All reviews crinan canal seafood excellent meal scallops varied menu lovely food residents lounge watching the boats main course first floor lovely location dinner menu enjoyable stay stayed here for one night tea and coffee short break lock
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have had a wonderful meal in the bar at the hotel, the menu was interesting and different from the usual suspects,with a real emphasis on local fish dishes.
The meals were excellent value and of restaurant quality.
The only slight downfall for us, was that the hotel is not dog friendly, I know this might not suit everyone, but when on holiday in the UK, this is one of the main reasons that dog owners visit Scotland, especially out of season.
We come from the Lake District and nearly all the cafes and pubs etc cater for dogs, as does The Cotswolds, why can't Scotland !!!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Having passed though the area and had lunch at Cairnbaan on several occasions I decided it was time we actually stayed.

The hotel is right by one of the Crinan canal's locks however arriving late afternoon in the rain we didn't see much of the view but sat for a while in some comfort in the conservatory watching the downpour outside and making use of a fine stocked bar.

Dinner was every bit as good as our previous lunches with local produce - seafood in the majority - featuring highly on the menu, and the hospitality we received during our stay was second to none.

The main building itself dates back to the early nineteenth century (indeed for part of its existance it's been a motor inn and a temperance hotel) so our room and bathroom were spacious and well-lit with all the modern amenities of central heating, multi-channel television and free wifi. The modern extension houses the bar, conservatory and restaurant.

All in all I cannot find a single thing to say in criticism - even the weather failed to dampen our spirits!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

We had booked the Hotel at Cairnbaan on their website. It was doing a special winter rate for one night, dinner , bed & breakfast. We arrived after a drive from Edinburgh on the Saturday, which was a cold , wet one. After driving down from Oban we got to the hotel mid afternoon. On arriving we were made very welcome by the lady at reception. Our twin room on the first floor was warm, clean , comfortable and had a view towards the Crinan Canal. There was tea, coffee & biscuits. The TV we had was Free view, but we didn't even switch it on. The bathroom was really quite large , with a bath/shower.
The Bar and front lounge area were used for Dinner, as there were only a few diners that evening. The menu was excellent with plenty of choice, especially the fish & shellfish. I went for Cullen Skink as a starter. It was really excellent , full of fish , well seasoned, just what we needed on a cold, wet evening. I ordered a Red wine from the reasonably priced menu. It could seem expensive but the Argentinian variety I chose was excellent in bouquet & taste. For the main course I went for a Fish Pie , while my partner went for a Venison burger. My dish was very hot so I had to wait a few minutes until I could start. Overall it was nice, but a bit gloopy. My partner liked his course. The owner asked us how we liked the food & drink.
We relaxed afterwards in the front lounge which had sofas & tables. It was such a nice feeling to sit back and sip on a drink after.
The breakfast the next morning was excellent. I went for scrambled egg with local smoked salmon, and my partner had locally smoked kippers.
I will certainly consider coming here again. It is near to Crinan, Lochgilphead, Kilmartin and loads of coastline waiting to be discovered.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I came to stay at Cairnbaan Hotel with a business associate 10th Jan 2013 and was most impressed with the food, which was on par with some of the best meals I have had. The host was a typical 'life and soul', very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The staff were of similar ilk, and more besides (that Lorna - wow! what a babe!) and in all a most enjoyable stay. Highly recommended and I hope that our business may take us back at some point!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Have a stay in the Cairnbaan! Just back from a 3 night DBB break. Would echo all the good stuff said below. From the moment we arrived to an invitingly welcoming hotel (external lighting) to the moment we left, loved it. Nice spacious room, delicious food (scallops best ever), good ambience, great service by management and staff alike, and superb value. Punching above its weight for a 3*.
Beautiful area, took our bikes and cycled up to Crinan (note, nothing open for a coffee during January), lovely walk up back of hotel to "rings", Dunadd Fort also worth a look.

Years since we've been to Argyll, but will definitely return and Cairnbaan will be hotel of choice, bar none. Thanks everyone!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple