All reviewssnow hotelice restaurantsleeping bagaurora alarmlocker roomsalmonunique experienceone nightglass igloonorthern lightsonce in a lifetimeice roomsnow and icewarm roomice sculpturesbucket listbaked potato
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This was a fun thing to check off the bucket list and experience (and I'm glad I did it), but I don't feel a need to do it again. I was surprised how well I slept. It took me a bit to get situated and comfortable so I didn't feel claustrophobic in the mummy sleeping bag...but once I was situated the only thing that was cold was my nose. I slept great until they arrived with our hot berry juice in the morning! Also, I enjoyed our dinner at the Kota restaurant. Loved the salmon!!...My husband's reindeer...not so much - it was two patties of ground meat that reminded us of salisbury steak like you'd get at a diner in the States. We had reindeer on two other occasions in the trip that was great, but would not recommend ordering it here. I really regret not getting over to the ice bar to have a drink and shatter the ice-glass against the wall when we finished - that looked fun! Breakfast was nice. It was fun to see all the rooms and I was glad to see that there was a (heated) bathroom on-site. The rest of the hotel was all snow and that was fun.

Room Tip: You're just in your room to sleep so if you are able to see the other rooms then it probably doesn't matter much to splurge here.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holly L
ArcticSnowHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thank you for staying with us! We have changed our reindeer option for next winter season so it will be sauteéd reindeer with mashed potatoes (which is more traditional for this region :) ).

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner visits the week before Christmas and stayed for 3 night in an igloo..
Unfortunately we didn’t see the northern night but that would of been the cherry on the top of a wonderful magical trip.
Staff were lovely and friendly, igloo was basic and comfortable (exactly what the website states) Beautiful surroundings and we were able to use the ice bar in the ice hotel, and did slip off and take a sneaky peak in the ice hotel that opened on the day we left.. incredible place!!!
Once in a life time trip, which I MUST do again.
TV would of been nice though
Gorgeous place..
Driving is a must.
We rented a car

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

On the night we stayed, we were lucky to see the northern lights through the glass roof.
This is a must do if you are in Rovaniemi.
The room is quite small for our group of 3, and the bed is small for my height. (5'8)
We had dinner in the ice restaurant. Food was pricey for the value, but we were there for the magical experience.
Remember to bring your purse if you might order some hot beverage. We had it billed to our room , and upon checking out, they didn't show us the receipt before charging my card, and charged me more. I didn't notice the number was wrong until we were in another hotel.
Though it was resolved quickly, I did lose some money on credit card conversion fee/foreign transaction fee.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed 31 March 2018

This is quite something to see and quite something magical to realise how much work goes into building it each and every year.

We didn’t stay at the hotel or the igloos, which personally we’d say was the right idea as it was quite touristy and not for us even though we visited in February!

We did however join the tour around the hotel and had drinks in the ice bar and dinner in the restaurant which was an experience in itself. The food was good, as were the Baileys hot chocolate, but you do find yourself just waiting to leave to get some warmth again. To be honest based on that it’s difficult to understand how anyone could stay in the Snow Hotel overnight!

However its still a sight that's recommended to visit if you have never seen an ice hotel before.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for visiting us! We do give warm sleeping bags for our overnight guests which are meant for extreme conditions to keep the guests warm overnight.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I loved staying here. Would come back. I'm a solo traveler. I bought a 2 night package offer, which included 1 night stay in the SnowHotel and 1 night in the Glass Igloo (though I was paying for 2 people in one of the rooms I don't remember which one). If I come back I would just stay in the Glass Igloo. Staying in the SnowHotel is a cool experience and I'm glad I did it but you don't need to do it twice! It was nice having booked everything in advance so I wasn't shelling out more money for each little thing. My package I paid for included my transfer to the Arctic SnowHotel and Glass Igloos and then my transfer back into Rovaniemi (to the train station, no extra charge for that). My package included my dinner each night (which was sooo delicious oh my gosh please order the Elk and the Salmon and save space for the desserts). Also included breakfast each morning (because I was leaving really early on checkout day they packaged my breakfast for me to takeaway). I just paid for lunch both days (also lovely, but pricey so bring something from the grocery store if you're trying to save money because the restaurant is the only option out here). My package also included free use of snow shoes and sleds, one ice drink in the Ice Bar, free pats for the reindeer, and free majestic views. Public sauna and shower use also included in the package. The things I paid extra for:
- Any drinks above the one free included
- Lunch
- Snow shoe guided tour (with drink and sausages over the fire)
- Use of the jacuzzi - I paid 20 euro for the public jacuzzi (I think it was 50-60 for the private one). I recommend the public jacuzzi because the view is to die for!! I think the private jacuzzis are covered (no view) but just to be sure go public! No one else used the jacuzzi while I was there so I got a "private jacuzzi" for the price of a public one.

I was a bit worried that being out at this remote place that I would get bored (not enough activities to do?) but I kept busy almost the entire time. Sledding, exploring, patting reindeer, snow shoeing, hiking, napping, sitting by the fire relaxing, eating, drinking, etc. They recently added snowmobiling excursions but I didn't sign up as I had done a few of these during my stay in Rovaniemi already. You can also take a transfer to Santa Claus Village or Rovaniemi city but I didn't bother because I'd just come from there before I arrived at Arctic SnowHotel and Glass Igloos. Staff are very helpful (and they do EVERYTHING, they even helped build the hotel!). If you are worried about a night in the SnowHotel don't be - they have warm beds to escape to if you can't survive the whole night (but with proper thermals and the bedding they give you then you will be grand - only my nose got a little cold). This place is certainly a luxury/expensive bucket list visit (at least for a budget traveler like myself). A few ideas for the Hotel or tips for travelers:
- The email with your itinerary is a bit confusing (the way it is formatted). Read it carefully top to bottom a few times to make sure it's all clear to you!
- Bring a lock for your luggage. I didn't think about this and I'm glad I happened to have a spare hiding in my bag. Finland is a very safe place but you never know about the other tourists. If you are staying in the igloos then you can store your things there. But if you stay in the SnowHotel then you can only fit a carryon size bag in the lockers you are given. I had a checked luggage size suitcase (wouldn't fit in the lockers) so I had to store in their luggage room. So I made sure that bag was locked up. Is a good tip for the Hotel to share with people as well.
- You won't spend any time in your SnowHotel room other then when you go to sleep so I didn't bother booking the fancier snow hotel rooms (like the suites). I booked the simple/cheaper one. You can get a view / pictures of the other rooms on your included tour of the SnowHotel.
- If you are staying in the SnowHotel, bring something to store your wet swimsuit in. If you use the sauna, you will be naked. But if you go in the jacuzzi you would wear your swimsuit. After I got out of the jacuzzi, dried off, and blow dried my hair I didn't have anywhere to let my swimsuit dry (since I was going to go sleep in an ice cave). I didn't really want to stuff my wet suit in my locked suitcase in the luggage storage room. I ended up hanging it in my locker in the SnowHotel (it's a warm room) and luckily it didn't drip on anything else I had in there. If you are staying in the igloo then it's no problem since it's warm and you can just let your suit dry in your private bathroom.
- If you have downtime and just want to sit in a cozy lodge area there is a small room off the back of reception that you can hang out in (books, fireplace, newspapers). It's open 24 hours as well. I was visiting at the tail end of the season so the number of people around was pretty low. But I can imagine in busy times of the year this room could be hard to find seating in. It would be nicer to have a larger "lodge area" to hang out in and relax. Especially for people staying in the SnowHotel - once you check in during the afternoon then you need to keep busy until night time and it's nice to occasionally relax in the warmth rather than wandering through the cold all day. You can always go sit in the restaurant/breakfast area but that isn't a cosy lodge feeling (just sitting at a table rather than in a comfy chair at a fire).

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank Jessalyn D

Thank you for your thorough review and tips! We will look into those. For next winter season we are building a new Kota lounge where guests can spend time - this is ideal hangout place for those staying at SnowHotel. As you mention, it is easy to book a whole package through us and you save money when you book the package. The time does go quickly when you focus on simple things and relaxing as you mentioned and we hope to give our guests a relaxing holiday far from the hustle of the busy city life.