“Amazing location, great food”

The Cave of Nikolas
Ranked #11 of 40 Restaurants in Akrotiri
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Santorini... Akrotiri beach... By the sea, lies for many years a small, traditional cave, build by Uncle Nikolas with his own hands when he was young. Made with lots of love and passion, the cave offered a kind of shelter to himself and his little boat. Always by his side was his wife, Aunt Efstathia, whom her "magical" cuisine made everybody crazy. Unforgettable Spiros Marinatos, headmaster of the excavation project in the archaeological place in Akrotiri, suggested to Uncle Nicolas to alter this shelter in a small tavern, for the hungry workmen of the excavation, offering them traditional and delicious treats such as tomatoballs, fava, "chloro" cheese, spaghetti with sauce and plenty of fresh fish. Over the years, the cave grew fast known to the visitors of the island, since after their visit at the excavation they used to direct to the beach to taste Aunt Efstathias' popular snacks and the rich in taste and spice wine of Uncle Nicolas. In 1981, the "Cave of Nicolas" went on to their daughter, Margarita, who had learnt the art of cooking from Mr Marinatos wife. Her love for traditional cuisine and local products, that herself and her husband, Nicolas grow, gave her a Gourmet Prize, as the best traditional tavern for 2007-2008 in Santorini.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Super recommended. We came here on a night when we were the only clients. Right next to the sea, I spent 20€ and I got a great appetizer with grilled feta, tomatoes and oil, and a fish portion (3 whole grilled fishes). We got offered a small but nice dessert. Absolutely recommended.

1  Thank Ale_Storchi

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Great restaurant next to the beach. Located far away from the normal tourist hotspots - were about 10 guests. We got free dessert and had a great time!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

the sea food is pretty good!the sauce of the food is amazing!it seems add lemon in the sauce. I never ate something like this before.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

My friends and I were brought here by our local host. We had fish, squids, prawns, fava bean dip, eggplants, local Santorini tomatoes. All the dishes were cooked to perfection, really fresh and tasty! Most of the restaurant is built into a cave, a roof is added to the exterior so patrons could sit outside and enjoy the sea view. This is one of those meals I will always remember, great food and amazing location. Far away enough from the hordes of tourists, one could almost forget it was in Santorini. My regret was not bringing a swimsuit to jump in the water after eating! Definitely worth a trip another time!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 15 December 2017

We were told by some locals that The Cave of Nikolas was a great place to go for lunch or dinner. We decided to go for lunch after the Red Sand Beach. This is a local family run business and they have a great little place here. Service was very good. Our server made our experience so much fun. The menu had a nice selection of options for all tastes. The fish is caught fresh everyday so I went with the Red Snapper. It was probably the best fish I've had at a restaurant, and I don't always order fish from restaurants, I like it freshly caught, but I figured I'd give it a go. They let you pick your fish out and then weigh it for cost. The sound of the waves and view of the ocean topped this experience of.

Date of visit: October 2017