“Disapointing for foodies”
Review of River Cottage Restaurant - CLOSED

River Cottage Restaurant
Price range: USD 14 - USD 29
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Quaint Cottage property just down from the Noosa River, Serves contemporary European and Australian cuisine. Intimate dining setting. Outdoor dining in the summer under our covered verandah.
Reviewed 28 April 2015

It pains me to review this restaurant in a negative way as the last time I was here it was superb, however that was then and this is now. We went for dinner and were the first to arrive, the point in mentioning it is the Chef was not under any pressure as our order was the first placed, it was some time before others arrived. I started with slow cooked beef cheek, which obviously had been cooked hours early as it is slow cooked. well it had not been out of the fridge before it was then pan fried to crisp up the outside so the center was almost cold. For mains I ordered the crisp skin snapper which came on lemon flavoured mash, this was my big problem as it was awful how did this wind up on your menu? did you not taste it before you put it there, back to the drawing board on that little gem, to be fair we did have the special menu of two dishes for $40, I always say I'm will never do that again as it always has the made for a price taste and look about it. So that is my new resolution DONT DO IT AGAIN dummy

1  Thank DerekCC_12
fishingchef, Owner at River Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

A foodie? Yet you didn't even know what type of fish you were eating. We haven't served snapper for about 2 years. i won't even bother telling you, as you obviously can't tell the difference. The lemon mash is awesome, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad.

Reviewed 25 April 2015

went there for dinner service was a little slow but not bad meal was nice a little small for the price would go again but might have a look around first

Reviewed 17 April 2015

We chose River Cottage as it was a short walk from where we were staying in Noosavile
Nice ambience and quality furnishings.
Food and service very good
Extensive wine list.

Reviewed 9 April 2015

I had such nice souvenir of incredible food experience just 2 or 3 years ago, when some of my Frech friends visiting me at oosa this week, invited me for a restaurant, I instantly thinking about River Cottage.
OMG... how disapointing !!! Dinner booked at 8.00 pm, first strange impression when entering the restaurant: nearly empty, oh used to be packed... Anyway been sitting by a very welcomed waiter, we started by a little " coupette" ( translate glass) of champagne ( French for sure), othing to say about that... And the menu is brought to us ? What is that ? Fine dinning restaurant or a canteen !!! I even asked the waiter ( who could be the manager ) : did you change the chef ? No, she replied, but we have simplified the menu ! Simplified? No simply make it as very basic ! And I am nice in the choice of my words ... OMG . Honnestly I was ashamed to have adviced my friends this place, specially they were the one paying and they know that I was in the hospitality and I am supposed to have the good addresses.
Anyway , after looking at this " poor menu" we decided to all go for the salmon: well nothing to say ... Salmon was fresh and well cooked ( rose a l'arrete ) , skin was crispy but served with a poor half tomato and a big spoon of mash potatoes , not even a nice sauce to finish the plate. Served with a very nice Sauvignon blanc of NZ , at least one thing under control of the restaurant !
Honnestly overpriced for the quality and presentation of the plate.
Service was good, desert was good with a nice attention for the birthday of the lady.
Overhall , very disapointing experience, specially when you have in mind some lovely souvenir of unique moments.
Well, for sure they have lost convinced customers this week and they probably better to change the name of the restaurant from "River Cottage" to "River Cottage Canteen", it's already exist in UK.

fishingchef, Owner at River Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2015

I guess i should be grateful at the comments about my service. Yes it was good, i went out of my way to provide a platter to go with your French champagne. I gave you menu's ( not sure why i wouldn't) we are not and have never been a fine dining restaurant.

We also decorated the plate for the birthday girl, again, out of our way.

You dined late for Noosaville, we open at 5.30, yes , lots of people are in and out before 7.30.

The salmon was Fresh, served simply, not sure what the problem is. Not overpriced.

Your child broke one of our window panes as he shoved my felt pens out the window. You saw him do it and didn't have the decency to let us know. Not very good behavior, but as you were too busy ignoring him at 10.30pm at night running around the restaurant ( a 3 year old?) its understandable.

Why be so awful as an 'ex' hospitality person, why not say you are not happy? you said everything was great, you loved the platter, were thrilled by the attention for the birthday girl. You cleaned your plates. Such bizarre and unjust comments.

We can't please everyone every time, but we have to be here for the majority and accommodate and please our regulars. Which is what we do.

Reviewed 27 March 2015

By now many would know that we mainly do lunches , we prefer them to the bustle of dinners , and it's more likely the ingredients are fresher , and so are the staff !

Now we've read some of the exemplary reviews , and some of the less than favourable ones , and I must say , after today's experience , that I'm a little surprised at the negative ones. Maybe it was just a bad day , happens to the best of us. And I often wonder how many actually read and understand a menu.

We elected to select the $40 lunch special for my wife , and I went a la carte , so we had an immediate comparison of plating and sizes.

Service was prompt , friendly and most accommodating.

The entree's were delivered within 10 minutes of our drinks order arriving , a good indicator , and the presentation was very good.

My wife had the Poached pear, figs, watercress, sage, candied walnuts, goats curd beignets, vincotto , and I had the Mooloolaba prawns, watermelon, mint, coriander, coconut, chilli, coconut vinaigrette ,

After tasting a few mouthfuls , my wife pronounced hers as "one of the best entrees ever" , and I was impressed by mine. We don't usually manage to fully clean plates , but we did to these.

The mains arrived about 15 minutes after the entrees were cleared , she chose the Crispy skin Tasmanian salmon,avocado, pink grapefruit, water cress,artichoke, shaved fennel,red wine vinaigrette , and I chose the Byron bay pork medallions, sautéed potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, cauliflower, pear sauce , with a side of local sugar snaps, snow peas,green beans.

Again the presentation was very good , the side dish was huge , the Lunch Special Salmon was quite large , in fact my wife had difficulty finishing it all. The salmon was cooked perfectly , crispy skin and succulent pink/red flesh.

I had 3 good sized medallions of Pork , a well sauteed mix of potato, onion & bacon , braised mushrooms , lightly steamed cauliflower and an excellent pear sauce. All on the plate was more substantial than the special , but hey , it cost more.

I would say , that one piece of the pork was ever so slightly over cooked , but in fairness , it was also slightly smaller , nonetheless , it was succulent and quite delicious.

The side chosen was a good mix that suited both dishes , so we both shared this.

The only condiment needed was a little cracked pepper.

So , to sum up , an excellent meal , very good service , at a reasonable price , all served by one of the friendly owners , hard to get better than that.