“Very fun day trip”

Jungle Land Panama
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Gamboa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This is the by far the most complete day tour conducted on Lake Gatun of the Panama Canal. Tour the lake and see diversa flora, fauna and ships transiting the Canal. Witness history in the making with works to expand the canal. Visit Monkey Island and our award winning Floating Lodge. Enjoy a delicious Panamanian lunch and take part in our numerous activities at no additional charge, kayaking, fishing, swiming & Stand-up-Paddling.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 June 2017

We recently did a day excursion with Jungle Land Panama and we had a fantastic time. We had small kids and they all enjoyed the boat ride, kayaking and swimming. The floating lodge is unique and provides a nice place to break, eat a great Panamanian lunch and take in the scenery before moving on to other activities. I've seen some other reviews regarding Capt. Carl and his behavior and demeanor. I can see where others may not appreciate his sense of humor, but it didn't bother us and I don't think it should be a reason to not try this day trip. Just roll with it and enjoy the experience. He is very knowledgeable and very safe throughout the activities. The day trip was definitely worth it and when we return to Panama maybe the overnight excursion will be next on our list. If you're looking for things to do in Panama while visiting, this needs to be at the top of your list - the experience is unbeatable and we've been to Panama several times now.

All reviews
"second floor"
in 5 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"overnight stay"
in 6 reviews
"overnight package"
"beer and wine"
"eating lunch"
"different types"

Reviewed 6 June 2017

What an awesome time! The whole experience is what we were looking for! Capt. Carl and Shane did a great job guiding the tour. I will definitely go again!

1  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 26 May 2017

The trip was nice, the lodge was very clean and well appointed, and the lunch served was spectacular. So why ruin a good thing with an arrogant and sarcastic owner. People, like me, really want to learn something on these trips, so when legitimate questions asked in a polite manner are given an arrogant and sarcastic quip as a response, that is not good. In reading some of the other reviews, others have experienced the same. I guess Carl doesn't realize the power of Tripadvisor and what comments his clients will make about the experience. Aside from the sarcastic owner, the trip was good.

2  Thank Gmoney1955
bigriver63, Owner at Jungle Land Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

I do appreciate the power of Trip Advisor. I use it as a platform to better inform our future clients as what to expect at Jungle Land. This way they can make an educated choice if this is the tour for them.

The Captain isnt arrogant he is confident and out spoken. He has received thousands of guestions and his 15 years on the lake allows him to answer the majority without going to google while the guests are not looking. He aswers sensible questions sensibly. This may start with a joke on the subject.

Question: How deep is the lake?
Answer: Over your head.
Followed by: Some spots are over 100 feet deep and some places you can stand.

Sorry to say that some question are not sensible. For example a guest just this week pointed out over the lake and asked me if it was sewage water. I couldnt understand where this question came from since the water wasnt dirty nor smelled bad.

Answer: No this isnt sewage water. 50% of Panama's human population take their drinking water from this lake and I am one of them.

Please keep in mind when asking a question of the Captain he aquiered his form of guiding while serving in the United States Marine Corps. Not as a liberal minded college professor.

There are no safe spaces in the Jungle.

Semper Fi!

Captain Carl Davis

Reviewed 2 May 2017

We didn’t do our research properly and we didn’t realise it was 2 hours in a minibus from our hotel in Panama City to the boat, quite a long way down the canal.
By the way our English-speaking driver(Saul) on the tour was excellent and we engaged him privately to take us from Panama City to our next hotel near Gamboa and from there to the airport. Contact details :- scastillom031@gmail.com
Things got a bit worse at the dock on the canal because there are no facilities when you get there and we had to go to the toilet behind a tree, like almost everybody getting on the boats. You would think somebody could manage a portaloo or something, the amount of money changing hands on these trips. Things got slightly worse when we went to get on the boat and the guy in charge (Captain Carl??) requested my wife and I sit on different benches, one behind the other. I explained that no, we were going to sit side by side and he replied “Are you guys on honeymoon or something?” I am almost 60 and we have been together almost 40 years. You have to be careful using sarcasm with total strangers. Didn’t work for me, but there again I’ll never see the guy again so all is good.
The rest of the tour was really, really good. Our guide (Luiz? Ruiz?) was friendly, chatty and full of interesting information about the canal. We stopped for 15 minutes at Monkey Island where there are some essentially tame monkeys that come to the boat for their twice-daily meal of peanuts and bananas from the tourists. We then went for an excellent lunch in the floating lodge, a unique facility, followed by kayaking around the narrow waterways, which was a lot of fun. After that we returned to Panama. Good day out with lots to see and a nice kayak ride (or fishing for those who didn’t want the exercise), recommended.

2  Thank daviddavies99
bigriver63, Owner at Jungle Land Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

It isnt common to take two hours to get to the lake. Like anywhere in the world traffic can occure.
The public boat ramp is managed by the Panama Canal Authority and not only will they not install restroom facilities they wont allow the tour operators to do so. I cant understand their reasoning in this.
When we load the tour boats we try to do so with comfort and safety in mind. When space allows I do suggest that couples sit one in front of the other so as to not crowd on one seat and better balance the boat. I was not being sarcastic. Newly weds come in all ages.

Relax and enjoy the ride,

Captain Carl