“Amazing!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2020

Food was outstanding, service was brilliant, highly recommended! The complimentary bread was amazing!

Date of visit: October 2020
Write a reviewReviews (928)

Reviewed 26 October 2020

Visited the Nut Tree to celebrate my wife's birthday. Have been here a number of times before and enjoyed it - this was no different. Covid restrictions have limited the menu but nevertheless the food, wine and service were all spot on. The only criticism I have is that the cheese offering, whilst good, is not up to the standard of the other dishes.

Reviewed 25 October 2020 via mobile

Beautiful ambiance with the most amazing food. Six of us went for my sons birthday and we absolutely loved it. We all had the taster menu - every course was a delight. Would totally recommend this restaurant and will definitely be back.

1  Thank donfambhx
Reviewed 15 October 2020

Incredible food, excellent service, great selection of wine. I did not expect such a high standard in a tiny Oxfordshire village! I have to go back, outstanding!

2  Thank anorth52
Reviewed 12 October 2020

Having recently visited The Cross in Kenilworth I was excited to take my wife to another Michelin Star restaurant.

I was unable to book online owing to WiFi issues but in fairness the owner called me back so was able to reserve a table after all.
The venue itself is lovely and the welcome was warm and sincere.

We opted for the tasting menu but having experienced superb service in Kenilworth I automatically expected more.

There was lots of crumbs on the table from bread but no one came to clear it.
We got served once course twice and had to send it back.
The roast beef was simply awesome and highly recommended.
We bought wine and it was literally put down on the table with no explanation of what it was.
One waitress clearly did not know what she was serving and had to go and ask what it was.

The waitresses were pleasant but I can get pleasant at my local Wetherspoons. I expected knowledge of the food and wine being served and more professionalism in general. They just never seemd in control.

Worst if all when it came to pay the card machine did not work. I had other guests looking in and ai was so embarrassed. Despite trying 4 times I was asked to go to the bar. Thankfully there another guest could not pay either. I was informed more WiFi issues was behind not being able to pay.....I was genuinely embarrassed having a room full of people staring at me being unable to pay.

Were we offered a free coffee or a drink?... nope.

The head chef arrived behind the bar with no mask on which was a tad worrying given Covid.

After trying 9 times to pay we left without doing so but eventually managed on the Tuesday over the phone. This of itself was interesting as we were told on the Saturday that this would not be possible.

So overall food in a digital age with analogue service. It was really disappointing. If the Inspectors were there when we were there is no way the Star will still shine next year.

At £190 for 2 people I don't think my expectations were unreasonable.

If you want good food then great. If you want good food with an experience then give it a miss. We will not be back.