All reviews arkadi monastery local ingredients honesty bar cretan hills olive oil factory dining terrace fresh herbs every evening buffet breakfast amari valley nearest town perfect hotel lovely pool beautiful room tasting menu peace and quiet rental car
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Stunning conversion of an ancient stone village into upmarket, tasteful accommodation.Utter peace and quiet.Only stopped for coffee this time(and homemade meringues and cake) but wished we'd booked here.Far, far from the madding crowds and ugly development on Crete's north coast.

Stayed: April 2017
Brig07, Reservation Manager at Kapsaliana Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Thank you for this review. We hope to be able to welcome you as our guests at the hotel next time.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This Hotel has been created from the renovation of a small village, with additional lovely pool area. The standard is very high.
We stayed in Aquarius room, which has a great deal of space and fine views.
The restaurant is reasonably priced for such a hotel, but of course more expensive than local restaurants. The food was very good.
Staff were very helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Wow Wow Wow, this place is fantastic idllic and such a fabulous location.
We stayed for a week from the at the end of July. We were looking for a peaceful getaway after a full few days in Rythmon. The pace of life is perfect here and you start to unwind as you get into the rhythm of the hotel. Its so unusual, its a very sympathetically restored olive oil village, which the owner has restored making each little house into a stunning guest accommodation. We stayed in a suite called Cassiopeia its worth paying extra for a better room, not only do you have the extra space to spread but you can make the most of the lovely vista as these rooms have roof top terraces. The room had fantastic air con, tea coffee making facilities, a great hairdryer and lovely cotton bathrobes and slippers, perfect for keeping the mozzies at bay. The toiletries products provided were excellent quality and I wish I had not brought my own. On arrival we received a welcome drink and in the room we had some lovely raki and dried fruits which was very welcome.
In the day you can go on some lovely walks we visited the local monastery a couple of miles away but mostly we just stayed and relaxed around the pool.Other reviews recommended getting a car but in hindsight we did not need one and the roads in Crete are a bit hairy to say the least. I have to say my husband did not enjoy the driving and considering how much we left the hotel we did not really need a car at all. The pool is great and big enough for exercise however its not heated. It was very hot during our stay so we welcomed the cool pool. The pool is not maned by staff but you can use the the phone in the bar to order food or help yourself to dinks and snacks suing an honesty bar system. At around 3pm a member of staff comes on and makes drinks for an hour or so.
Food- What can I say I am a foodie and I like to try local cuisine. The restaurant food was outstanding. With a very wide selection in the buffet, we stuck to local greek breakfast daxos which is oven dried bread with olive oil tomatoes cheese and olives. We also loved the fruit salad and delicious greek yoghurt and small rice puddings. Plenty of choice huge selection of bread, meats, bacon and eggs, cakes something for everyone here. Breakfast is served from 8am till 11am. most days this was enough to keep us going till dinner. However they do open for lunch if you need something mid day.
We opted for half board this was a good choice our lovely server Stelios looked after us and explained we could have whatever we wanted on the menu to the price we paid for half board. If the price goes over he just added the extra on for that day but he also gave us a good discount as well. This was such a good idea as we could pick from any menu without restriction. We loved the white Prince wine it was only local house wine at 14 euros but was delicious and light. As you order your meal you can have a bread basket which was fantastic with Olive oil produced by the head chef. They also bring a very tasty amuse-bouche which was always very welcome. Our favourite starter was the cold tomato soup absolutely delicious and my husband had that twice. My best starter was a slow cooked vegetable starter a bit like a deconstructed ratatouille . It was stunning and tasted amazing. I also loved the slow cooked pork and the grilled Tuna. My husband loved the slow cooked lamb and the pasta . The menu is limited but more than adequate, we mainly ate the specials, every night 2 starters and 2 mains are added to the menu. We tried all the puddings and our favourite one was the chocolate one although I did like the Lemon tart as well. The chef was amazingly passionate I loved the fact that he sourced so many of his ingredients from the hotel gardens and vegetable plots it feels like a very sustainable Hotel.
I highly recommend the olive oil tasting. It is quite expensive at 40 euros each however the quality of the oils are outstanding and you learn so much about how the oil is produced and what to look for in a good oil that it is actually worth every penny. The head chef personally delivers the olive oil tasting and produces the hotel oils. He works so hard making oil and producing outstanding food he is passion for his work is infectious.
One thing that they could expand on is the cookery side. I am a keen cook and I would have happily paid for a cookery lesson on traditional Crete food maybe this is something they could do in the future.
On a Thursday night they do a taster evening however we missed out on this but it did look nice. After breakfast you need to book your table for dinner. If you want to sit in one of the balcony tables I recommend booking for an early dinner at around 7:30. The service is quite laid back and some nights we were in the restaurant for a good few hours but it was very enjoyable and lets face it you are on holiday.
On checking out we were given a very thought full thank you gift and use of a single room for showers as we had a late check out. As its a small hotel by the end of our week we felt like we know all the staff and guests as well. A lovely hotel that I did not want to leave and hopefully can return to again. Keep up the good work

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank JanetteD

Thank you so much for this very detailed review. I'm sure a lot of furture guests will appreciate every bit of it !

Reviewed 8 August 2017

We were wrapping up a week on Crete when at the last minute we decided it might be fun to stay on another part of the Island. We did some quick research and came up with Kapsalina. A superb experience. If you have ever spent any time in any of the five stars in Napa, you would feel very comfortable here. Beautiful setting and designed with the eye of a world class architect incorporating this ancient olive farm. Beautiful pool area and a first rate restaurant manned by a chef who loves to interact with his diners. My advice would be to pay for the premium rooms to get the best experience. This place is a true find and my guess is once word gets out, it will be a tough booking. Certainly not a last minute one.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Very beautifull restorated old oliveoilfarm ! Excellent breakfast and diner, topchef and very frendly people. Nice area. The rooms have enough space , have airco and TV, and are very nice. Although 15 km from the see, you can see the see standing bay the pool.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank gertv32