Review Highlights
Excellent river and lake tour

We were taken to the Gamboa Tarpon Club where we picked up the Eco Tour. We split into 2 boats and... read more

Reviewed 8 May 2017
Duquesadiner
Glasgow, United Kingdom
via mobile
Highly recommend overnight

My daughter and I did the overnight stay. It was even better after the day crowd left. Fantastic... read more

Reviewed 27 March 2017
Peteydogohio
Ohio
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Gamboa
from USD 125.00
from USD 16.05
from USD 110.00
from USD 42.80
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 November 2015 via mobile

A great day on the water with wildlife.

As much fun as it is to be on the canal next to the cargo ships and realize just how big they are, the real fun starts when you get off th main path.

When you start into the little inlets, you begin to see just how beautiful the land really is. You start to feel like you're in a movie as you get further in, cause it just keeps getting prettier.

Make sure you have a good camera for pics and vids, cause it will get lots of use!!

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 6 January 2015

we took two young kids with us to see the monkeys and wild life, which they did...but lunch wasn't until 1:30 when we made sandwiches and had a muffin and pop...a long time as we did a two hour bus ride, a boat ride, a walk in the jungle...so take food!

Date of experience: January 2015
4  Thank Jane3722
Reviewed 10 October 2014

Its only been 9 months and I still think about my awesome trip on the panama canal with Captain Carl. If your in Panama and you don't do this tour,(better yet spend the night, I did) You will not know what you have missed. Captain Carl will make sure you have a great adventure. My favorite part was hearing the Howler monkeys in the very early morning, Thanks again Carl, I will be back. Connie from Missouri

Date of experience: January 2014
2  Thank blueskies135
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had gone to Panama to stay at the Gamboa Resort which, by the way, is a beautiful resort in the middle of the rain forest. The boat trip was a little exciting but the best part was the white face monkey that we saw and I was able to capture them in beautiful pics. They are not afraid of humans and even a baby came out to join his/her (mother??). It was great to see. I had gone to Panama because I wanted to see Monkey Island. I was told that the island is gone because they are expanding the canal. I was very disappointed to hear about this. I asked where did the monkeys go and I was told "they went away". I hope to find another island. All in all, the trip was great. As a matter of fact, I will be in Panama for the Labor Day weekend.

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We went on Sunday, August 2, 2014, in the rainy season but we got very lucky and had no rain. We were a boat full of guests from all over the world. We were picked up in Panama City and made the trip in a nice van with a great driver who did a little side sightseeing guide as we followed the Panama Canal up to Lake Gatun. The dock from which you are picked up is very un-glamorous, but it didn't set the tone for the trip.

We were picked up by Captain Carl in his Jungle Land boat and were instructed to put on orange life vests (beware as they have a pretty ripe smell, but not unusual to anything in Panama during the rainy season). My mom and I were instructed to sit in the back of the boat next to the Captain which I really liked since he spoke in both English and Spanish and I enjoyed hearing the differences in what was said in each language. He's a bit full on with his jokes and such, but I thought that it was cleaver even if some of it was corny (I have a soft spot for corny jokes!)

You can tell he's been navigating these waters for quite some time (13 years) and knows the monkey's in the area by name. He was able to point out various flora and fauna that we saw more of on our trip which was very educational. I won't ruin the surprise but he won't let you go without getting in some good "monkey time." That was a huge highlight!

The Eco Resort is pretty impressive... it's three boats harnessed together to make one large multi-storied floating hotel (it's a Flo-Tel!). Everything was very clean and we were served lunch on the deck. Tables were set and I was impressed that there was a lot of care given in the set up. I also was very impressed that the usually neglected Vegetarian's were given a full meal with Soy Dogs, beans and rice, plantain dessert, and more. I was full and happy. You can also purchase a variety of ice cold beers or box wine for $1 each... a nice touch!

The Flo-Tel has a great spot for people to jump into the water although it looked super dark and scary, but in the end, it was fine. The amazing thing about this place is that there are no mosquitos! I was astounded that we were not completely covered in bites... it's a small amazing miracle!

We paired up and got into the kayak's to paddle to the waterfall. This was awesome and my mom who is in her 60's totally loved it. The waterfalls were refreshing and fun to jump off of. Beware that you should use your best judgement in getting to do any activities as this is not an overly monitored US tour company, which I found to be refreshing and nice. But just be careful if you decide to climb up on the rocks. The rest of the trip back was great... Capt Carl pulled out a baby alligator for us all to take photos with and then we headed back into the Panama Canal. We saw some large boats navigating the Canal at that point and I felt like it was a very full experience.

I'd recommend it for those that like to get off the beaten path and enjoy something fun and a little challenging.

Date of experience: August 2014