“Stopped for a drink. ”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

I stopped here with my sister while we were walking, I sat while my sister went to the bar she looked back at me after 15mins, it wasn't that busy but clearly there were not enough staff, she was then served he put a glass under the beer tap and left the bar, my sister waited after about 5 mins another chap asked if she was bring served she said I was but he disappeared ! So the other one finished. We sat and watched the utter chaos going on around the bar and into the restaurant. On trying to access the toilets there was a dinning table next to the door, people trying to eat so didn't really want to move as we said excuse me ! The toilets were not up to standard. To give the pub a second chance I tried again today it was even worse with two behind the bar who could hardly speak English and people waiting and lack of stock ! Utter chaos. I lived in the area and have known this pub a long time, but I won't bother again ! !

3  Thank Lorraine B

Reviewed 14 January 2017

This is a large restaurant with a nice atmosphere. The staff were friendly and stopped to talk. There are lovely outside tables for the summer which I am sure will be filled with no problem. The choice of food is good. I had the beer battered fish and it was a very generous size, the chips were very nice and there were peas and a small salad to go with it. Friends had the lasagne which was piping hot and very tasty. For dessert we had a chocolate brownie with clotted cream. This was warm and lovely. Recommended.

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

Visited the White House Inn at Penhallow for a Sunday carvery. Staff are lovely, friendly and take the time to stop and speak to you. I was visiting with a lady with learning disabilities and they made a real fuss of her, she loved it! The meal was gorgeous, just like a good homemade Sunday lunch.Three choices of meats and a vegetarian option. Suet pudding and Yorkshire pudding offered with stuffing and the works. This is my second visit, just great pub food. I will return as I know the staff will provide friendly service and great pub food. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Stayed here for three nights bed and breakfast in one of their lodges in September. The staff at reception were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was of a good standard. Spotlessly clean with a comfy bed, big flat screened TV and good sized bathroom with shower. They had tea making facilities which were a bit skimpy we thought with only enough milk for 2 cups of tea or coffee and no biscuits!

Breakfast is served between 8-9am at weekends and 7-8am on weekdays. A bit early for those on holiday. However, the menu offered fruit juices, cereal, yoghurt and various cooked options. We ordered full English which was cooked very nicely, but once again was a little skimped eg - 1 sausage, slice of bacon, egg, slice of toast etc. Even when we ordered egg on toast we only got 1 egg on 1 slice.

In the evenings we ate out in different restaurants so cannot comment on their pub menu.

All in all, I would say that it offers good average accommodation for the price and is in a handy location for north and south Cornwall, but feel it needs a bit of a face lift and a re-think of their breakfast menu sizes.

1  Thank JorgeKent
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I ordered the chicken with mushrooms and garlic for a main meal and when it came out you could not taste the garlic, there was hardly any sauce on it, mostly onions and the chicken was tough to chew through so overcooked in my opinion.
You could have a choice of rice or chips or a mixture but the presentation had no thought put into it. The rice and chips were on the bottom and the chicken, onions and garlic on top making the rice and chips soggy, the chips were quite black too. I had to add copious amounts of salt and pepper to the dish to get a taste. My partner and his daughter had burgers and left most of it because the burgers had been frozen and were soggy on the bottom. The bar staff were busy talking to other people while serving us so didn't pay too much attention. Never again.

1  Thank Tracy C