See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I loved the guy Robin Phillips. He is really a good man with good heart. He is been living a secluded life eating fruits and vegan that normal basic necessities doesn't matter to him. As for me I will give the DO's and DON'Ts
DO- Do a trek with Robin Phillips, he has huge knowledge about the area and it will be fun.
DON'T- stay at the house unless you are used to staying on a tree. It just looks like a dungeon.

Again, Robin Phillips is an awesome guy but I guess he is just poor to renovate the house to make it pretty for the guest. I really wish him good luck.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank handofgod7
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We read about this place in Lonley Planet.If you are looking for an adventure and want to escape the tourist this is the place for you. We had all our camping gear with us and stayed two night. Amazing views all around Robins property.Remember this is real camping so bring everthing you need. Robin was hospitable and stayed up talking about Puerto Rico`s history. This place
is one of the most memorable parts of our vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank cinnersantarosa
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I read all of the reviews and felt I had a proper expectations set in my mind, but the Rainforest Fruit Farm was quite a bit more memorable that I expected!! Memorable can carry multiple connotations! :-) Here was our experience.

- Arrived near dusk (our fault and bad decision). We parked along the road and started walking up the steep driveway. It was incredibly slippery and we had fun sliding and spinning our "wheels".
- When we got to the top, there was a sign to ring the bell for service. The bell was a big saw blade that you whacked with a stick. Wow! There was lots of junk but this was expected.
- Robin was gone, but a friend was taking care of it. He came out and proceeded to give us very large walking sticks. "You will need these!" We were all wondering why. We soon found out...
- We proceeded to carry our belonging up the high through the dark and thick grass. Every now and then our guide said to watch your footing as it drops off.
- The cabin was as I expected. Non-working toilet and shower, but there was a spigot that worked. My brother & sister-in-law slept in on the bed and my wife slept out on the hammocks which was a mistake. Very uncomfortable and cold, but quite memorable!
- My favorite part was waking up and eating a star-fruit that could be reached from the deck. However, I was quite disappointed the "fruit farm" aspect. There were a few mango trees, the star fruit tree but not much else. Overall, it was memorable but not worth the money!!

Camping on Culebra was a much more amazing experience. I wouldn't recommend this camping experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I was just telling a friend about the great experience we had here, came on Trip Adviser to show him and when I saw the reviews I knew I had to write one. You should first know that to call Robin Phillips, the owner, eccentric might even be an understatement. However, he is incredibly intelligent, extremely nice and hospitable and anyone could learn a lot from him if they took the time to talk with him. The cabins are VERY basic and rustic, but you will literally be sleeping in the middle of a fantastic natural environment that cant be beat. There is plenty of fruit, just not all of it grows during the same season so you just need to ask Robin or his family where the current fruit is and how to pick it. I highly recommend the rain forest tour on the old electric plant land with the climb up to the secluded waterfalls. You can either pay a little and have Robin take you or just ask him how to get there and he will be happy to tell you. Yes the toilette of the cabin is totally outdoors and unenclosed but it is completely secluded and when you are sitting on it you will have a breathtaking view. I highly recommend this place for anyone who likes adventure, I can pretty much promise you an unforgettable experience! Just really, don't expect luxury in any form...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MeganFoster
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I planned a nine day trip to PR back in April while I was in Afghanistan. I booked the "Fruit Farm" cabin for the 14th and 15th of October 2012. My wife and I are both adventure seekers and outdoor enthusiast. We have no problem making do without the special things and comforts of 5 star accommodations. Upon arrival we were greeted by a young preteen boy, he informed me that I could not park at the house I had to park my car down on the road (Route 191). No big deal. The owner's residence was more of a junk yard than a house. There was no adult present at the home. Robin was apparently in North Carolina... I parked at the road grabbed my assault pack with the basics (tea candles matches bug spray flashlights etc.) my wife followed suit. We were first led under a half shed half carport that had an 80's Toyota truck that had not been moved in years and had been used as a dumpster. We walked across corrugated steel roof panels after there where we were informed the tree to our right was an Avocado tree (No fruit on it or any of the other random barely alive "trees" on the "farm"). Continuing up the hill littered with buckets and horse droppings and a random steel cable that winds it's way up the mountain... I asked the boy how often they had people up here, he hesitated and said "often". You could obviously tell no one had been up there in a while. We made it to the "tent site" that was mentioned before. The shell of a building with a tent in it looked as if it too was now being used as dumpster/junk storage. We reached the "cabin" and first thing propped up against the door was a gallon fruit juice container full of urine. The bed was made, but not clean. The porch I almost fell through due to faulty construction and rotting wood. I placed our things on the bed and sat on the porch with my wife, the seven year would not leave. I finally had to pay him four dollars to go away. We stayed in the cabin for about 30 minutes before I wanted to go up the El Yunque gate on the south end of Route 191 (the road the "fruit farm" is on). The south gate even though within open hours was closed, and apparently always is now. Save your money stay in Rio Grande somewhere and hike The La Mina, La Coca, Mt Britton and if you can find it the Juan Diego trails on the north side of Route 191. Remember the gate on Route 191 at La Coca closes at 6pm though so park outside and walk in. Juan Diego trails are not marked, but follow the Juan Diego stream uphill from where it crosses 191 for an awesome climb and quite a few falls that destroy La Mina and La Coca. The south end of 191 is disgusting covered in litter broken glass and other VERY unsanitary items. It is supposed to be maintained by the hydroelectric authority at the base of the draw... We returned to the car and on the drive back from the gate I had pretty much made my mind that I was not staying in the cabin, but it was not set in stone yet. We walked back up the hill/path/junk yard/ horse manure trail scouring the hills looking for some kind of FRUIT on the farm. None in sight we did see quite a few of the native nuisance mango trees that are everywhere on the island and two Carambola trees. We made it back to the cabin and I walked under it around to the outdoor bare all toilet. The ground around the base of it was gone it had eroded away from the concrete that was dumped on the ground forming a makeshift pad... The toilet reservoir lid was busted in half the bowl filled with fecal matter and would not flush PERIOD. It was not set. We were leaving. Keep the $80 Phillips Fruit Farm, everyone else save your money stay away from this scam. By these standards I could collect $200 a night for you to stay in my daughter’s tree fort on my 1/3 acre property in FL; at least you would see plenty of fruit trees that way… This place is dangerous a huge liability but with WORK could easily be cleaned up and made a little cleaner/nicer. Work is the key word.

Room Tip: Ask them to email you updated pictures of any of their sites, do NOT trust their webpage. Everything on the webpage is extremely misleading and or outdated.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple