Mount Vernon
Rathbaun Hotel(Lisdoonvarna)
USD 105
USD 93
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 109/night.

USD 134
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 165/night.

USD 186
Gregans Castle Hotel(Ballyvaughan)
USD 418
Cappabhaile House(Ballyvaughan)
Ballyvaughan Lodge(Ballyvaughan)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsflaggy shoreporridgegarden roomhonor barstayed for nightsquayireland
Reviewed 29 July 2015

Mt Vernon is a beautiful home that sits on the Flaggy Shore. If you want an experience that transports you to another time this is where you'll want to stay. We were greeted by Mark and he is so nice and friendly - funny too. He was very helpful with suggestions on where to eat and what to see. The house is eclectic with wonderful collections and a fire in the gorgeous and warm living room is sure to greet you every evening. We stayed 2 nights but would have loved to have stayed a week. The breakfasts were delicious with choices. They were taken in the dining room seated at the dining room table with a view of the bay. We were 4 friends traveling and each evening we played our card game in front of the fire. There's an honor bar which offered everything you could possibly desire in the way of spirits. We shared the two "Garden" rooms. We couldn't have been more comfortable! Bravo Mark!

Room Tip: Wifi is available in the main living room. Garden rooms were both lovely!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Waysandmeans
Reviewed 1 July 2015

We stayed here, unfortunately for just one night, but enjoyed our comfortable garden room and our host Mark's hospitality and cuisine. Delicious dinner with our guests and breakfast. Nice walks along the coast and in the Burren.

Room Tip: Wifi in office only, probably all rooms very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 121bw
Reviewed 29 May 2015

As part of the hidden Ireland program of historic homes serving as B&Bs, I think MV suits just fine. My room with en suite bathroom was comfortable and had a nice view of the garden, which I loved. However some of the "guidelines" about how things operate and where things go were not covered with me. So for the two days I was there I felt a bit at odds and not very relaxed. The breakfast was great and the location was idyllic - on the Galway Bay. The Burren was basically out the back door and many other things to explore. Having to do it again, I would probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: The best room that I saw was overlooking the small garden.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
5  Thank Terri S
Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

Just returned from a three stay at Mount Vernon. This was our first visit to this spot and candidly we weren't sure exactly what to expect. In short, it was a just great.

The house is beautiful with terrific character and a wonderful history. It's a very quiet setting with fantastic views and we enjoyed the fact that there are only four guest rooms. We loved our room which was very comfortable and had a fabulous view. Mark was a great host and a pleasure to converse with on a variety of subjects. We chose to dine there while visiting and found the food to be very good.

We would certainly visit Mount Vernon again if our travels in the future take us to this area.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We would like to share with others our reflections on a recent visit to Mount Vernon Co Clare listed in your current hidden ireland. My husband and, sister and 16 month old baby were truly looking forward to an inspirational stay in a house steeped in the literary culture of Ireland .

On arrival we were initially greeted by a seemly cordial and accommodating host who welcomed us and showed us around the house. Once we were settled into our rooms my sister politely requested if she could have a cup of coffee to enjoy outside. Mark delivered a categorical refusal sating that coffe should not be taken after 6 pm. She was rather taken aback and once again asked for it to be possible but Mark emphasised that the three Ts were not provided in this house. My sister said she appreciated his views and wondered if she could just have boiling water since she had her own supply of instant coffee. Once again Mark was adamant that coffee could not and should not be provided and so boiling water was not available. This response was in contradiction to the visitors guide in the rooms which stated that whilst coffee was not available in the rooms, one only had to ask for anything that was required. At 180 € per couple this response was simply outrageous.

We circumvented this seeming faux on Marks part by immersing ourselves in the obvious beauty and tasteful ambiance of the house. Indeed we still considered joining Mark for a proposed meal on the next evening. After returning from a meal at a local restaurant we found the house to be exceedingly cold . The fire had gone out and we struggled with the cold in the sitting room. We quickly retired to bed to keep warm. We had serious concerns about how our baby would cope with the chill of the house. Before retiring to bed we followed marks instructions to fill in a scribbled sheet indicating our breakfast choices. However, these ' choices' did not stretch further than 5 columns. Each one devoted to a single item, eg, one column for bacon another for tomato another for sausage another fir egg. Given there was one other guest in the house it seemed an odd request. We were also disappointed there was no breakfast menu.

The following morning proved to be even more challenging temperature wise. My husband was very reluctant to leave the comfort of his bed due to the coldness of the room. When I called on my sister in her room before breakfast she was huddled in bed fully clothed!

Mark invited us to the breakfast room but stated that he had to leave at 10 am for a medical appointment. At this stage I was feeding my child and it was at 9.20 am. Therefore, he indicated that I needed to start breakfast so that he could leave at the appointed time. We quickly got settled into the room to receive breakfast. Prior to being seated whilst my sister and mark discussed sightseeing routes she mentioned to him in a polite manner that the house was very cold . He disagreed and said that he did not feel the cold. He then asked how she would deal with the temperature in February.

Breakfast was duly produced and whilst the presentation was impressive we had to note that the bacon was ' incinerated' .Each slice was burnt and blackened. On tasting the susagues it became clear they were sour and gone off. In addition to this the brown bread was quite obviously stale and hard. This had to be the worst breakfast we have ever experienced in any house from the hidden Ireland group. In fact the worst breakfast out of all the places we have ever stayed in.

We tried to remain positive and we politely pointed these things out to Mark when he returned. On hearing the sausages were gone off he sated that ' I have had them tested in Galway for sodium and I have been told they are fine' . This response seemed rather strange and unrelated and so we reiterated our concern. He reluctantly agreed the sausages were gone off and that the bacon was burnt. When we asked about the bread he agreed that it was not fresh and was at least three days old. Mark indicated that there was nothing unusual about this as it was impossible to have deliveries on a daily basis. This was in complete contrast to descriptions of freshly baked bread described on the website. Mark proceeded to make snide comments which made us very unccomforatable ...for example ' let me remove the offending sausages' and ' you may not have had a breakfast but at least you have an egg from happy hens....do let me know if they are unhappy hens '.!

Mark returned to the dining room stating that he had tasted the sausages and that he agreed they were sour. He made no further comment. Our conversation returned to the scenery and our itinerary for the day. During the conversation Mark enquired if we had obviously experienced hidden Ireland houses . We had a good discussion about some great houses. However, when we mentioned the blue book Mark was quite dismissive of such establishments stating they were commercialised hotels with uniformed staff. I disagreed stating this was not how I experienced the accommodation from the blue book.

At this point my husband made a polite request to have the heating turned on in the evening to which Mark responded ' I think you should leave, you are not the right people for this house' . We we completely shocked and taken aback and tried to reason with him stating that it was not an unusual request and that it did not take away from the beauty of the house. We proceeded to state the house was beautiful and that we had looked forward to this stay for some time. However, Mark was adamant that he was not putting on any heating and that he could not provide the service we required. He the stated that we should find a hotel that would be mire suited to us. I tried to speak with him about the fact that asking for heat was not an unusual request and that being asked to leave for this reason was rather extream. He sat with his head in his hands proclaiming ' the situation does not feel right' and that we should leave. We reluctantly packed up our belongings which needless to say caused us considerable stress especially with a 16 month old baby.

We did point out to Mark that we are regular visitors to hidden ireland establishments and that we are very familiar with the differences between such houses and hotels but that at least we expected heat and fresh food.

Given the description of the house and it's connection to the culture and heritage of Ireland we really were shocked beyond belief at such treatment. The gentleman in question displayed a flagrant disregard for the basic expectations of any level of accommodation ranging from refusing hot water from a kettle to no heating to food that was quite clearly unacceptable. Whilst mark did not charge for the night we stayed with him it was a very stressful situation to be in with a young baby and two other adults. We had planned theses two nights carefully and despite some negative comments on trip advisor we were prepared to only consider the positive ones.

Mark is allegedly upholding the values and standards identified in the hidden Ireland. As far back as 2008 complaints similar to ours relating to the coldness of the house, the frugality of the breakfasts and his rudeness appear on trip advisor and yet he is still functioning as a supposedly 'quality ' The responses to concerns on trip advisor are indeed very strange. It is highly unusual for a proprietor to openly disagree with a customers views in such a condescending and cynical manner. No doubt Mark will disagree with our description of our experience. We still remain upset and stressed by the whole experience. Judging by the comments on this accommodation you either get treated like royalty or outcasts. Sadly we were the latter.

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
23  Thank JeddahJeddah
Goldensmile, Owner at Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Unfortunately the behaviour and attitude of these guests made it impossible for us to provide hospitality for them during their brief stay.There was no charge applied for the accommodation provided.