All reviewsflaggy shoreporridgegarden roomspent two nightshonor barfurnishingsfireplacequayirelandcountryside
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Mount Vernon was recommended by a previous B&B owner. What a delightful surprise as we drove up to find such a lovely treasure by the sea! To walk in and smell the most beautiful aroma of yellow roses, a crackling fire and a glass of wine...I felt like I was home! The home is beautifully furnished and immaculate. We were sorry that we missed Ally but Mark was a great host! Delicious breakfast! I loved the porridge!
A planned one night stay turned into a two night stay. A perfect place to rest and recover! The gardens are a perfect place to spend an afternoon reading a book and having a devoted Springer Spaniel, Maisy as a companion! Walking along the shoreline was invigorating!
We will return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanwarr
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Mount Vernon was recommended to us by previous hosts & we weren't disappointed. Ally & Mark have restored the house immaculately & were charming & helpful with our future plans. It is a very tranquil location by the water & the Burren. Ally organised us a walk with a guide on the Burren which was fantastic despite the sleeting rain! We are in Ireland after all!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We just got back from a lovely stay with Ally and Mark in Mt Vernon. I definitely wanted to add my review here, especially after I saw some of the more negative comments. I feel sure that any negative reviews have been left by people who have a very warped expectation of what it is to stay in a historic guesthouse, and would perhaps be more comfortable at a Hilton or Marriot.

I have stayed in 5 star luxury resorts and in small boutique B&Bs all over the world, and I am very aware of what each has to offer. I would never gauge a stay at somewhere like Mt Vernon on the same scale as staying at the Four Season – they just aren’t even trying to offer the same thing at all! What Mt Vernon does offer is a beautiful and picturesque location in a quiet and charming part of Ireland. The house is originally Georgian and possesses a faded and authentic feel of what it must be like to live in a small country estate. We loved sitting by the fire in the evenings, and having a drink from the self-service bar. We also enjoyed a fabulous meal one evening, with Mark even catering to two non-fish people despite his better instincts.

Breaksfasts are generous, well-cooked, and very tasty. How anyone could fault the food is beyond me! We probably gained a few pounds each just from the 3 days of hearty starts.

The king bed rooms are massive, with extremely comfortable beds and a generous sitting area. We slept very well with the sound of the sea and rain and nothing else. I peeked at the other rooms as well, and they all appeared to be of good size and well stocked with amenities (although without the three Ts of course!). There is wireless available, but don’t expect the signal to work everywhere or to be super fast…this is not a city, and Mt Vernon doesn’t have a fast internet connection. Try turning off the computer for a few days though, and simply enjoy the quiet country live that Mt Vernon has on offer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BetteNoir
Reviewed 14 June 2011

You really are treated like an old friend at this lovely country manor home.

Mark and Ally are warm, knowledgable and entertaining hosts, at the ready with books, maps, and stories to bring Mt. Vernon and the Burren alive for their guests.

Mt. Vernon is decorated with lovely antiques, an amazing art collection and eclectic pieces Mark and Ally have picked up on their travels. Every place you turn, your eye lights on some new treasure to investigate. But don't think antiques means stuffy. This home exudes warmth and comfort from the colors of the walls to the over stuffed couches and chairs.

The bedrooms are large (we were a party of seven so we saw 4 of the rooms), with lovely views of the water or the garden. The beds are very comfortable with super dense down pillows and comforters, and crisp sheets.

Every evening before dinner, we gathered in the drawing room, by the warm fire for cocktails. What a treat that was after a long day of sightseeing! And it was laid out for us - all we did was show up!

Dinner was absolutely delicious! Mark converted my non-fish-eating Brother into a fish-eater after one dinner. Breakfast included Ally's homemade jams and breads, cereal, eggs, toast, yogurt and fruit, sausage, bacon, fresh juices. Anything you want, really and very tasty.

I really can't put into words how luck we felt to have the opportunity to stay at Mt. Vernon. It's a special place, and Mark and Ally are special people. I felt sad when we had to leave, but I guess that's the best way to end a vacation...wanting to come back. And I definately want to come back to Mt. Vernon.

Room Tip: Summer is their busy time, so book early.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We recently returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland and our last stop was with Mark Helmore, the owner of Mt. Vernon. It is in a great location to visit the Burren, the countryside and its Irish charm or Galway. We had a super time there, as Mark is a phenomenal host: a super cook who made the most perfect eggs each morning... and oh so interesting to chat with as well! The accommodations are very comfortable and Mark went out of his way to make sure the fireplace roared every night...the house is packed with books and so if you only want to chill, it is perfect for that as well. We stayed in the Green Room and loved it...that room opens to their beautiful garden and I had a blast taking photos there. The view from the front door is of Galway Bay...so beautiful as well...And I must mention that Ally, his wife is an excellent bread maker...simply the best hearty grained bread ever! Her blackberry jam is superb and I could not resist bringing it back with me. This would also be a super place to visit with a group, since they have about 5 rooms...it is a wonderful manor house with an excellent location and good restaurants nearby for dinner too. Mark will also cook dinner for you with advance notice...[so that makes it a restaurant?...] It's a great place to relax as Mark believes in life without the 3 T's: telephone, television and tea in the room...and he's also very funny!

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed wonderful to me..
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple