“Nice location, shame about the hotel!”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice location, shame about the hotel!”
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Having booked this place last minute, we didn't do much research. As much as the location is beautiful, and the hotel looks nice from the outside that's about the only good thing I can say about the hotel.

We weren't made to feel welcome upon our arrival at all, and had to submit a card for 'pre-authorisation' which we weren't told about when booking. The room was small and rediculously hot, even with the radiator turned off to the point both widows had to be open all night to compensate for temperature on a cold evening in May. The room was clean, but not spotless with a clear inch of dust under the bed.

Breakfast was a joke, with cold toast and the poorest excuse for a cooked meal I have been presented with. The mushrooms were from a tin, the sausage and the bacon re-heated in a microwave, and hash brown that had been through a fryer twice. My girl friends scrambled egg was from a carton and the salmon looked old and past it's best.

The decor was dated and none of the staff took any pride in what they we're doing...disapointed would have to be an understatement. I believe the Americans would say 'stay here in a pinch'!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
South Wales
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful location right next to a lovely river but the hotel itself is actually quite old and dated. Nothing particularly wrong with being dated and the attempt at making the room ‘superior’ was ok but just not quite right. I paid an additional premium for a superior room but it really wasn’t superior. It just wasn’t finished rightly as the fittings in the bathroom were lopsided, there were stains on the carpet, holes where left where screws had been removed from the wall above the curtain and on the whole it was just quite grubby. It’s all well and good to make a fuss and inform the manager but to be quite honest I simply couldn’t be bothered. You pay for a superior room – you expect a superior room, end of.

The two things that really got to me are, firstly we arrived at 2pm, which was stated as the earliest check in time on the confirmation, only to be told check in time was 3pm which meant we had a wasted hour. Upon our return at 3pm there was a different member of staff at the reception to whom I pointed out what the booking confirmation said only to be told that check in was from 2pm – confused! This may only be minor but come on get it right!

The last thing that was horribly wrong was the breakfast. My wife and I both had cooked breakfast which consisted of a bit of fatty bacon which looked like it had been cooked in the microwave, a sausage, a teaspoon full of beans, a mushroom quartered, a greasy hash brown and the worst attempt at scrambled egg I have ever come across, a watery yellowy slop is perhaps a better description. Even if it had been nice it was that small it wouldn’t have touched the sides. I would have been embarrassed to serve it. The cutlery was also grubby. We had to swap a plate as it had bits of food stuck to it, the teapot looked like it had never been washed and on the whole again just let down.

I expected much more from this hotel given the cost and won’t be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark B

Travellers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Location was fine and the room not bad although the shower was really awkward and kept going hot/cold. The real problem was the manager, he was extremely rude and threatened our group in front of many other guests in the breakfast room. Extremely unprofessional. He was also coughing repeatedly into his hands, and then straight away handling food for guests! (he seemed to be in charge of toast making). It completely put me off my already unappetising breakfast.. Recommend not to stay here!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here with a group of friends and thought the hotel location was great, but the hotel itself was absolutely revolting. The rooms were tiny and very tatty. We also had a pair of dirty mens underpants on the ledge outside our room. Our shower broke and my bedside table lamp was burnt all the way round the top.

The manager of this hotel was very rude to us. We were paying customers who are respectable and he treated us very badly. If he didn't expect groups of people to come in late to this hotel then he should make that clear when you book, no big parties or hen dos. He also told us that if we made any noise then he would come and knock on our door at 6.30am when his shift starts to wake us up, this is absolutely not acceptable behaviour.

The breakfast was awful, I ordered poached eggs which just came on a plate with lots of water on and broken shell in.

Don't waste your money on this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Char1234VB
London
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Following on from the comment of " a poor excuse for a hotel", further to the manager's comments, I can confirm that yes we were on a girls weekend away (which I believe is allowed in this day and age). We did perhaps appear noisy when arriving back at the hotel, however, the walls are very, very thin, I could hear people in the room next door having a normal conversation so anything late at night would appear to be louder than usual. The bedroom doors are very, very heavy and would bang rather loudy when closing - as witnessed by ourselves when other hotels guests were leaving and entering their rooms at various hours. However, we chose not to complain about the noise, when staying in hotels these things happen!

However, I do strongly object to the fact that the following morning the hotel manager stood in the middle of the breakfast area and proceeded to tell me that there had been compliants. Had the guests knocked at our door we would have politely apologised and kept the noise down at once. However, the manager rudely spoke to me and threatened to wake myself the following morning at 6.30a.m. Not a particarly professsional way of dealing with this situation, especially in front of other hotel guests wanting to quietly eat their breakfast.

Two Friends that arrived the following day (who hadn't stayed the previously night) were also rudely greeted and before even being shown to their rooms were told they would also be woken at 6.30a.m the following morning. Nothing like being made to feel welcome!

Overall the hotel has wonderful surroundings, perfect location wise. Rooms were basic/OK dependng on the standards you're used to!

Personally I wouldn't stay here again unless under new management.

I wish the hotel the best of luck with future business - I think they may need it.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
6.1 km away
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 34 in Bath
3.3 km away
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!