“Cosy, good staff and good food”
Review of The Chestnut Tree

The Chestnut Tree
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Lovely light lunch amid quite a gaggle of all sorts of people munching huge plates of good-looking food! Good traditional pub, attractive beams and lots of 'snug' corners. We had soup and a sandwich and staggered out very well fed. We aren't local but wish we were - a very nice place to visit.

RACHELC1967, Owner at The Chestnut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much for taking time to write your review, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your lunch and we hope to see you when you are next in the area. Kind regards Rachel

Reviewed 13 September 2017

My partner and I have eaten here around 5 times in the last month for Sunday lunch, weekday lunches and dinner. We haven't been disappointed once and have always been impressed with the value for money and the quality of the food. For instance, £9.50 gets you a superb Sunday lunch with all the trimmings. Everything was cooked really well ( Which is not the case in many other pubs I've been in for Sunday lunch and paid a lot more ) We will certainly be returning for Sunday lunch.

For lunch we have tried the pie and mash, hunters chicken, and ham egg and chips. We have also tried their basket meals at £6.50 for a burger and chips. Superb value for money and a lovely no nonsense burger. what I mean by a no nonsense burger is you're not paying £16 for something fancy which you later regret ordering. You also get more chips than you know what to do with.

Not only have we been impressed with their food, but we have also tried many gins on their Gin menu and have done our best to try as many local ales as possible.

I must also mention that when the weather's nice, their beer garden is by far the prettiest beer garden of any pub we have been to.

Looking forward to visiting The Chestnut tree again in the near future

RACHELC1967, Owner at The Chestnut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Wow, what an amazing review, thank you so much!

I have to agree with your comments on the Sunday roasts, they are the highlight of my week too, and I did marry the chef for his Yorkshire puddings :)

Thank you for supporting our little pub, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon. Beer festival next weekend so a simple menu being served, but hopefully you can join us and try our homemade Scotch eggs, delicious. It also looks like we may be lucky with the weather so can enjoy the garden for a little longer.

Best wishes
Rachel

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

popped in with friend when we were coming back home. typical pub with lovely atmosphere and fair prices. however I wouldnt stop there if I would know we would need to wait 37minutes for 2chicken burgers.

RACHELC1967, Manager at The Chestnut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am really sorry that you had to wait, we have had a few occasions this week when, even though we had no reservations, we have seen our dining room fill quickly.

We always give priority to anyone who has booked, so a quick phone call would have meant that your order would have been given priority over 'walk ins'.

Unfortunately, we have a very small kitchen so only have one chef, any more and they literally wouldn't have the space to work. This can cause delays if others have ordered just before you, however, we have a policy of advising people when we anticipate that they may need to wait more than 30 minutes. Customers can then decide whether they are happy to wait or would prefer to go elsewhere.

I apologise if you were not advised of this when you visited, I fully appreciate that it would have appeared a long wait for 2 burgers, however it is as much an issue of what was ordered by others before you, as what you had ordered yourselves.

I apologise again, netherless I hope that you enjoyed your meals and that this has not put you off visiting us again in the future.

Kind regards
Rachel

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

The Chestnut never fails to disappoint with great beers ( different real ales every week) and quality pub grub. In addition to the old favourites such as Hunters Chicken and fish and chips, try the great new pies and chips. Don't forget the real ales which really differentiate this pub from others in the area. It's also got a quality beer garden carefully tended by Pete and Rachel

RACHELC1967, Owner at The Chestnut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Thank you for the great review Peter, a pleasure to have your company as always, and pleased you enjoyed the pie! Best wishes Rachel

Reviewed 7 June 2017

Had Sunday lunch here with my son and wife.pork and beef tender with a good selection of veg.nice garden outside and on my next visit will eat in the garden weather permitting.staff very attentive even forgot to put the drinks on the bill.as I honest person I had to own up.

RACHELC1967, Owner at The Chestnut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Thank you for such a lovely review Peter and for being so honest to come back and rectify my mistake. Was probably too busy chatting with you to write them down!! Thanks again, I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal and I look forward to seeing you both again soon Rachel