting at 3am on until dawn). So, I'm not sure if I would REPEAT the experience, but everything else in the adventure made up for it. Robin didn't take us on the hike, bc he was busy that day, but he gave us directions, and it was amazing - the hike was well worth the drive, and the sleepless night. It was like something out of a movie. BUT, listen to Robin. He told us not to climb the rock face if it had just rained because it will be slippery. I ignored him, and my friend almost fell to his death. We caught him. But, just listen to Robin's advice, so you don't fall off a cliff.) Also his fruit farm was awesome, to tour on a lark. But as others have said, it isn't like a.... professional orchard. More like, his private collection of obscure and amazing fruit trees. Think of it more as an outdoor greenhouse. Definitely a one of a kind place, and I will never forget it! He is also very nice.

Room Tip: rainforest adventure, hiking, exotic fruit
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 February 2016

Robin is the owner, and he provided us a tour of the rainforest that topped our hopes. My wife, au pair, and 1.5 and 3.5 year olds joined Robin for a custom tour lasting well over 3 hours. As we walked through the forest, Robin shared blueberries and other trailside edibles, which was a highlight for the littles. He brought us to a lovely pool preceding a waterfall, where the whole family had a swim and explored. Robin will take you to any area of the park you desire, and made recommendations based on our family that fit us perfectly. Robin's 40 years in the rainforest yields stories, insight, and care that is hard to find. If you want to tour the rainforest, Robin's the ideal guide.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2015 via mobile

I stayed for a few nights recently at the cabin with my husband. I read these totally opposite reviews prior to arrival, but found it all depends on your expectations and perspective. The cabin is simple and placed in a beautiful spot surrounded by trees and frogs. The hike up to the cabin is a little challenging (very steep!) while carrying your bags, but was a fun adventure with spectacular views. On the first hike up robin pointed out all sorts of interesting trees giving us samples the entire time. If you go expecting luxury you will be dissapointed. If you go to experience the jungle and have an adventure you will love this place.

The toilet was not really functional, however there was a rain water tap for handwashing, etc. My only big complaint was that the inside of the cabin was a little stuffy. We also heard about keeping the doors shut tight to prevent mice from coming in, but didn't actually ever see any mice. I brought my own light sleeping bag and we had some candles/flashlights both of which I would recommend. We never actually cooked here, and there are a few restaurant options nearby.

If you stay here or even end up nearby make sure to ride down the road to Noelia's restaurant too. Best food around and Noelia was an amazing cook and host!

Robin is a great guy and wonderful welcoming host. We went on a hike with him and it was well worth the money as his knowledge of the Forrest and history are truly impressive.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I loved the guy Robin Phillips. He is really a good man with good heart. He is been living a secluded life eating fruits and vegan that normal basic necessities doesn't matter to him. As for me I will give the DO's and DON'Ts
DO- Do a trek with Robin Phillips, he has huge knowledge about the area and it will be fun.
DON'T- stay at the house unless you are used to staying on a tree. It just looks like a dungeon.

Again, Robin Phillips is an awesome guy but I guess he is just poor to renovate the house to make it pretty for the guest. I really wish him good luck.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank handofgod7
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We read about this place in Lonley Planet.If you are looking for an adventure and want to escape the tourist this is the place for you. We had all our camping gear with us and stayed two night. Amazing views all around Robins property.Remember this is real camping so bring everthing you need. Robin was hospitable and stayed up talking about Puerto Rico`s history. This place
is one of the most memorable parts of our vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank cinnersantarosa

Been to Rainforest Fruit Farm? Share your experiences!