“Great holiday”
Review of Kresten Palace

Kresten Palace
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Koskinou
Reviewed 15 September 2017

My friend and I stayed at the Kresten Palace for a week early September. The staff really helped make our holiday extra special, especially in the restaurant (Anna and both Kostas'), the staff in the Spa and the superb cleaning teams! I'd highly recommend treating yourself to a massage in the spa, it was bliss! Spent some nice and relaxing days round the pool and at the beach. Would recommend the hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: Request a room with a sea view!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank stace244

Reviewed 12 September 2017

This was a lovely hotel. It was clean and well maintained. The staff were fantastic. We had a leaky toilet in our room. Reported it at reception and within 20 minutes they had sent two maintenance men to come and fix it. Before they left they said they would get housekeeping to come and clean up. Within a minute she was knocking on the door. We thought that they had fixed the issue and left the room for the day. My partner returned to get something from the room a few hours later and they was fitting a whole new cistern. The housekeeping lady made myself and my daughter smile with how she left my daughters teddies on her bed. The room was also spotless. Fantastic service. Pool was beautiful.

Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Just spent 7 fantastic days at this hotel with my family. We have 3 kids, 13, 3 and 1 years old. It was really great but here are a few things to bear in mind.

Arriving late - if you arrive late at night you can go straight to dinner (it is served between 7.00 - 9.30) and the reception staff will look after your bags for you. We arrived at 9.00 and was greeted very warmly, fed and watered. The staff in the restaurant also gave us bottles of water and a plate of fruit to take back to the room!

Late checkout – I would totally recommend putting in a request for a late check out if you are departing in the afternoon/evening. We left at 8.00 at Rhodes airport and were scheduled to be picked up by our travel company (Jet2) at 4.30-5.00. It meant we had another half day on the beach in the morning and a couple of hours in the pool after lunch (which was included in our full board) in the pool. You have to put a request in with reception and you only find out if they can offer you late check out the evening before your departure. It costs about 20 euro’s for a late check out I think, which we could settle on our bill before leaving.

The rooms - we had a family room with garden view. It was great and suited us perfectly. There were two rooms, one for the kids with twin beds, and one larger one for us with a huge double bed, and separate bathroom. There was also a cot provided for my 1 year old which we pre-booked through our travel company. The rooms are were always immaculately clean with plenty of storage, TV and air conditioned, which worked superbly and is free (no local extra charges for using it). You will need to keep the outside doors shut to make it work. Both rooms looked out/opened onto a large balcony which was secure and safe, even for my 1 year old who is toddling around. We had a set of table and chairs both inside and outside which were very useful. The electrics were a little odd, as you had to have the outside light on to get any of the lights to work but usefully all the windows had blackout curtains so no light came through. The TV has very few English channels but this was no problem for us as we hardly spent a minute watching TV or much in the room either! I suppose a sea view would be worth the extra but to be honest we liked the privacy of the garden view, we saw no one, heard no one and could relax thoroughly in that area without anyone seeing us. The room also had cupboards, bedside storage, a safe and a fridge. They give you lots of notices to put on the bed if you want sheets changed or room cleaned, which we never had to use as our bed sheets were changed pretty much every day and was immaculate every time we got back in the early afternoon. We had clean towels every day without fail. The cleaners are a wonderful team of dedicated people who keep the place polished and sparkling, not only in your room but all over the hotel. They also arranged the sheets and my children’s PJ’s in beautifully constructed butterflies on the bed every day. It was impressive.

The bathroom - is typical for Europe, tiled with a drain cover in the middle that had a tendency to produce soap suds over the floor if you use too much shampoo! The toilet was creaky and had to be treated with care, I am not sure it was entirely fixed to the floor very firmly! The shower was not the strongest and is over the bath. If you want to have a bath you need to take a universal plug as there was none provided. We also took stick on star non-slip mat so that the children did not slip in the bath whilst they were showering. Having said all of that there was endless hot water and clean towels so it was sufficient. They also provide nice little touches like bottles of complimentary shampoo, soap etc.

You will need to bring your own towels for the pool/beach. We found our towels got very sandy and a bit grubby at the beach so I would suggest taking one set for the pool and one set for the beach.

We used the safe during our stay to put our valuables in like our passports and wallets. It is easy to set up and cost about 20 – 30 euro’s for the week which we put on our bill and settled at the end of our stay.

Dining - Firstly I would say that the staff in the dining room are truly wonderful. We were looked after by Eva and Eleni (in fact all of the staff are were really excellent) who work the right hand quarter of the dining room. If you have kids they are the ones to head too. They frequently went well beyond the call of duty in looking after us, giving us fruit and water for the kids. They even minded the children for us one morning when I was not feeling well, dispatching peppermint tea with my husband for me to have in bed! They adored the kids, and treated us with such care and warmth that it was genuinely sad to say goodbye to them at the end of the week. We were full board, so breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is 8.00 - 10.00 am, Lunch is 12.30 - 2.00, and dinner is 7.00 - 9.30. On the whole the food was really good. There was always something new to try, and if you are less adventurous then you can have all the usuals like eggs, bacon, beans, skinny fries, chips, cheese, breads, salads and tons of pasta. If you want to try something local there is always Greek food on offer, along with German, Italian, cakes, Turkish delight (which is to die for, the best I have ever tasted). We had one night out of 7 that we felt was a bit poor for choice but still found something to eat that was ok. The feta is so white and creamy it is lovely and there are tons of olives, many are grated (without the pips) which the younger kids found useful. They serve juices for the kids in carafe's and table wine, red, white and rose, one carafe per adult. The red is a little rough but the rose was lovely. They do not serve coffee at lunch or dinner. There was never a queue, or a rush, and always plenty of food. They never ran out of anything. The kids loved the deserts; masses of trifles, blancmange, cakes, jelly and tons of fresh fruit. My 1 year old lived off plates and plates of beautiful fresh watermelon and now won't eat anything else! We did take enough packet food (Ella’s kitchen pouches etc) for the baby for a week but found we did not get through it all as she was happy eating the food provided. The baby-food pouches WERE useful for those snack times when the baby was suddenly hungry and we didn’t want to leave the pool or beach and on the day we went out for an excursion! A word of warning the staff get in trouble with the manager if food is dropped everywhere so they were always cleaning up round the baby and appeared sometimes a little frustrated when the baby did drop stuff on the floor. Also there are not very many high chairs so if you go at busy times you may not get one. We took a chair-wrap for the baby so that if there was not a chair we could strap her to the regular chair and this would have worked fine too, although Eleni and Eva worked miracles and miraculously produced a chair for us every meal!

The only thing I would say about full board is that we felt a little bit like we were slaves to the dining room. All three meals are served right up in the dining room in the hotel. From the beach or even the pool it is a bit of a trek and some days we felt like we would have liked not to have to get ourselves there. It would be great if you could have your meal in the cafe by the pool but it simply does not work like that, they could not have produced the volume of food needed and served it there. If you go out for the day and are full board you can order a packed lunch the day before. Its not great, dry ham and cheese sandwiches and fruit but you have paid for it so you might as well take advantage of it. It was probably the least appetizing thing we were given to eat.

Men will need long trousers for evening meals in the dining room. All other meals they seemed to be quite happy with shorts for the guys and crazy skimpy sun dresses for the girls.

Greek Night - Mondays, served outside on the terrace. This is charged at extra cost but IS worth it. It was a really fun entertaining night. The food is authentic Greek and really really good. I think we paid about 20 euro's for the 5 of us (did not have to pay for the under 5's). It is worth noting that you have to pay for Greek night with cash so worth taking some with you ready for things like this. The entertainment is wonderfully cheesy but everyone has such a good time, the staff are so jolly it is totally infectious and we had a really great evening. There are lots of surprises, dancing, drinking games for the dads, and more so definitely book a table for this, you won't regret it., The only thing that was a little unpleasant was the hornets and wasps that mobbed the food and plates at the beginning of the evening. We were lucky as the wind picked up and they all got blown away but it might have been different if it had not. They do have wasp traps but I don't think they make much difference unfortunately.

The pool - was really great, good size, very clean and never ever crowded. There were more than enough sun loungers (and the hotel was completely booked up when we were there) but there is one very odd issue with swimming in the pool. It is freezing cold?! The weather was perfect during our stay, averaging around 30 degrees each day so I was dumbstruck to find the water so cold? After a few days I worked out that freezing cold water is pumped in through vents in the bottom and it makes it impossible for our younger kids to play for longer than 30 minutes or so before they came out blue to the lips and shivering. This was the most disappointing part of the hotel in my opinion! There is talk of the sloped entrance being slippy but I never saw or experienced this. The aqua aerobics and volleyball were, for us a little annoying, the music is loud but they were short and sweet so tolerable. There is a small fish shaped pool by the adult end of the pool which is perfect for toddlers, it came up to the waist height of my 1 year old and was a lot warmer. It is tiny though so will only take about 3 kids and then its pretty squished. Watch out for the loungers, if you sit on the end it tips forward and you can get a clonk on the head! The pool bar is very good but the drinks are not cheap. My kids had hot chocolate (to warm up!!) every day in the afternoon. They do serve a limited menu for lunch there too but we always went up to the main restaurant.

Playgrounds - there are two kids playgrounds one by the pool which is pretty old but fully functioning, and one by the terrace which we found much more useful for our pre-school aged children. A good stop-off on the way to dinner.

Excursions - There is a shuttle bus that goes from the hotel to Rhodes. This is booked at the hotel reception and paid in cash only to the receptionist. It cost no more than 20 euro’s for the 5 of us (don’t think we paid for the under 5’s). We left at 10.00 am and returned at 8.30 in the evening which was exhausting. The bus is extremely efficient, air conditioned, the driver is charming and will help you best he can when you get there. You can take a pram as long as it can fold up and go in the luggage bit under the bus. The bus stops at the TOWN HALL, this is where you will get picked up to go home. I would advise you take a map with you on this day and get the driver to mark on the map where you are when he drops you off so you can find your way back ok! The old town in Rhodes is really lovely, as is the incredible fort. You can also take boat trips just along from the bus. Rhodes old town is cobbles so if you have a pram or are uncertain on your feet it can be a bit hard work! We bought lovely things to take home like ceramics, Ouzo etc and didn’t feel too wiped out by the prices. There are great places to eat for dinner in Rhodes and soak up the atmosphere of this beautiful city. Try Aktaiou restaurant for really great Greek food, full of locals so it must be good, and you can drop your kid off at the all day crèche, which has a bouncy castle, soft play, trampoline and ball pit for just 3.50 euro’s! My 3 year old played in there while we had dinner together, bliss! Its also really close to where you get picked up for your ride home so a useful location for an evening meal.

The shop - this is a great little place to get things that you may need during your stay like snacks etc. We were advised not to drink the water so bought a big 6 pack of water at the beginning of the week which cost very little. We also bought some things like presents at reasonable costs for the neighbors etc. They also sell floats, pool noodles, sun cream, hats, snorkels, post cards, swim nappies, and some other devices that you might not want the kids to look at too closely! They sell beach towels too if you don’t bring one with you, you can always get one here.

The Beach - is really beautiful. We walked down there first thing in the morning and it was spectacular. The water is so warm and if you like snorkeling you will be in heaven. I went out first thing in the morning about 7 am and swam through a shoal of about 500 huge silver and yellow fish. It was magical and I felt like I was swimming in an aquarium. I also saw bright yellow and black sea slugs, catfish, rainbow colored fish, pipe fish, and tons of red and yellow crabs. The best time to snorkel is definitely first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon when the crabs come out to feed on the rocks. The beach is stony but there is some sand that can be utilized for sandcastle making so bring a bucket if you have kids! We all appreciated our sea shoes that we pretty much wore every time we went in. The little naturally enclosed bay is warm, safe and clean as you could wish for so perfect for kids or less confident swimmers. There are plenty of sun loungers here and we never found that there were not enough. It cost 10.50 euro’s for 3 loungers. You will need cash for this though so be prepared. The guy taking the money is very relaxed though and charming as everyone is at this hotel. He comes around 11 in the morning and sometimes again in the afternoon. The downside is that it is a trek to get back all the way to the main restaurant for lunch though and in the middle of the day heat this was tiresome for the little kids. The path is either a rocky rough path cut right next to the cliff down to the beach or steps that are quite steep but very wide and sturdy. Our trusted little umbrella folding pram made it down and up every day so it is possible if you need to push a little one there.

The reception - staff here are incredibly helpful. We thought our air conditioning was not working (in fact we had not switched it on!) and they arranged for a technician to come immediately and fix it. They are only too happy to help you and speak a fantastic array of languages. They can arrange the safe for your use in the hotel room which we found incredibly useful. They also take bookings for the shuttle bus to Rhodes, have info about getting public busses to Lindos etc, and can take your booking for Greek night. They also sort out the use of the safe in your room.

Tipping – we were not sure what the deal was with tipping, so just went with our gut feeling. We tipped the porter for taking us to our room and he nearly died with happiness! The restaurant staff were equally surprised and thrilled and finally we left all our loose change for the cleaners on the morning of our departure who left us a special note to say thank you!

The church - worth a visit whilst you are waiting for your transfer for your flight. This tiny church was built for the employees and is located out the front of the hotel. It has beautiful hand painted frescos and stained glass windows.

All in all this is a nice hotel, great for families but is now slightly showing its 25 year old age a bit! It needs makeover to make it truly a 4 star hotel as the bathrooms are in need of modernization. The staff, however make it a wonderful place to be. Everyone we encountered was exception in their role, kind, generous with their time, warm and friendly. They will fall over themselves to make your stay as enjoyable as possible so for that reason alone we would recommend it highly and will be coming back again.

Room Tip: Sea view or garden view rooms are best.
4  Thank Sonya B
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Nice clean hotel, loos out towards Rhodes Town, staff helpful and attentive, hotel shop selling clothes, ice cream, gifts, toiletries, alcohol, soft drinks, a few sandwiches and crisps. Another "boutique" hotel in reception selling bags, lights, gifty things!. Bar in lower area only open in the evening. Restaurant providing buffet dining. We only had breakfast, but I personally didn't think much to it, ie eggs rubbery, bacon more like warm ham, milk was long life which put kids off having cereal. There was usually some entertainment on each evening such as a greek night with BBQ. We had a family room which comprised of a 2 adjoining rooms, 2nd room didn't have an en-suite. Bed was huge, it was like a double bed each. Pillows were quite soft and you only got one each, there was another in a cupboard but I suppose if we'd asked we could of had more. There was a small fridge which kept our bottled water cool, but not really cold. There was also a mini safe (charged at 2 euro per day). Beds were made daily and towels changed daily. There was also big sliding patio doors from both rooms leading to a terraced/balcony area (great for drying towels and swimsuits etc). The terrace outside the restaurant and all around the pool were polished tiles, these were very slippery when wet, so always wear footwear. Pool was great for kids, started at ankle deep and went to chin deep at the deepest part (I'm 5'3") pool was "divided" by a bridge so you can judge how far to let the kids go before getting out of their depths. Pool bar/restaurant open all day selling drinks, snacks and meals. Closed at 7pm which annoyed my kids as the wanted the pool after a hot day sightseeing. Great hotel as a base, not much else to do if you just want to stay at the hotel. Walk about a mile to some shops, bars and tavernas in Koskinou, but pavement aren't massive so watch if walking with kids.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in august for our summer holiday. Staff were very helpful, really clean hotel, grounds, pool and rooms. Good setting and facilities
WiFi good throughout wouldn't bother with the premium as never needed it

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koskinou
0.9 km away
42.8 km away
Lindos Imperial Resort & Spa
6.1 km away
Avra Beach Resort Hotel - Bungalows

Been to Kresten Palace? Share your experiences!